No announcement yet.

Batum: Does he still fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess when it comes down tint, I'm all for changing nickels and dimes into a quarter.

I view a first round pick as a quarter though which is why I wouldn't include in any Batum deal given uncertainty that surrounds his health and pending free agent status.

Comment

Masai been after Batum going all the way back to Denver. This might be his best chance to get him on the cheap side.

- I expect the Toronto Raptors to make a hard push for a power forward who can score more easily than the*Amir Johnson/Patrick Pattersoncombo, but it would surprise me if Masai Ujiri can pull something off. But also keep this in mind about Ujiri: He has been trying to get his hands on Nicolas Batum for ages, and he will give up just about anything to land the French forward.

- Chris Sheridan

http://www.raptorshq.com/2015/2/18/8...-nicolas-batum

This is from back around the trade deadline
      Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Tue May 5, 2015, 04:04 PM.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Unfortunately, unless Masai has a bead on a free agent who is willing to sign here, these are the types of gambles we have to take a serious look at. Batum at full value isn't going to be traded or is going to cost too much.

A one-year gamble is the best kind. If we're not rebuilding, and we're not getting a good free agent, I take a chance on Batum.

We NEED more talent if we're going to be a player in 2016, if that is the target. If it comes down to rolling with the same core and Casey (which would mean zero playing time for a new draft pick), or the core plus Batum less a draft pick, I have to take the latter.

And this is the perfect illustration of how BC got into trouble. It is so freaking hard to build from the middle, especially when you're in Toronto, Canada.

Comment

I really don't think it will take that much. Oshley has his hands full this summer. 3 players(LA, Matthews and Lopez) out of his starting 5 are free agents. Also Aaron Affaolo looks like is about to opt of his final year. He turns 30 soon and his looking for his last contract and long term security. Also Damian Lilliard is up for extension starting july 1st. Word on the street is his looking for $120 mill.

I could easily see Oshley shipping out Batum for cap space. Especially now with the emergency of McCollum and Leonard in the playoffs. Still have Dorell Wright on the roster as well.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

So if Ujiri goes all-in on Batum, what happens to Bruno?

Seriously, Raptors need to make some kind of commitment to playing him and developing or we might as well trade him.... and talking about signing a very good SF now is pretty much mailing it in on the young guy

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
              False

Batum said the first change will be how he manages his time in the offseason. He said his late decision to join the French National team last summer ended up over-extending him.

"Last year, I didn't manage my offseason well,'' Batum said. "I didn't plan to go with the national team last summer, and when I did, I had already made plans to make appearances and camps. I didn't rest.''

This summer, he said he will play for the French National Team, but he will rest before he reports in August.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/in...ll_change.html
              Whenever responses are started like that, I say it in my head like Dwight:

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                False

Batum said the first change will be how he manages his time in the offseason. He said his late decision to join the French National team last summer ended up over-extending him.

"Last year, I didn't manage my offseason well,'' Batum said. "I didn't plan to go with the national team last summer, and when I did, I had already made plans to make appearances and camps. I didn't rest.''

This summer, he said he will play for the French National Team, but he will rest before he reports in August.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/in...ll_change.html
                Liar!

And then I came across a poster on your link who wrote this:

"French soldiers have one gear....reverse. The white in the French flag stands for....surrender.

When Nic is good...well...he's great.

When Nic is bad...well...he's a French soldier."

Who knew! This guy must be a european history major.

Comment

Batum would be a great pick up if we are sticking with this core.
                  He can defend the 3 position, he should be able to recover his shot, he plays a smart game and moves the ball/ makes the right play(biggest need in our lineup imo)
                  He can also be bought low, yet has incentive to produce because of a contract year.
                  I'd be fine with giving Ross and swaping picks or other spare parts(gv, s&t Amir)if they're confident he would resign because there won't be minutes for a rookie, Bruno and Bebe still fill that role, and having to pay Ross won't be worth it with demar here.
                  He would be a good mentor for Bruno as well

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

Seriously, Raptors need to make some kind of commitment to playing him and developing or we might as well trade him.... and talking about signing a very good SF now is pretty much mailing it in on the young guy
                    I wouldn't worry about this so much especially with Raptors getting a DLeague team.

I have posted in the past asking if Bruno is going to be a 3 or a 4. I am still not sure. He is also showing to be able to add good size.

Also, Batum has the ability to play SG in my opinion - especially in an offensive focusing on ball movement and dribble drive and dish.

If you can get Batum for spare parts, I'd roll the dice. You still have Lowry and DeRozan as trade bail as well.

Comment

I dunno if Batum falls into this, but...

If you can acquire good players, you do it, and you keep them.

We can commit to developing him and acquire a player at his position, they're not mutually exclusive. Putting all our SF eggs into one basket doesn't seem smart, even if Bruno looks promising, he's still more likely to bust than boom.

Comment

Mindlessness wrote: View Post
                        I dunno if Batum falls into this, but...

If you can acquire good players, you do it, and you keep them.

We can commit to developing him and acquire a player at his position, they're not mutually exclusive. Putting all our SF eggs into one basket doesn't seem smart, even if Bruno looks promising, he's still more likely to bust than boom.
                        For example in 2 years Bruno is ready to start, ye Batum is at the peak of his career, and they are both producing the same.

What do you do?

Comment

For example in 2 years Bruno is ready to start, ye Batum is at the peak of his career, and they are both producing the same.

What do you do?
                          Move Batum to SG

Or trade batum

Comment

What do you do?
                            Next year, Bruno will be 1 year away from being 2 years away. So in two years, he'll still be one year away. So it won't matter.
                            "Stop eating your sushi."
                            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

What do you do?
                              You trade one of them? I really don't see how that is a bad problem to have.

Comment

What do you do?

If they're producing the same in two years, trade Batum. Bruno will only be 21 years old.
                                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Working...
                                X