Utah fans trade idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah fans trade idea

4. Jazz trade #12, OKC 1st, Trey Burke, & Trevor Booker to the Toronto Raptors for Grevis Vasquez, Patrick Patterson, & #20 pick

Ben Dowsett: This one is pretty close, but I think I’d do it to add some very cheap shooting in Patterson. Dennis Lindsey and his group have proven they can strike gold on later first round picks.

Andy Larsen: I understand the proposal here: the Jazz would fill two items of need in backup PG and shooting big. But Patterson and Vasquez are not big enough upgrades on Burke or Booker to justify giving up a pick and downgrading from 12 to 20 in a 15 player draft, in my opinion.

Layne Murdoch Jr./NBAE via Getty Images
    Denim Millward: I can’t say it’s not a fair deal, but I would pass. Utah would essentially would be shipping out a future first and trading down 8 spots for what I surmise to be a decent upgrade at point guard and a very minor upgrade on your front court depth. I don’t know Patterson would fit as well as Booker does in Quin Snyder’s offense, and Vasquez can bolt after a single season, re-opening the point guard conundrum.

Matt Pacenza: Yes, but this one is very close. Both Vasquez and Patterson are decent and on good contracts. The former would pair will with an improving Exum, while the latter is a good third stretch big for the Jazz. If they’re both good additions to the team culture, and the Jazz don’t love anyone at #12, I’d go for it.

David J. Smith: Yes. Vasquez and Patterson would address some of Utah’s offseason needs: improved shooting (particularly a stretch 4), better point guard play, and veteran contributors for depth. The fact that they are on decent contracts helps. In this transaction, #12 would be the biggest loss, but the Jazz could find a nice player at #20 or swing it in another deal.
    http://saltcityhoops.com/5-on-5-trading-the-12-pick/

Always fun seeing another perspective from another team fans.

3-2 yes.

What do you think?

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    http://saltcityhoops.com/5-on-5-trading-the-12-pick/

Always fun seeing another perspective from another team fans.

3-2 yes.

What do you think?
    I would do this in a second. I can't believe its a Utah site offering this because this seems like a steal.

Comment

jacobdr4 wrote: View Post
      I would do this in a second. I can't believe its a Utah site offering this because this seems like a steal.
      They are loaded on youth and could use veteran role players.

Case of different circumstances for each team.

Take out the 2018 OKC pick and #20 this year and I would say yes.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        They are loaded on youth and could use veteran role players.

Case of different circumstances for each team.

Take out the 2018 OKC pick and #20 this year and I would say yes.
        You would do it if it were the #12, trey burke and trevor booker for patrick patterson and grevis? i think this makes even less sense for utah. either way... id take it

Edit: on second though, I guess it still makes sense. Trevor Booker is no prospect or anything, and trading the OKC pick for our 20 doesn't really make sense for them since in 2018 OKC could be in rebuild mode if Durant goes elsewhere next year.
        Last edited by Mr.Z; Sun May 24, 2015, 01:14 PM.
        You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Done in a heartbeat.

Comment

Immediately say YES!!!!!!!!!
            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

I think you say yes to this before they have a chance to retract it.

The only even remote hesitation I have in regards to this trade is giving up Patterson but the return is too good to pass (especially the 12 for 20 swap and the future OKC pick).

I might want to see if the trade could be pulled off minus Patterson and Booker and/or replacing Burke with Exum though but that would just be me being greedy.
              "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
              "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Utah fans trade idea

I think you have to say yes.

GV holds no real value for us moving forward, so him and Booker are a wash - both small role players.

Burke vs Patterson - Burke is much higher ceiling and at 12, PPatt is easily replaced.

So for me, you're trading #20 for #12 plus a future pick.
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

GV/Booker are a wash.. both expiring/both suck. Burke however just got a 4 year $41M contract.. that's high for a guy that's not so good.. kind of like DD's extension. I don't think he's starter material and that's a lot of money to pay for a backup. Big investment to move up 8 spots in a draft and to give up Patterson.

OKC's pick is defined like this:

2018 first round draft pick from Oklahoma City
                  Oklahoma City's 1st round pick to Utah protected for selections 1-14 in 2018 (conveyable if Oklahoma City conveys a 1st round pick to Philadelphia in 2016), 1-14 in 2019 and 1-14 in 2020; if Oklahoma City has not conveyed a 1st round pick to Utah by 2020, then Oklahoma City will instead convey its 2020 2nd round pick and 2021 2nd round pick to Utah [Detroit-Oklahoma City-Utah, 2/19/2015]

... if Durant/Westbrook flee.. those picks will either not be conceived or will end up becoming 2nd rounders.

If the Raptors trade Lowry then I say yes (need a PG with both Lowry/GV gone and a Lowry trade signifies a tank move). If they don't, then I say no. Patterson has value, and if Amir is gone he's even more important to the team.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                    GV/Booker are a wash.. both expiring/both suck. Burke however just got a 4 year $41M contract.. that's high for a guy that's not so good.. kind of like DD's extension. I don't think he's starter material and that's a lot of money to pay for a backup. Big investment to move up 8 spots in a draft and to give up Patterson.

OKC's pick is defined like this:

2018 first round draft pick from Oklahoma City
                    Oklahoma City's 1st round pick to Utah protected for selections 1-14 in 2018 (conveyable if Oklahoma City conveys a 1st round pick to Philadelphia in 2016), 1-14 in 2019 and 1-14 in 2020; if Oklahoma City has not conveyed a 1st round pick to Utah by 2020, then Oklahoma City will instead convey its 2020 2nd round pick and 2021 2nd round pick to Utah [Detroit-Oklahoma City-Utah, 2/19/2015]

... if Durant/Westbrook flee.. those picks will either not be conceived or will end up becoming 2nd rounders.

If the Raptors trade Lowry then I say yes (need a PG with both Lowry/GV gone and a Lowry trade signifies a tank move). If they don't, then I say no. Patterson has value, and if Amir is gone he's even more important to the team.
                    Think you're mixing up Burke and Burks.

Burks is the SG/combo guard who you clearly think it is. Burke is the smallish PG still on his rookie deal. Neither look like great players at the moment. Or maybe you're just mixing up their contract statuses.

---

It's not terrible return...a couple of serviceable albeit unimpressive pieces, an extra pick (or eventually 2 2nd rders), and moving up in this draft. It's not like the Raptors are sending out amazing pieces. Pat is maybe the best piece in the deal, but not by that much. But I don't really feel this specific deal. It's spare parts for spare parts. You'd have to really like someone at #12 in the draft. Otherwise it'd be nice to get a better young player than Burke (mediocre small PG who can't shoot), even if it meant no draft pick and/or no moving up.

Comment

Yeah mixed up Burke with Burks. Would still say 'no' unless Lowry was traded.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        Think you're mixing up Burke and Burks.

Burks is the SG/combo guard who you clearly think it is. Burke is the smallish PG still on his rookie deal. Neither look like great players at the moment. Or maybe you're just mixing up their contract statuses.

---

It's not terrible return...a couple of serviceable albeit unimpressive pieces, an extra pick (or eventually 2 2nd rders), and moving up in this draft. It's not like the Raptors are sending out amazing pieces. Pat is maybe the best piece in the deal, but not by that much. But I don't really feel this specific deal. It's spare parts for spare parts. You'd have to really like someone at #12 in the draft. Otherwise it'd be nice to get a better young player than Burke (mediocre small PG who can't shoot), even if it meant no draft pick and/or no moving up.
                        I think the reason you would do this if you are the raps is if you intend on a rebuild. No point in having PPat and GV if you want to tear down. Burke makes more sense, as he is still on his rookie deal and moving up in the draft obviously for better young talent. Isn't looking very good however and at best appears to be an undersized backup pg who can create his own shot. I'd do it if we were looking to trade DD/KL for sure. If MU is sure about whoever is available at 12 i still have no problem though.

Comment

Trey Burke still has quite the upside.

He could be a bit of a steal if he decided to shoot less and play more PG

Comment

This is my first post on raptors republic every so here i go! I personally love this trade i do it. but i would try to adjust it by taking out okc's pick and our 20th pick and try to pry dante away from them if possible.

Comment

Working...
                            X