Woj: Casey will be back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post
    It's kind of like allowing your kids to eat a bowl of candy as long as they eat their vegetables. Then they stopped eating their vegetables, and somebody stole their candy. Everybody's pissed.
    It's a good analogy if you added that these were not your kids, but kids you were babysitting for a friend. Maybe it's your nephews and nieces. You might spoil someone else's kids, but at the end of the day, it's someone else's kid. When we get OUR kids, that is when it will actually matter how we are teaching our kids.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

• I think it's so stupid when people say we shouldn't hire a new coach until we have a championship contending roster. How is having an excellent roster a prerequisite to hiring a new coach? The coach is the biggest problem with this team, and the most easily fixed. The roster should be fixed after a new coach is found, and that coach should have input into how the roster is constructed. That's why getting a new coach before the draft and free agency is so important.

Also of note for those who didn't listen to the audio. Woj admitted he has no idea if case stays or not. No sources. He just gave his guess since they want him to.

I think if casey was being retained we would have announced it by now. If he is gone, we'll probably announce that after the playoffs when we can start interviewing NBA candidates. OKC one fired Brooks early because they wanted a college coach and they were free to interview him already.

Comment

• I find it pretty interesting that the few people who have stated that they're fine with Casey staying have yet to actually list any active positive to be gained by sticking with the man. It pretty much boils down to "wait him out" or "give him guys that could run his system."

The former isn't actually a positive but more "sure he's bad, but who cares, we're not winning a championship anyways" and the latter ignores that the man possessed a better roster than last year and made absolutely zero attempts at adjustments once his system was found out and adjusted to (something the man himself has admitted to). The system is flawed and very easy to be taken advantage of. And this is of course, ignoring that there wasn't an offensive system.

Not to mention that it's very backwards. You find the good coach first and adjust to fit their needs rather than build around a bad coach, hope the team overachieves with the bad coach and then find a better one.

At this point, even replacing him with just one of the current assistants is a better idea than just keeping him because "why not."

Seriously, there is no better reason to move on from Casey than his own exit interview.
        Last edited by Just Is; Wed May 6, 2015, 11:23 AM.
        "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
        "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
          I think it's so stupid when people say we shouldn't hire a new coach until we have a championship contending roster. How is having an excellent roster a prerequisite to hiring a new coach? The coach is the biggest problem with this team, and the most easily fixed. The roster should be fixed after a new coach is found, and that coach should have input into how the roster is constructed. That's why getting a new coach before the draft and free agency is so important.

Also of note for those who didn't listen to the audio. Woj admitted he has no idea if case stays or not. No sources. He just gave his guess since they want him to.

I think if casey was being retained we would have announced it by now. If he is gone, we'll probably announce that after the playoffs when we can start interviewing NBA candidates. OKC one fired Brooks early because they wanted a college coach and they were free to interview him already.
          Just Is wrote: View Post
          I find it pretty interesting that the few people who have stated that they're fine with Casey staying have yet to actually list any active positive to be gained by sticking with the man. It pretty much boils down to "wait him out" or "give him guys that could run his system."

The former isn't actually a positive but more "sure he's bad, but who cares, we're not winning a championship anyways" and the latter ignores that the man possessed a better roster than last year and made absolutely zero attempts at adjustments once his system was found out and adjusted to (something the man himself has admitted to). The system is flawed and very easy to be taken advantage of. And this is of course, ignoring that there wasn't an offensive system.

Not to mention that it's very backwards. You find the good coach first and adjust to fit their needs rather than build around a bad coach, hope the team overachieves with the bad coach and then find a better one.

At this point, even replacing him with just one of the current assistants is a better idea than just keeping him because "why not."

Seriously, there is no better reason to move on from Casey than his own exit interview.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• your entire premise rests on the assumption that the coach was the reason for the teams implosion.

meditate

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
              your entire premise rests on the assumption that the coach was the reason for the teams implosion.

meditate
              Not even remotely true. The entire premise rests on the belief that Casey isn't the right coach for this team. Plenty of blame to go around - Lowry, DD, Lou, GV, Masai, JV

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• so get rid of um all then I guess right?

Tank. Rebuild completely with JV, and nothing else.

THAT sounds like Raptor basketball to me!

Comment

so get rid of um all then I guess right?

No. Get rid of some, put others in position to succeed and keep working towards the ultimate goal.

Did you have a nice vacation?

Comment

...I know you're being facetious and everything... but yea...

Comment

• Hey look, a discussion:

Just Is wrote: View Post
                      I find it pretty interesting that the few people who have stated that they're fine with Casey staying have yet to actually list any active positive to be gained by sticking with the man. It pretty much boils down to "wait him out" or "give him guys that could run his system."

Hey look, a troll:

Superjudge wrote: View Post

"We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                        I think it's so stupid when people say we shouldn't hire a new coach until we have a championship contending roster. How is having an excellent roster a prerequisite to hiring a new coach? The coach is the biggest problem with this team, and the most easily fixed. The roster should be fixed after a new coach is found, and that coach should have input into how the roster is constructed. That's why getting a new coach before the draft and free agency is so important.

That would leave a pretty short window to hire a new coach prior to the draft. The only scenario I see DC going now is DC waiting to see if Thibs gets canned and making a play for Thibs.

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post

Hasn't there been enough back and fourth on this topic over the last 6 months? I think we just need to sit back and see what MU does with Casey as well as the roster this summer. I'm hoping MU is looking to make some big moves to bring in some significant talent to the team for next season. Anything less would just be another lateral move.

Comment

• Exactly Mediumcore. Exactly.

Rather than continue on in this debate of what is the correct way of arguing for/against firing Casey at this juncture, those of you who think firing Casey is the answer to our problems, please humor me for a moment. Let's say they send Dwane Casey on his way and hire a new guy.

What's to say this next guy is the right coach for this team?

What's your scenario where at the end of next season, you could deem it a success or failure, and what sort of expectations will you have of this coming season, with the current roster and a changing climate in the Eastern Conference and Atlantic Division? Does it come down to a team defensive rating number? Or a successful playoff series? Or even making the playoffs, which I don't think is a guaranteed next season?

What would it take to guarantee that this time next season you guys can put your pitchforks away? That's what I'd like to know.

I realize this is hard to answer without knowing what kind of moves that Masai is planning. What if Masai decides to tank, for example. But if you're willing to say that without a question, regardless of changes to the team that we are better off without Dwane Casey, then you should be able to give a fairly definitive answer to what sort of expectations you would have of a new coach that replaces Casey, and what you would consider a success and failure.

Because between you and me, I think we will be having the exact same discussion a year from now about the new guy unless something is done to the roster.
                            your pal,
                            ebrian

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                              That would leave a pretty short window to hire a new coach prior to the draft. The only scenario I see DC going now is DC waiting to see if Thibs gets canned and making a play for Thibs.
                              If Obradovic is the target, we have to wait. He's coaching in the euroleague final 4 and it doesn't start until May 15th.

Also, hiring before the draft isn't as big a deal as before free agency. Our pick will most likely be a 3rd stringer for the first year so shouldn't matter too too much to the incoming coach.

If Masai wants to keep Casey, what is the reason he hasn't said so yet? There isn't a good reason, which means he's definitely looking at other options.

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
                                Exactly Mediumcore. Exactly.

Rather than continue on in this debate of what is the correct way of arguing for/against firing Casey at this juncture, those of you who think firing Casey is the answer to our problems, please humor me for a moment. Let's say they send Dwane Casey on his way and hire a new guy.

What's to say this next guy is the right coach for this team?

What's your scenario where at the end of next season, you could deem it a success or failure, and what sort of expectations will you have of this coming season, with the current roster and a changing climate in the Eastern Conference and Atlantic Division? Does it come down to a team defensive rating number? Or a successful playoff series? Or even making the playoffs, which I don't think is a guaranteed next season?

What would it take to guarantee that this time next season you guys can put your pitchforks away? That's what I'd like to know.

I realize this is hard to answer without knowing what kind of moves that Masai is planning. What if Masai decides to tank, for example. But if you're willing to say that without a question, regardless of changes to the team that we are better off without Dwane Casey, then you should be able to give a fairly definitive answer to what sort of expectations you would have of a new coach that replaces Casey, and what you would consider a success and failure.

Because between you and me, I think we will be having the exact same discussion a year from now about the new guy unless something is done to the roster.
                                My idea of success for a new coach, regardless of roster construction, would be a competent offensive and defensive system. You can see this even with poor players, Boston in Stevens first year is a perfect example. That team barely won, but you could tell if the roster got better that the team would be good.

I want to see good coaching. Plain and simple. Wins and losses don't matter as they're roster dependent. If we go all young guys, and they're swinging the ball around on offense until we get a good look, then I'll be happy, regardless if the shot goes in or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X