WTF Happened? (Raptors offense)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF Happened? (Raptors offense)

I was looking around at something else when I stumbled upon this article from last year on Grantland a few weeks after Rudy Gay trade.

Toronto has scored 105.8 points per 100 possessions since dealing Gay, nearly five points better than it managed with a Rudy-centric offense.2 Toronto is flinging the ball from side to side, one pick-and-roll bleeding into the next on the opposite wing, bending opposing defenses until an opening emerges. The Raptors are passing the ball 30 more times per game since the trade, per SportVU data provided to Grantland, and shooting about three more 3-pointers — an intended benefit of replacing Gay in the starting lineup with Terrence Ross. “The ball is just constantly moving,” DeRozan says. “We don’t care who scores, or who shoots the ball. Masai [Ujiri, the team’s GM] made the best decision for us to win. You hate to see a close friend go, but he made a good decision. It’s paying off now.”

Dwane Casey, the Raps head coach, chuckles at the idea that Toronto has dramatically changed its offense since the Gay trade. “All the same sets,” he says, smiling, though the equation has tilted a bit more toward the pick-and-roll.3 That has been a boon for Lowry, enjoying his best sustained stretch since his peak in Houston, and for all of Toronto’s big men — especially Amir Johnson and Jonas Valanciunas. Johnson has long been a dynamic pick-and-roll finisher, and though Valanciunas is still in the early stages of learning to time his cuts to the rim, he’s gotten better at ducking for little post-ups below Lowry/Johnson pick-and-rolls:

“The ball is moving,” Casey tells Grantland. “Guys are playing together. Everyone is buying in. No disrespect to Rudy, but he’s a different type of player.”

Like what happened? Seriously?

Did Casey have a lobotomy?
    Was he hypnotized by opposing coaches?
    Has he been led astray by front office?

Casey meant to disrespect to Rudy but he then proceeded to change DeRozan, Ross, Lowry, Vasquez, and Williams in to Rudy clones.

I don't know if the change in offensive approach or the decline in defense is the most frustrating part of the last year.

For all this talk of continuity and building a program, how the hell can you use that as an excuse for keeping Casey when he says:

“Even thought you’re winning, to me, my one area, what I didn’t do a good job of, was establishing an offensive style,” Casey admitted. “Now, that sounds crazy, (because) we were in the top 10 in offensive efficiency. But establishing a style of play offensively that will help our defence. That is, as a staff, something we’ll go to the drawing board and make sure we establish tempo, a pace, a shot selection that helps our defence.

“I thought a lot of our defensive woes were connected directly to our shot selection. Our quick shots. Make or miss, you’ve got to establish a style of play that will help get you back on defence, get your jerseys back where you’re 5-on-5 more so than in transition or coming back frustrated because you didn’t touch the ball. There’s a lot of things that go into that.”

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2015/...sy-in-a-hurry/
    So 4 years in and we need to go back to the drawing board?

Ugh.

As I said, initially, WTF happened?

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    I was looking around at something else when I stumbled upon this article from last year on Grantland a few weeks after Rudy Gay trade.

Casey meant to disrespect to Rudy but he then proceeded to change DeRozan, Ross, Lowry, Vasquez, and Williams in to Rudy clones.

I don't know if the change in offensive approach or the decline in defense is the most frustrating part of the last year.

For all this talk of continuity and building a program, how the hell can you use that as an excuse for keeping Casey when he says:

Ugh.

The players were playing without a "system" being instituted.

Stuff like this is further proof that the actual issue most likely WASN'T Rudy but Casey.
    "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
    "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

we need to resign rudy gay.. oh wait. i meant demar. oh wait. i meant wiggins. oh wait. let's go for steve nash....

Comment

Good thing we kept Casey for continuity sake.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

Ugh.

post trade, guys didn't know the 'system', they were just playing basketball. believe it or not, these guys actually do know how the game should be played. Now, with a full training camp and season with Casey and this roster, we see CASEYBALL. POUND THE ROCK.

Comment

I remember Casey saying that he wanted to minimize turnovers, which might have caused a decrease in ball movement. Also, during the time after the Rudy Gay trade the team didn't have an established "guy" that they could really go to. Once DD and Lowry started getting attention for All Star type play, things began to change.

On top of this the team acquired Lou Williams. Then the guards starting thinking "If Lou can do, I can too!!!"

*clank*
            OG is our king

Comment

That was a good....correction, depressing find...which has been obviously brought up in the thousand post mortem posts so far. Since we are going to play the eeny, meany, miney game again, I would go for a combination of a couple of our aces feeling a little put out (after the initial exhilaration of the team/passing game) to go solo/iso because their stats weren't looking so good ....and we-have-to-ask Weltman again about his seeming agreement that (and I paraphrase) that the iso game has proven to be more successful in the playoffs.

I would by inference not absolve Masai here who would obviously be in the loop/agreement with Weltman but claim plausible deniability that this was a group (top to bottom meeting of minds). Of course we shall never know the real reason until at least a departed and disgruntled player/employee reveals the mystery. In the meantime #FireCasey.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                That was a good....correction, depressing find...which has been obviously brought up in the thousand post mortem posts so far. Since we are going to play the eeny, meany, miney game again, I would go for a combination of a couple of our aces feeling a little put out (after the initial exhilaration of the team/passing game) to go solo/iso because their stats weren't looking so good ....and we-have-to-ask Weltman again about his seeming agreement that (and I paraphrase) that the iso game has proven to be more successful in the playoffs.

I would by inference not absolve Masai here who would obviously be in the loop/agreement with Weltman but claim plausible deniability that this was a group (top to bottom meeting of minds). Of course we shall never know the real reason until at least a departed and disgruntled player/employee reveals the mystery. In the meantime #FireCasey.
                Weltman had previous stints with the Bucks & Nuggets and learned his craft for the longest time in the sad sack era Clippers organization. Not exactly a stellar resume, in terms of being influenced by the culture of winning organizations.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                  Weltman had previous stints with the Bucks & Nuggets and learned his craft for the longest time in the sad sack era Clippers organization. Not exactly a stellar resume, in terms of being influenced by the culture of winning organizations.
                  Hammond was stained with that same brush in Milwaukee.

New ownership and suddenly the franchise has a different outlook allowing him to do different things.

I think the importance of ownership is illustrated with what is happening in Milwaukee.

Comment

Lou williams came in, made shots, won us some games, then the whole team wanted to be Lou because it looked like the way to go.
                    Not blaming him specifically that's the way he always played, problem is the whole team started emulating him & Forgot who they were the year before.
                    Plus being in a Division with 2 openly tanking teams, & 2 overpriced teams who actually had a worst record then the tankers, falsely inflated their egos.

Comment

Dino4life wrote: View Post
                      Lou williams came in, made shots, won us some games, then the whole team wanted to be Lou because it looked like the way to go.
                      Not blaming him specifically that's the way he always played, problem is the whole team started emulating him & Forgot who they were the year before.
                      Plus being in a Division with 2 openly tanking teams, & 2 overpriced teams who actually had a worst record then the tankers, falsely inflated their egos.
                      I agree.

I think Lou had an especially terrible effect on Vasquez.
                      "Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Scouting happened.

You can beat bad teams even after being scouted, which we did, but good teams make adjustments. Especially when they see you four straight games.

It's like Tyson said, everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face. Yes we had bad habits that were reinforced through differing levels of accountability (hell or high water), but we reverted to those bad habits because got punched in the face and had no counter.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                          I agree.

I think Lou had an especially terrible effect on Vasquez.
                          Vasquez pulled plenty of YOLO shit in 2014 too. People just remember it less because he got hot at the end.

Besides, not sure how we can totally blame Lou when Casey gave him 100% carte blanche to do whatever he wanted. The guy is an expiring and in a contract year, meaning he's not necessarily a part of our future and he's also looking to get his. But instead of reining in his worst habits, we encouraged them.

If you've got alcoholic friends you don't give them an open bar and keys to drive.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                            Scouting happened.

You can beat bad teams even after being scouted, which we did, but good teams make adjustments. Especially when they see you four straight games.

It's like Tyson said, everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face. Yes we had bad habits that were reinforced through differing levels of accountability (hell or high water), but we reverted to those bad habits because got punched in the face and had no counter.
                            that doesn't explain why we switched from good basketball to pure iso jumpshits for this entire season. Remember the "Offense is flawed" thread back in the early season?

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                              Scouting happened.

That explains the defense very well.

I don't think it explains the offense.

Comment

Working...
                              X