Bismack Biyombo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bismack Biyombo

I've been wanting the Raptors to get their hands on Biyombo since the 2011 draft. It's no secret what the raptors need to improve on this summer. Rebounding and rim protection.

Biyombo is mostly known for his shot blocking ability. The thing that get lost most of the time is just how good of a rebounder Bismack is. For instance this season Biyombo collected 13.4 percent of available offensive rebounds. Will use Tristan Thompson as a measuring stick. Since his turned into one of the premier rebounders in the league. Well TT collected 14.4. On the defensive class he collected 22.2 to TT 20.1. Whencomes down to just pure rebound percentage BB edges out TT 17.7 to 17.2. You might ask why we don't hear more about this. That's because BB plays 7 less minutes than TT and he plays for Charlotte.

As shot a blocker BB has unlimited potential. Combine his 7'7" wingspan with being able to jump out the gym. Also his not one of those lumbering shot blockers. BB is extremely agile for his 6'9" 250. The kid averaged 1.5 blks a game in under 20 mins a game.

This kid could make a huge difference on our team defence. He was the main reason why Hornets went on that run in the second half of the season. Great article here explaining how much of a difference BB made on the hornets this pass season.

http://bballbreakdown.com/2015/02/04...ornets-season/

There has been interest in BB in the past from the Raptors. Especially around the 2011 draft. Where BB was actually going to be the raptors pick at 5. If JV didn't fall to 5th.

I think BB is agile enough to play the four next to JV and cover up a lot of his weakness on the defensive side. JV could do the same to him on the offensive side. I think BB would be way cheaper option than the other big name bigs(Monroe, TT and LA for example) in free agency.
    Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Sun May 10, 2015, 04:22 AM.
    @Chr1st1anL

This post sold me on him. How much does he come to Toronto for? And is can he play PF?

Comment

If he came to Toronto I see him as a back-up 5, his minutes would still be low and he would not get any time playing with JV as it just wont work.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Meh. Need a big talent influx. If we strike out on max RFA's, I could live with hunting after a Cory Joseph, KJ McDaniels and Bismack Biyombo combination instead.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

He is severely offensively challenged. Has trouble completing any play either in PnR or in the post. Can't even complete outbacks and garbage buckets

Comment

I'd be very happy to target him as a back up C.

But he isn't more than that.

Comment

we struggle with rebounding and rim protection partly because of personnel but also because of our "coach" and his "system". I don't want to make any moves that are tailored to Dwane Casey.

he's not that good. backup centre at best. we need to think bigger and/or more about the future.

Comment

Biyombo has a net rating of -1.2 and a +/- of -0.5.
                Thompson has a net rating of 4.5 and a +/- of 2.6.
                Patterson has a net rating of 5.3 and a +/- of 3.1.
                Hansbrough has a net rating of 10.5 and a +/- of 2.6.

Biyombo and Thompson are both very good rebounders, and Biyombo is third in the league in blocks per 36 minutes. But you have to look at the total package. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each player, as opposed to what the team needs? (All stats are from NBA.com.) Apart from rebounding and blocks, I am not yet convinced that either player represents a significant upgrade to the present team.

Comment

If we are committing to JV as our starting C of the future, we need a veteran backup C. Valanciunas is already way way way behind schedule with his development (some of it is on the coach - as in Minutes and touches, but some is also is on JV - as in silly mistakes and yapping at officials). Having a veteran backup C to mentor JV could pick up the pace with his development.

Comment

Meh. Don't like one-way players, and Biyombo is as one-way as they come. Really limited offensively, so you're playing 4 on 5 on offense with him. So-so BBIQ, which means he might look worse than JV in a scramble defense. As a 2M/yr backup to replace Hayes? Ok.

Comment

peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
                      Valanciunas is already way way way behind schedule with his development .
                      No he isn't "way way way behind schedule". DC didn't prioritize his development this year. He encouraged and prioritized ISO plays and chucking from the perimeter. I've seen JV come on in leaps and bounds. But our offence hasn't been tailored toward him at all. I'm surprised he didn't get more frustrated this season. Runs the floor hard, rarely gets rewarded for it with touches which you do in basketball when your big is running hard. It's a cliche for a reason - bigs take time. Particularly bigs that can't be successful on athleticism and sheer size alone.

Comment

Isn't he 46 or something?
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

If JV suppose to be as good as y'all say. Why would it matter if we had a defensive minded PF? You don't need two post up players giving you scoring. Especially when you have an explosive scoring backcourt like the Raps do. Lets just name a view one way defensive players making a difference in playoffs Tony Allen, Deandre Jordan and Tristan Thompson.

JV will be an average defender at best can never see him anchoring an elite defense. Need find a player to cover up his holes.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

big boi wrote: View Post
                            No he isn't "way way way behind schedule". DC didn't prioritize his development this year. He encouraged and prioritized ISO plays and chucking from the perimeter. I've seen JV come on in leaps and bounds. But our offence hasn't been tailored toward him at all. I'm surprised he didn't get more frustrated this season. Runs the floor hard, rarely gets rewarded for it with touches which you do in basketball when your big is running hard. It's a cliche for a reason - bigs take time. Particularly bigs that can't be successful on athleticism and sheer size alone.
                            oh right, it's not his fault for anything, it's not his fault whenever he gets the rebound he brings the ball down and most of the time gets stripped instead of getting the rebound and ramming it back down.

Just like it's not his fault he reacts to every single call against him (and most of the time, it's the RIGHT call) - in fact, he's the only player I have seen recently foul out in the 3rd quarter.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              If JV suppose to be as good as y'all say. Why would it matter if we had a defensive minded PF? You don't need two post up players giving you scoring. Especially when you have an explosive scoring backcourt like the Raps do. Lets just name a view one way defensive players making a difference in playoffs Tony Allen, Deandre Jordan and Tristan Thompson.

JV will be an average defender at best can never see him anchoring an elite defense. Need find a player to cover up his holes.
                              Wouldn't really call Jordan or Allen one way players this season.

Even Thompson.

Jordan and Thompson are dangerous with putbacks, and there's always the lob factor with Jordan.

Allen has a career high in 3 point percentage this year...

Comment

Working...
                              X