No wrong way to build a team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McRealistic wrote: View Post
    LOL, Oh, DanH, I think you and only handful of people here + Big Val and his agent can make these claims, ignore everything that happened during the season, ignore his shortcomings on defence, especially on help defence with straight face

For anyone else interested on more balance and unbiased assessment of where BigVal and his game is, listen to the podcast:

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2015/...that-wasnt-us/
    Just thought I'd bump this to point out again how ridiculous it is to use RR podcasts to support any kind of point....

This week's guest on the RR podcast, forum member yertu damkule...That's right. This week's guest to talk ball is actually just a fan off the forum. And we still know more about him than last week's guest, Will...

Comment

Trading DD/Lowry for picks and potential and then putting the team "in Val's hands" means we become really bad in the short term. That's great if that is the game plan (push the reset button and go for top 3 pick) but I feel like some of you think it's a move that will actually make us more successful than we've been the last two seasons… right away. I disagree.

His offensive game is efficient when looking at percentages but it's still very limited. His play making prowess is basically non existent, although he hasn't had much of a chance to develop it in Toronto. Regardless, when I watch him play there's absolutely nothing that says "offensive focal point" to me. The story on D is much the same - some areas of competency, some aspects that he does even better than that, a system around him that sets him up to fail too often than it should, but still not a player that I watch play and think that is suited to anchor a very good defence. At least not yet.

And maybe you guys think that turning things over to him will allow him to grow into that dominant player but I just don't see it. I think his ceiling is a notch or two below that.

I also have a lot of questions about making a young and frankly still very immature player with limited english/communication skills your franchise 'leader'. I don't believe there's a precedence for that (at least not a successful precedent), and I'm not sure how it would fair in the modern NBA.
      Last edited by Fully; Mon May 25, 2015, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
        Christ, why didn't any of us think of that. GET A SUPERSTAR! Who would have thought it was so simple. McRealistic, man, you should be running an NBA team.
        You can keep your childish sarcasm to yourself next time if you expect a mature respond back from me.

Puffer wrote: View Post
        Oh, and actually here are a couple of quotes from Masai: "Jonas Valanciunas is 'a huge part of our team' going into the future, Ujiri said, expressing his belief that such big men are still valuable even in an era of small ball.."
        You should try to read my posts better or understand what MU is saying here.
        MU saying that J.V. is the "huge part of our team" and I agree with that.
        Being a "huge part of the team" does not mean the first option and it does not mean the he is a centrepiece.

I too think J.V. , if developed should be a "huge part of the team" and I do think that DD can also be a huge part of the future.

However, neither of them have the talent to be the first option, the super star, the franchise player and centrepiece of a competitive team in NBA.

The rest of your post is irrelevant and hence not worth a reply from me.

Comment

Not sure where the nonsense started but I'm going to break out the trusty mod hammer if we can't have a discussion without insult drenched posts...

This has been a friendly reminder to knock it the fuck off. Thanks!
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Wait, does anyone believe that putting JV as the main option and trading DD and Lowry would mean more wins immediately? They'd be nuts. Obviously it would be a big step back, with focus on development with the hopes that in a couple years when JV has finished his 5 year C development curve he can be a big difference maker. And if that fails, you've got a couple years of top draft picks and loads of cap space to take more kicks at the can, plus at least a solid starter in a hard to fill position.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
              Wait, does anyone believe that putting JV as the main option and trading DD and Lowry would mean more wins immediately? They'd be nuts. Obviously it would be a big step back, with focus on development with the hopes that in a couple years when JV has finished his 5 year C development curve he can be a big difference maker. And if that fails, you've got a couple years of top draft picks and loads of cap space to take more kicks at the can, plus at least a solid starter in a hard to fill position.
              No one explicitly said otherwise, although there was a post early in the thread that likened the Raps handing things over to JV with the Warriors handing things over to Steph Curry, and said that a DD trade coupled with a JV promotion would give the Raptors a shot to be championship contenders 'without tanking'… so yes, I guess there's at least one that feels that the team can exceed their current success in the not too distant future. Overall it seems like people think JV becoming a dominant player is as simple as turning him loose, but admittedly maybe I'm reading too much into certain posts.

Regardless, even if you're suggesting to tank with JV's development as priority number one for the next few seasons, I still think you're making a mistake. Once again I'll reiterate that I believe his ceiling to be a level or two below the type of player that you would make those type of concessions for. I see him trending out to having a Gortat level of impact, and if another fan base suggested that they're stripping things down to build around a young polish hammer, what would our reaction be?

The current coach/roster clearly needs to be shaken up, and I'm all for trading one of DD/Lowry (potentially both if the right deal comes along), but not with the intention to clear house so we can hand things over to JV. I think some of us are overlooking the language barrier/immaturity thing when it comes to JV and appointing him the "leader" of the team, on top of the lack of elite talent issue.
              Last edited by Fully; Tue May 26, 2015, 05:56 PM.

Comment

I would also be very upset if we rebuilt around a young Polish Hammer. Where we differ is in our valuation of JV - his ceiling is way above Gortat.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                  I would also be very upset if we rebuilt around a young Polish Hammer. Where we differ is in our valuation of JV - his ceiling is way above Gortat.
                  That would be your opinion ....

Comment

Building around JV and not trading JV are not the same things.
                    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Working...
                    X