Bill Simmons and ESPN to Part Ways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Simmons and ESPN to Part Ways

Bill Simmons, who built a personal empire at ESPN and is one of America’s most influential sports personalities, will leave the media giant when his contract expires in the fall. The announcement came with startling abruptness Friday morning after months of negotiations failed to produce a contract extension for Simmons. He has more than four months left on his current contract

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/09/sp...ways.html?_r=0

He'll be available when training camp starts.

Comment

I think the question on every nba junkies mind is: how does this effect grantland?
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
        I think the question on every nba junkies mind is: how does this effect grantland?
        I was wondering why he started a new podcast Bill Don't Lie and talks basketball ? I guess setting the ground work for next stage in his life

Comment

They'll still have Zach at least, so that's something...

Comment

Not too big of a surprise - his whole approach is to be an unapologetic fan of sports, with all the opinions a guy has from the fan perspective. That's caused him to clash with ESPN at times - ESPN/ABC have way too much conflict of interest when they become broadcast partners with sports league (to the tune of billions of dollars).

I'm glad Simmons has stuck to his original m.o. rather than becoming another company man. Somebody needs to speak up when shit gets shady e.g. with the NFL and concussions. The guy has more than enough of a profile now to make it on his own as a sports media content generator.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Wow that's huge. That guy is really freaking rich. He must have asked for a lot of money. He was also probably pretty fed up with Disney. They're notoriously conservative and the rumor is that they clashed a lot.
              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Fox and TNT are probably about to start a bidding war for him.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                  Fox and TNT are probably about to start a bidding war for him.
                  Screw traditional media platforms, I hope he keeps using websites, podcasts, and YouTube to create the content he actually wants to create.

Biggest downside I can see is losing his seat at national broadcasts of the finals and draft night.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                    Screw traditional media platforms, I hope he keeps using websites, podcasts, and YouTube to create the content he actually wants to create.

Biggest downside I can see is losing his seat at national broadcasts of the finals and draft night.
                    I'm thinking Fox or TNT would allow him to do whatever he wants just to get him on board and increase their relevancy.

Comment

Bandit wrote: View Post
                      They'll still have Zach at least, so that's something...
                      Oh forsure I'm not even worried about Simmons columns, I'm just wondering, doesn't he joint own Grantland or something?
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Vice would be crazy.
                        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Oh forsure I'm not even worried about Simmons columns, I'm just wondering, doesn't he joint own Grantland or something?
                          In the article I read it said ESPN retains control of grantland and aren't worried since they have so many other writers.

Comment

Seriously, I think Roger Goodell orchestrated this. Money talks, BS walks.

HNIC should replace Don Cherry with BS, asap.

Comment

I'm happy for him. I hope he stays independent and doesn't sign to TNT or Fox. He has some great opinions, and sometimes they're a bit controversial and I want him to be able to state them regardless

Comment

Working...
                              X