Woj: Casey will be back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Disagree. MLSE has close to $2,000,000,000 in equity. It doesn't sound believable that they'd sweat over 1 year of Casey, despite how many other expenses they just incurred.

Casey's here because Masai wants him here.
    Keeping DC is not to save money. MU obviously wants him back for whatever reason seems baffling but nonetheless this is MU's decision.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
      Keeping DC is not to save money. MU obviously wants him back for whatever reason seems baffling but nonetheless this is MU's decision.

I keep telling myself this is a transition year.

I guess we will know in another 2 months or so.

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
        Yea I guess that's a good example. Babcock has been to the playoffs 10 years straight, Pop has done it longer. I guess only difference I can think of is that Babcock also coached at the national level.. that's the reason I used Krzyzewski.

A Raptor fan can only dream of getting that level of coaching chops to come here..
        Pop was on the team USA coaching staff from 2002 to 2004. Eerily similar resumes, except Pop has more championships.

But I'm a Lightning fan so I hope the Leafs stay nice and mediocre.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
          But I'm a Lightning fan so I hope the Leafs stay nice and mediocre.
          Babs is a good coach, but I honestly think he's being grossly overrated by the local media. He's not a magician. He's had top tier talent with every team he's coached. And improving the Queefs' talent will be tough with Phaneuf and Kessel eating up so much of the cap.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
            Babs is a good coach, but I honestly think he's being grossly overrated by the local media. He's not a magician. He's had top tier talent with every team he's coached. And improving the Queefs' talent will be tough with Phaneuf and Kessel eating up so much of the cap.
            Maybe that's why he has 8 years to figure things out...
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
              The Leafs just spent the big bucks to hire a very good coach in Mike Babcock but their roster is still terrible. Let's see if it was worth it to get a coach who can teach winning ways. Let's see if this translates to actually winning.
              MLSE faceless board member #1: "Masai Ujiri has requested permission to fire his coach with a year left on his contract."
              MLSE faceless board member #2: "How much will that cost?"
              MLSE faceless board member #1: "$4 000 000"
              MLSE faceless board member #2: "Forget it. No. Next item."
              MLSE faceless board member #3: "Brendan Shanahan has requested approval to hire a new coach. He reports a cost increase over the budgeted amount."
              MLSE faceless board member #2: "How much?"
              MLSE faceless board member #3: "$50 000 000"
              MLSE Faceless board member #2 "Yes. Let's do it. Boom. Next item."
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                MLSE faceless board member #1: "Masai Ujiri has requested permission to fire his coach with a year left on his contract."
                MLSE faceless board member #3: "Brendan Shanahan has requested approval to hire a new coach. He reports a cost increase over the budgeted amount."
                Must have been a pretty scary looking boardroom with all those faceless people hanging around.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                  Scary thing with having media companies as your owners, is that you have to factor in the TV ratings. Raps draw 1/3 of even an Argos game, unbelievably. And 1/4 of the dreg Leafs. And 1/2 of what the Jays draw. So if budget is tied to TV revenue, then it might actually be possible that the Raps have a much smaller budget to play with. If it's all about eyeballs generating revenues these days, then the Raps are a bit player to MLSE. People on this board probably have a pretty distorted view of how important the Raps are to the average Toronto sports fan.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                    Scary thing with having media companies as your owners, is that you have to factor in the TV ratings. Raps draw 1/3 of even an Argos game, unbelievably. And 1/4 of the dreg Leafs. And 1/2 of what the Jays draw. So if budget is tied to TV revenue, then it might actually be possible that the Raps have a much smaller budget to play with. If it's all about eyeballs generating revenues these days, then the Raps are a bit player to MLSE. People on this board probably have a pretty distorted view of how important the Raps are to the average Toronto sports fan.
                    Serious? A third of an Argos game? Were they playing the Roughriders?
                    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                      I don't think the spending is the problem. It's how the money is spent.

Comment

• Employee wrote: View Post
                        Serious? A third of an Argos game? Were they playing the Roughriders?
                        Well there are 82 raptors games vs 18 cfl games, so still more total viewers, but that is very surprising.
                        "Bruno?
                        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                          Well there are 82 raptors games vs 18 cfl games, so still more total viewers, but that is very surprising.
                          Not really when you consider the CFL is pretty popular (I'm a pretty big Argos fan myself) and it's also pretty damn hard to find out exactly what channel the Raptors play on.

Channel location should definitely be taken into account.
                          Last edited by Just Is; Thu May 21, 2015, 11:03 PM.
                          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

I know. I had to double-take when I saw it too. Here's the Sun article from mid-way through the season.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/11/22...ork-to-be-done

TORONTO - The sizzling Toronto Raptors are ecstatic over their rising television ratings in Canada. Their early season numbers are up well over 100% from a year ago.

That’s reason to celebrate, sort of.

To understand where they are and how difficult their fight for widespread acceptance is, consider this: Most Raptors games this season have drawn audiences of somewhere around 250,000.

That is about half what the average Blue Jays game draws over the course of a summer. It is about one-third of what the average Argos game does on TV. And the Maple Leafs draw over a million pretty much every win, loss or post-game salute. The CFL playoff games of this weekend past did a combined audience of more than two million viewers.

That the Raptors are nearing 300,000 and are excited by their rise in more than the standings is both illuminating and somewhat frustrating.

If all people want is winning, more should be watching. Inside the Air Canada Centre, a Raptors game is the loudest, smartest, most entertaining ticket in town. Outside, the penetration awaits. The inside and the outside have yet to mesh for reasons both sporting and sociological. Slowly, surely, the increase in is coming. The franchise is 20 years old: And still, despite all the breakthroughs, it searches to find its place.

Comment

• I'm still lost for words as 2 why he is coming back..It's inconceivable that he will get fired,but my gut tells me,raps will start crappy and he will b let go,replaced by assistant coach. Raps should of done what Leafs did today,get a championship caliber coach.
                              "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                              My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

Just Is wrote: View Post
                                Not really when you consider the CFL is pretty popular (I'm a pretty big Argos fan myself) and it's also pretty damn hard to find out exactly what channel the Raptors play on.

Channel location should definitely be taken into account.
                                Also, I couldn't find the info in the article, but considering these are mostly national broadcasts, Argos games would be drawing fans from both teams, correct? So you'd have not only Toronto viewership, but that of the other team's market as well. A TSN broadcast of Argos vs. Stampeders is going to get both Toronto and Calgary markets. Raptors vs. OKC on TSN is only getting the Raptors market, obviously.

And yeah, 18 games vs. 82. Article states Raptors viewership is 1/3 of Argos, but that Leaf games are just over 4x the viewership, which means an Argos game is not even that much less than a Leafs game. I'd expect the double-market viewership + short season are the reasons.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X