Rank your coaching destination - completely subjective exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rank your coaching destination - completely subjective exercise

Everyone has different priorities when looking at a job opening, but is there a consensus for which jobs are better than others?

Based on the current state of affairs, how would you rank the potential coaching opportunities if you were a head coach candidate?

So looking at the non-playoff teams in the NBA (minus OKC since they hired Donovan and including Toronto cause duh), how would you rank each one?

Use whatever subjective criteria that you would consider as most important (money, city, contender, etc), but rank the following teams:

Toronto
    Orlando
    Brooklyn
    Philly
    New York
    Indiana
    Detroit
    Charlotte
    Minnesota
    Denver
    Utah
    Lakers
    Kings
    Suns

Please provide an explanation for at least your top 3.

~~~ My list ~~~
    Minnesota – Wiggins, LaVine, Dieng – that’s a solid group of youngsters to build around. Will have to build from within cause no UFAs are walking through the door.
    Orlando – lots of good young prospects – could become an insane tough defence. Sunny weather and no income tax doesn’t hurt either.
    Toronto – a solid compete now roster, but ceiling is a concern with current roster. Lowry dynamic would concern me.
    Suns – similar to Toronto in a lot of ways, but playing the West makes it much tougher.
    Utah – as far as locations go, not very desirable, but the roster has good young players like Gobert, Exum, Burke and Haywood. Future could be very bright in tough West.
    Lakers – a hard one to gauge since you never know who is going to be on their roster, but they will do whatever it takes to win. Legacy counts for something.
    Indiana – Paul George but the rest of the roster is likely at a cross-roads. Looks less stable than it did 2 years ago
    Detroit – you can see some nice pieces here but lack of star (and being in Detroit) isn’t much of a sell. Working under SVG would be entertaining but Ron Jeremy jokes would run rampant.
    Charlotte – small town quiet in the NBA landscape – seems perpetually not good enough.
    Philly – low expectations and lots of talented young prospects are enticing, but the turnstile roster approach would be very frustrating.
    New York – the big apple has certain appeal as a city, but Melo and whatever dregs Jackson can acquire isn’t enough to pair with a top pick when the future picks are all traded.
    Kings – more talent than the teams below (and some above) them, but a bat shit crazy owner goes through coaches too fast for comfort.
    Denver – not much talent, best hope is Knicks pick swap.
    Brooklyn – you will win more games this season, but it is going to be a long road before this team can ever actually contend.
    Last edited by Axel; Tue May 5, 2015, 12:45 PM. Reason: Bold is beautiful
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Fun thread idea!

The one thing that is impossible to predict is the amount of influence we'd have over the GM and the vision for the roster.

Toronto and Minnesota are the first destinations that come to mind, for largely the reasons you mentioned - roster, GM, franchise stability, fan support, etc...

New York, LA and Philadelphia (Brooklyn should be on this list, but the owner and roster/cap situation bumps them out of consideration for the time being) would be absolutely amazing cities to be coaching in, when your team is winning... you'd be elevated to near god-like status. Of course, should you be a perpetual cellar-dweller, the fans/media would be torturous! I still think the lure of the big markets - city, fan base, budget, reward for winning - would bump them all into a discussion for top 3/5 destinations.

The others are all bastard stepchildren in the NBA, even more than Toronto, I think:
    - Detroit
    - Denver
    - Sacramento
    - Charlotte
    - Indiana
    - Utah
    - Phoenix
    - Orlando

Comment

I'll play:

1. Lakers: It's the freaking Lakers and you get to live in LA.
      2. Suns: I already have a house there.
      3. Orlando: The city is a dump but the weather is nice and they have good ownership/management.
      4. New York: You get to live in Manhattan and coach the Knicks. If you win, you're a hero for the ages.
      5. Indy: Great basketball town and Indianapolis is surprisingly nice.
      6. Minny: Wiggins. Plus, Minneapolis restaurants have these breaded Walleye sandwiches I can't find anywhere else.
      7. Brooklyn: Coach killing job. Poor ownership. May get killed by Russian mafia. But you get to live in Manhattan.

The Rest:

Toronto: Downtown always smells like urine. Dysfunctional ownership group bound to collapse.
      Philly: Management has no clue what it is doing - more magic beans! You probably have to live there.
      Detroit: In Detroit, car drives you!
      Charlotte: Does Jordan still own them? No thanks.
      Denver: Cheap owner. Weird city.
      Utah: Irrelevant franchise.
      Kings: Crazy owner. Sacramento is surprisingly shitty for being in California.

Comment

Sweet thread, here's mine

Lakers: could draw the best free agents, great crowd atmosphere, rich ownership not afraid to pay top dollar if you perform well, amazing weather, can get a start on my acting career on the side (as a plus, I'm 3 hours behind the rest of the world, whiz is a really awesome experience)

(As far as I know Miami didn't make the playoffs but they're not included here. I don't know why, but they'd be my second)

Orlando: potentially could have a great future, warm weather and beaches (whole division), and I like their court/uniforms

Pheonix: smart org., young team, nice weather, PST time zone, good pieces to work with and cool court/unis

Charlotte: nice pieces, good bball city, relatively small, nice place to raise a family, nice weather

Sacramento: potential great pieces and nice weather, but batshit owner, incompetent mgmt, and coaching boogie might be tough

Toronto: great mgmt, cheap-ish owners (at least so far), cold, hard to recruit players, current group is soft as hell and I don't know if I want any part of it (but I'm a raptors "fan"(for now) so I ranked them higher than I should)

NY/Brooklyn: great cities, crazy owners, shit weather, unreal expectations, shit mgmt

Minny, Denver, Indy, Detroit, Philly, Utah in that order depending on $$$
        A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

My teams would be

Toronto- hometown team, smart GM, all star back court and enough pieces to work with.
          Minny- team of the future, Wiggins, Lavine, Shabazz, Dieng, Rubio...deadly potential
          Miami- stud starting V, the godfather (riley) as pres, miami beach and great weather
          NY- work for the zen master Phil Jackson in the city that never sleep
          Brooklyn- its brooklyn, work/live in NYC..big markets where success makes you a historical legend.
          LA- part of greatness as an organization and working in hollywood
          Boston- part of greatness as an organization with a brillant GM.
          Cleveland- would wouldn't want to coach the greatest player on the planet and face of a generation
          Chicago- big city, championship ready team in the house that Jordan built.

Comment

The right answer, from a pure maximized-benefit standpoint, is one of Orlando or Minnesota. Lots of young players so the expectations aren't high, and that means you get the biggest benefit, which is time. Two or three seasons in a small market developing your team is better for your resume and your wallet than half a season in New York.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              The one thing that is impossible to predict is the amount of influence we'd have over the GM and the vision for the roster.
              My thought was that teams with strong front offices (Bird in Indiana) or coach/gm combos (SVG in Detroit) would still run the front office; but as the original intent was to leave things as open as possible, other people might make different assumptions.

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
              (As far as I know Miami didn't make the playoffs but they're not included here. I don't know why, but they'd be my second)
              Complete oversight on my part.

slaw wrote: View Post
              2. Suns: I already have a house there.
              Nice. I've always been drawn to the idea of living in Arizona. Perfect weather it seems.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Seems like I am the only one so far with any interest in Utah (top 5), so I wanted to elaborate since it is an unusual choice.

In terms of young talent, you'd be hard pressed to find a better roster than Trey Burke, Dante Exum, Gordon Haywood, Favors, Gobert as a potential starting 5. Very young roster but with Haywood as the leader, you have a good coachable "vet" to lean on. Very good 2 way potential on the roster.

Utah had a long run of success with Sloan running the ship. That level of continuity is a plus in my books.

Stockton & Malone as "legacy" players to bring in to talk to the young kids. Having Hall of Famers on speed-dial is a nice bonus.

Married with kids, Utah seems like a good place to live. Bigger cities don't interest me as much as a quiet space to call my own.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                  Seems like I am the only one so far with any interest in Utah (top 5), so I wanted to elaborate since it is an unusual choice.
                  Utah has a stable front office and it's a perfectly decent place to live. Boring, maybe, but reliably boring in a good way.

But: Utah is really the sort of situation you want to avoid, as a coach. A bunch of young players who have shown a lot of promise under a different coach (Snyder - who's sticking around anyway, so the point is moot, but we're talking hypotheticals), but are still largely unproven, and a franchise who believes - not unreasonably - that the rebuild is basically over and it's time to start working their way into the playoff picture.

High expectations and a lot of unproven talent to meet those expectations. Very risky.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                    Utah has a stable front office and it's a perfectly decent place to live. Boring, maybe, but reliably boring in a good way.

But: Utah is really the sort of situation you want to avoid, as a coach. A bunch of young players who have shown a lot of promise under a different coach (Snyder - who's sticking around anyway, so the point is moot, but we're talking hypotheticals), but are still largely unproven, and a franchise who believes - not unreasonably - that the rebuild is basically over and it's time to start working their way into the playoff picture.

High expectations and a lot of unproven talent to meet those expectations. Very risky.
                    But compared to say Los Angeles, high expectations and no idea of what the roster will be; I'd go for the safer bet.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                      But compared to say Los Angeles, high expectations and no idea of what the roster will be; I'd go for the safer bet.
                      Utah would be a great situation to come into, in terms of young pieces and good potential. But I don't honk you could pay me to live in Utah, not because it's boring but because it's a shorty combination of boring and cold
                      A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                        Utah would be a great situation to come into, in terms of young pieces and good potential. But I don't honk you could pay me to live in Utah, not because it's boring but because it's a shorty combination of boring and cold
                        Life is never boring with a toddler

Plus you'd be on the road a lot anyways, so it's really the family's preference. They like to ski

Comment

Here's my top 5:

1. Orlando

Young roster with tons of potential, plus they play in the East, so easier to make the playoffs.

2. Minnesota

So many exciting young pieces. Wiggins, LaVine, whoever they draft this year, it will be exciting in Minny in a couple years. Only reason they aren't number 1 is the West.

3. Toronto

Biased, but I we have some nice young pieces, and I think we have the possibility of contending for at least the conference finals. Also, most of my family lives in Ontario or in Michigan, right next to it.

4. Utah

Very exciting young players. I think they will be a lot better next year. Not too much pressure either.

5. Lakers

Living in LA
                          The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
                            5. Lakers

Living in LA
                            Can you imagine actually trying to coach Kobe and Swaggy P? lol

death stare at every practice.

Comment

Job security is pretty important for an NBA coach. So need to step in a situation where the management is stable, and there is growth in the team.. so even if the season was unsuccessful from a win/loss perspective the job is safe.

So here is my top 5:

1. Toronto - homer answer.. but also because of the Leafs. Raptors can really do whatever they want and most casual fans don't care.. heck Casey's been on the job for 4 years already. Triano had a job for 2 years. If they lose its not a big deal.. I think the casual fan can get behind a tank/rebuild. MLSE has deep pockets. They have Drake to help with recruitment.. and a savvy/young GM that has the ability to think outside the box.

2. Philly - doesn't seem like anyone really cares about what Philly is doing.. but it would be nice to work with such a young team. No expectations means keeping a job for longer.

3. Indiana - just a stable franchise. Bird has brought so much stability and who wouldn't want to work with Larry Legend every day? George is also a top 5 talent.. and is still young.

4. Minnesota - would love to work with Wiggins.. but there are expectations. Minny hasn't made the playoffs for a long time, and they're still years away in a tough conference. That's why they're not my number 1 choice.

5. Orlando - some nice pieces to work with. Warm climate. Making playoffs shouldn't be too difficult. No top tier talent though and even if they get someone they'll most likely leave the first chance they get (see: Shaq, T-Mac, Howard). Hate how they handled the SVG situation as well.

HM: Utah - polygamists an bible thumpers freak me out. If it was in a different location I'd probably push them to #2 or #3.. but Utah really freaks me out.

Comment

Working...
                              X