The Raptors are NOT young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

saints91 wrote: View Post
    Listen I've been a fan since 2003 and a die hard fan. I was a Knicks fan prior to Isiah ruining my team, but I've always kept a close eye on the Raptors. Honestly our history is pathetic, and it's because of the constant rebuilds. It's time to stick with something instead of trying to create a new identity and getting younger.

We can all throw out insults as to who is a true fan, but that's just a childish and a waste of time. I want to see my team play in the playoffs. I have faith that big changes are afoot this offseason. I personally think this team is on the right track. All of you were on a high last year, and it's just hilarious to see the doom and gloom around here. This team ran into injuries, and lost track of the successful things they were doing the year before. I have faith in this management group that they will make the right adjustments.
    This is my opinion right here. I find it hilarious myself to see the hell on Earth the forum's views have taken after last offseason where we were on a high screaming and shouting about the flexibility we have.

The only difference I have with you is that if getting younger, acquiring assets, trading Lowry/DD is the way the management group thinks is the way to go, then that's fine. It's the way I'd lean towards too.

Comment

Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

A lot of talk about building a winning culture. i understand this point, but to me you build that in the playoffs. The current core has not shown me much promise of making a run in the playoffs yet, so why are people assuming that next year will be different? Injuries happen every year to key players so that isnt a great excuse. DC is reportedly staying on as coach so that cant be an excuse. I could understand if this team was looking to go far in the playoffs but at this point winning a series would be impressive. You aren't attracting free agents with an aging core and first round exits I know that.

Comment

This core group is incompetent in the playoffs.
          And if anyone has any doubts, JUST LOOK AT THE HOU VS GSW series and then THINK BACK of how the raps played in their 1st round series. You will send your brain into shock; because it WILL HIT LIKE A Demar 3pt brick, THIS TEAM IS NOT GOOD AT ALL, especially when you consider how terrible the East is.

That being said, Orlando, Boston, and Milwaukee are coming...can the raps stay ahead of those teams? Cle isn't going anywhere; ATL is building something special.
          Wall and Beal aren't moving to the Western Conf. Chicago with a new coach may unleash their potential.
          PG13 IS BACK. Pat Riley will try to win by any means necessary.

The sixers have potential game changers and a good coach (YES he's good, you shall see).

The advantage with the current core is that it makes it possible to BUILD without tanking; but that takes a lot of skills at the GM level?? You NEED TO STEAL POTENTIAL WHO IS NOT BEING develop the right way (that is hard to do, especially if you do not use advanced analytics).

We NEED A JAMES HARDEN trade ; even something remotely close would put us in the right direction.

We'll see what MU is made off , is he legit or HE'S JUST FULL OF GAS. All indications point to the later, but I'm reserving judgement until the summer.

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
          A lot of talk about building a winning culture. i understand this point, but to me you build that in the playoffs. The current core has not shown me much promise of making a run in the playoffs yet, so why are people assuming that next year will be different? Injuries happen every year to key players so that isnt a great excuse. DC is reportedly staying on as coach so that cant be an excuse. I could understand if this team was looking to go far in the playoffs but at this point winning a series would be impressive. You aren't attracting free agents with an aging core and first round exits I know that.

Comment

I find it interesting that people instantly equate getting young talent to tanking.

I support the idea of moving away from the current core. I would love to be able to do that by acquiring some amazing players in the league already. But I realize that isn't in the cards.

Therefor I support trading away some of our current players to get a shot via the draft. Because as much as some people seem to think we are in the middle of some process that is going to take us somewhere. Except that it is obviously failing. Look at the comments from Paul Pierce and the American media from the ASG up until now. This culture building has been a failure to date.

Right now we are a team winning a historically awful division in a historically weak conference. Yet we still can't get out of the first round. I don't understand how anyone interested in winning can't look at the history of this team along with lack of improvement over this season and not want to load up on draft picks and try again.

Comment

Mindlessness wrote: View Post
              This is my opinion right here. I find it hilarious myself to see the hell on Earth the forum's views have taken after last offseason where we were on a high screaming and shouting about the flexibility we have.

The only difference I have with you is that if getting younger, acquiring assets, trading Lowry/DD is the way the management group thinks is the way to go, then that's fine. It's the way I'd lean towards too.
              Last year there was optimism because:
              1) Lowry was a new man,
              2) DD took his game up a notch and was just turning 25,
              3) JV was just turned 22 and was showing signs of being a top 10 C,
              4) There were solid role players who came back and signed,
              5) there were long athletic young players filling out the third string,
              6) They just fought tooth and nail to lose to a veteran and talented Nets squad in the last second of game 7,
              7) Casey showed.... Well, nothing after February.
              8) Masai pulled another his third consecutive shrewd move on Salmons deal.

Then this season:
              1) old Lowry came back,
              2) DD regressed, became injured, ended strong but that didn't translate to wins,
              3) JV, like his first 2 seasons, was jerked and yanked and lost another year,
              4) Solid role players aged horribly or regressed,
              5) the youngsters never played, never developed - cost of Casey and no Dleague team,
              6) raps were smoked in first round and by game 3/4 looked like they didn't give a fuck,
              7) Casey doubled down on post February 2014 stupidity,
              8) Masai did nothing watching the train wreck unfold which I think spoke volumes.....maybe the players realized that too - it would explain a lot.

Why has the tone in the forums changed? Because an up and coming team ran into a brick wall this season. Masai gave the players and coaches every opportunity to show they were worthy of coming back for another year and they shat all over it.

As circumstances change, opinions change. With true colours coming through, shitty coaching, expiring contracts, declining production, and serious regression over the previous season, the opinion on this team has certainly changed. The last hope is Masai but if he sticks with this shame of a team then the opinion is likely to change on him too.

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                This is exactly it. It's a chicken and egg dilemma: can't attract talent without winning, can't win without talent.

The other major issue is that we are at an inherent disadvantage due to our location. We don't have the luxury of the Lakers or Heat in that our city is somewhere NBA players want to live/party. So until we can build our reputation through strong sustained playoff success, we need to build a foundation of high-ceiling talent.

I don't understand how people think that is a losing mentality. It's realistic. I think it's delusional to keep trying to build from the middle the way we have for 20 years while expecting different results.

Comment

Like McHappy says, I want to take a step back too, by trading lowry and DD. Lowry is not going to get better at this point and its better to trade him early, before his value drops. Same for DD, because he's on a one year deal next year, assuming he opts out of his 9.5 million dollar contract. One guy i talked to wanted to keep DD for 12 million. I laughed in his face, because DD is going to command 15-18+ for sure and DD isn't going to accept that low ball offer even with a "hometown discount."
                  Anyway, people call this "tanking" but I couldn't care less if we ended up with a young core of long defenders who can play on both sides of the ball. If we cash in now, hopefully we won't have to rebuild for a long time. This offseason is important. So far I believe in Masai, but if he does nothing with the core, i will be very disappointed, because he gave the team a chance to prove their worth and they sucked bigtime.

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
                    Many Raptors fans on RR do seem to have a loser's mentality.

Championship or tank.....no middleocrity.... I mean mediocrity.

People are just too impatient and don't want to go through the process unless it's the draft process.

Some people are waiting on Bruno lol

Edit:

To each his/her own. I believe we can add and subtract and have a better team. Still too early to throw grenades.

Funny thing is its the same people saying the same things. This is really just regurgitation. Check the tanking thread if it's still around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Can't blame Toronto fans in general. We've been suffering for a long long time! Blue Jays since 93, Leafs since 67, Raps and TFC never won shit/barely playoff contenders. Unless we count the Argos, TO sports suck!

And to whoever saying we need a James Harden to come here, Raps always have that problem of talent wanting to come here remember! So far, unfortunately, the best we've got is Kyle Lowry.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                      There is more hope waiting on Bruno than relying on DD/Lowry
                      You're joking right? if not WOW.

I said it before and i'll say it again, i'd be surprised if Bruno ever plays meaningful mins in the NBA.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                        You're joking right? if not WOW.

I said it before and i'll say it again, i'd be surprised if Bruno ever plays meaningful mins in the NBA.
                        As with most arguments here (on the internet in general), the reality is likely somewhere in the middle.
                        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
                          As with most arguments here (on the internet in general), the reality is likely somewhere in the middle.
                          More on my end though.... lol

It really isn't a wow statement though.

There is more hope waiting on Bruno because there is a chance he might be a stud. Guy is 2-3 months older than this years consensus #1 and 2.

There is no hope building on Lowry and DeRozan. 2 first round exits - and this year a major regression - is enough evidence.

And we've all been through the song and dance of how it is going to be EXTREMELY difficult to get better with the current core.

More hope waiting on Bruno.

Comment

Hey! Hey! Hey!

When the Raptors say the team is young, they can say it with a straight face now!

Bobby Marks ‏@BobbyMarks42 4m4 minutes ago

P1:Avg Age: NBA
                            PHI 23.0
                            UTH 23.5
                            MIL 23.5
                            POR 24.0
                            ORL 24.23
                            TOR 24.55
                            PHX 24.7
                            BOS 24.8
                            BKN 24.8
                            MIN 25.00
                            CHA 25.08
                            LAL 25.2
                            6th youngest in the league!

Comment

Hey! Hey! Hey!

When the Raptors say the team is young, they can say it with a straight face now!

If Powell and Daniels sign that drops it even more

Comment

Hey! Hey! Hey!

What were we at the end of last year? How much younger have we gotten?
                                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Working...
                                X