Woj: Casey will be back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bandit wrote: View Post
    There is the belief that a coach could be teaching bad habits, instilling the wrong values and actually preventing growth from your youth. If Masai believes any of those things were true then it would be worth paying 2-for-1
    Casey is absolutely teaching bad habits. First and foremost, he admitted to prioritizing offense over defense. Defense and accountability are core principles that cannot be compromised if you're building a solid foundation for a playoff team. You cannot make that tradeoff.

It's kind of like allowing your kids to eat a bowl of candy as long as they eat their vegetables. Then they stopped eating their vegetables, and somebody stole their candy. Everybody's pissed.

The scary part is that Masai has repeatedly praised Casey as being a big part of building a great culture here. If MU looks at the team defense and player accountability and truly believes the culture is moving in the right direction, then that seriously disappoints me. I really hope that's just for public consumption to keep the perceived value of his assets high. Those exact same players went from 10th in defense last year (after a poor start) to 26th this year. That's not culture building, that's culture demolition with the Jay Triano habits coming back hard.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
      Why is RR so high on Thibs?

He is a one-dimensional coach. Yes he has consistently been able to produce a top-flight defense, but his offense is BAD. Like Casey-bad but with better players and better rotations. In the playoffs the Bulls offense pretty much relies on Rose and Butler ISO's while under-utilizing Noah's and Gasol's passing skills as big men in the posts...

I say we hunt for a balanced head coach who values both sides of the ball, who is young, who has no prior NBA head coaching experience, is willing to try new things, value preparation of his players, clearly communicates what he wants from his players, and has a serious commitment to the development of young players.

When you find a coach like that who is willing to work with the Front Office, you start to shape the identity of the team, you know as a player you are going to be working for MU and playing Coach X's style. No exceptions, you know what to expect, and you know what to do to fit with the organization.

Thibs is good for part of that, but his offensive side is so limited that outside of having a top 3 talent in the East that is dedicated to passing and making his teammates better...will never go anywhere.
      Not sure how your assessment of Thibs coaching (off.) compares favourably with the following. One thing he is not is allow his allstar/mvp point guard make public pronouncements which he deems incorrect...and then follows up with why he disagrees. Of course he has more talent but he is also an great adjuster to circumstances including injuries and player movement.

Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau needed to correct his point guard Saturday.

Derrick Rose said earlier this week that the offense now gives players more freedom to play to their strengths.

“It’s the same offense we’ve been running,’’ Thibodeau said when asked if he agreed with Rose. “I really don’t [agree with him] because it’s really the same offense we’ve been running for years. All I know is, it works a lot better when he plays.’’

Rose is playing. So are Pau Gasol, Nikola Mirotic and Aaron Brooks. That has contributed to the Bulls’ averaging 103.4 points per game (eighth in the NBA) after never averaging more than 98.6 (19th in the league in the 2010-11 season) under Thibodeau.

Two seasons ago, the Bulls were 28th in the league in scoring with 93.2 points.

Give Thibodeau the weapons, he will give them points.

“The big thing is when you’re putting your plan together with your team, you want to study what the strengths and weaknesses of each guy are, and then how it all fits together,’’ Thibodeau said. “So you want to always play to those strengths and cover up your weaknesses. As your personnel changes, it allows you to do different things.

“And so you get Derrick back, and that gives you a lot of things you can do that you couldn’t do in the past. But when you add Pau into the mix, that gives you more options. Then throw in Niko and Aaron, that gives you a lot more options. Then the other guys have grown. You look at what Taj [Gibson] can do. Joakim [Noah] is still not where he was last year, and that’s a great option, as well. Joakim does a lot of great things offensively for us.’’

http://chicago.suntimes.com/basketba...-bulls-offense

Comment

He is a one-dimensional coach. Yes he has consistently been able to produce a top-flight defense, but his offense is BAD. Like Casey-bad but with better players and better rotations. In the playoffs the Bulls offense pretty much relies on Rose and Butler ISO's while under-utilizing Noah's and Gasol's passing skills as big men in the posts...

I say we hunt for a balanced head coach who values both sides of the ball, who is young, who has no prior NBA head coaching experience, is willing to try new things, value preparation of his players, clearly communicates what he wants from his players, and has a serious commitment to the development of young players.

When you find a coach like that who is willing to work with the Front Office, you start to shape the identity of the team, you know as a player you are going to be working for MU and playing Coach X's style. No exceptions, you know what to expect, and you know what to do to fit with the organization.

Thibs is good for part of that, but his offensive side is so limited that outside of having a top 3 talent in the East that is dedicated to passing and making his teammates better...will never go anywhere.
        I honestly have not watched a lot of the Bulls.

Most of my exposure has come when they play the Raptors and their offense routinely torches with simple pick and rolls along with ball movement.

I think he is fairly balanced myself - with a lean towards the defensive side of course.

In his years in Chicago, his offensive rating has been 11th, 5th, 23rd, 28th, and 11th.

11th twice and 5th isn't too bad. Those 23rd and 28th seasons he had some WEAK players and some inexperienced players picking up the slack for a load of injuries. Most importantly he has shown when you give him players, he will get them to perform.

The defense has been stellar regardless of who has been in and out of the lineup. The defensive rating under his tenure has been: 1st, 2nd, 6th, 2nd, and 11th.

With regards to the bigs passing, Noah and Gasol averaged 7.4 assists per game between them. Noah has averaged 4.7 and 5.4 assists per game the last 2 seasons. With good ball movement, one would tend to see a lot of hockey assists as well that are not counted of course.

Personally I'd be pleased with Thibs. At this point I'd be happy with anyone not named Dwane Casey so that doesn't really mean much now does it?

Comment

DJ Augustin under Casey vs This. Nobody is as bad at killing offensive efficiency as Casey. Few could construct a worse defense either. Special teams is a wash, unless you count the scramble unit then he sucks at that too

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
            Which would mean next year could end up as even more of a mess. Zero continuity, god knows what kind of development. In season coaching hires aren't exactly creme de la creme.
            Ya please just fire him in the offseason and give the new coach a proper introduction to the team

Bendit wrote: View Post
            Not sure how your assessment of Thibs coaching (off.) compares favourably with the following. One thing he is not is allow his allstar/mvp point guard make public pronouncements which he deems incorrect...and then follows up with why he disagrees. Of course he has more talent but he is also an great adjuster to circumstances including injuries and player movement.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/basketba...-bulls-offense
            His offensive teachings are lackluster at best and his sets are often run with little-to no weak side movement. It is very structured vs the free flowing architecture that I would like to see implemented.

I do want to say that I wouldn't be upset with Thibs, but I think we can do better

Comment

Does keeping Casey mean we also keep the entire coaching staff? Please tell me no.

Part of me wants Casey gone and a SMALL piece of me wants to see if he'll change. The playoff embarrassment wouldv'e opened the eyes of any coach - if he stays, lets see how much he changes his gameplan and adjusts. A new offensive coach is needed too asap if he stays.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                On the contrary, it seems like most of the hardcore fans are the ones who want him gone. That's how bad a decision it is to bring him back: so bad that even the most loyal, long-suffering fans are saying "fuck this shit, I'm out, at least until Casey's gone".

Not that any of them will truly be out. The fact that we're still here after the Stankface lovefest, the Fat Rudy experiment, the inbounds disasters, the endgame catastrophes, etc etc shows that Raptors fans can never fully leave. It's like Hotel California up in here.
                Well said. It's just hard to understand that MU doesn't see what we all do.

Comment

OldSchool wrote: View Post
                  Does keeping Casey mean we also keep the entire coaching staff? Please tell me no.

Part of me wants Casey gone and a SMALL piece of me wants to see if he'll change. The playoff embarrassment wouldv'e opened the eyes of any coach - if he stays, lets see how much he changes his gameplan and adjusts. A new offensive coach is needed too asap if he stays.
                  Really?? Count on him to adjust .....he just proved at the most critical time of the season that he cannot.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                    Really?? Count on him to adjust .....he just proved at the most critical time of the season that he cannot.
                    all im saying is a playoff loss like the one we went through is wakeup call one which Casey will have all summer to adjust to. If he stays, it'll be interesting to see how his coaching philosophies change - if it does.

Personally, I doubt he stays.

Comment

• OldSchool wrote: View Post
                      all im saying is a playoff loss like the one we went through is wakeup call one which Casey will have all summer to adjust to. If he stays, it'll be interesting to see how his coaching philosophies change - if it does.

Personally, I doubt he stays.
                      That's not the kind of interesting most of us are looking for.

Comment

• I still believe in Masai....but if he keeps Casey...he'll be quickly entering Colangelo territory...but like I said...I still believe in Masai #FireCasey

Comment

• ^ our fingers are crossed. lol
                          2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

• Like some have mentioned already, i don't think this is all bad...unless we keep the roster pretty much intact. He's growing as a coach and I honestly think he'll do well with the right players. MU hinted that JV's development and usage did not align with his views and I think he'll address that with DC. So i think DC's approach might be a bit different with him this year. If DC stays, I'm expecting some big changes to the roster.

Comment

• If MU keeps Casey, the roster should have no one with more than 3-4 years experience until at least the trade deadline.

I want to watch Casey squirm... I'd tune in for that

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

We could usurp the Bulls and steal their choice to replace Thibs , Fred Houberg.

Comment

Working...
                                X