Everything 2016 NBA All Star Game in Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KHD wrote: View Post
    Guys, are we really putting this above Vince?

Sorry, but I'll never put a dunk that involves a goofy looking mascot above what Carter did. Aesthetically, it isn't even close IMO.
    Ok, well caring about the mascot thing is silly.

That aside, it's not about putting above. This is an event with benchmark years. This was a benchmark. This was the first time a contest felt if not more impressive, at least truly differently impressive since Vince. The expectations are raised now.

That's how these things go. Most dunk contests after Nique and Jordan felt like bad ripoffs of those guys, even if they managed to add a little something extra....the dunks were often modeled after what those guys did. That was until Carter, and he shaped basically every contest since then with his dunks (guys trying to find new ways to do what he did). And this is the first time since then I feel like some new stuff was brought to the table and executed in elite fashion.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Feb 14, 2016, 02:52 AM.

Comment

• The thing with props is they're usually accompanied by underwhelming dunks. All the attention and effort goes into the prop, and the dunk itself is not that great, or just gimmicky. Those mascot dunks - the dunks themselves were absolutely incredible.

It was also a great face off between the two finalists - completely different styles that came through in every one of their dunks.

And the execution was so much better than those terrible years with so many attempts...
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Noone will top 360 windmill by Vince. But you gotta admit Lavine had better dunks from FT line than Vince's FT dunk
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• I think for me the Gordon high jump sitting over the mascot dunk takes it for sheer impossibility. I honestly didn't think a human could do that until tonight.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
              I think for me the Gordon high jump sitting over the mascot dunk takes it for sheer impossibility. I honestly didn't think a human could do that until tonight.
              This! The dunk was ridiculous on it's own. Add in jumping over a mascot to the mix and this makes it the greatest dunk ever to me.
              "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                Guys, are we really putting this above Vince?

Sorry, but I'll never put a dunk that involves a goofy looking mascot above what Carter did. Aesthetically, it isn't even close IMO.
                Not even close in my opinion. The power alone of Vince's dunks was incredible.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                  Best dunk in contest history

Agreed. I still think that Vince's contest as a whole was much better than Gordon's, but for a individual dunk, this one's the new king.
                  "Stop eating your sushi."
                  "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                  "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    Ok, well caring about the mascot thing is silly.

That aside, it's not about putting above. This is an event with benchmark years. This was a benchmark. This was the first time a contest felt if not more impressive, at least truly differently impressive since Vince. The expectations are raised now.

That's how these things go. Most dunk contests after Nique and Jordan felt like bad ripoffs of those guys, even if they managed to add a little something extra....the dunks were often modeled after what those guys did. That was until Carter, and he shaped basically every contest since then with his dunks (guys trying to find new ways to do what he did). And this is the first time since then I feel like some new stuff was brought to the table and executed in elite fashion.
                    it's all star weekend, it's all silly.

Carter's dunks looked better because no mascot, and they were just more powerful and shocking, IMO.

Gordon and Lavine were both impressive as fuck though.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                      LOL kEVIN HART :d
                      Lowry barely bested Lil Kev's score. Home court jitters? LOL

Comment

• Everything 2016 NBA All Star Game in Toronto

The one where gordan literally sat In mid air is the best dunk of all time imo. I didn't even think that was possible. Like you don't realize how good it was until you see it in slow motion and see him literally sitting at rim level. AND then he did a left handed dunk, and he's a righty

The Vince 360 is hard to beat, but I think honestly, this was even better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Vince 2000 was legendary and saved the dunk contest from years of bad performances but Zach LaVine last year was the best individual performance since VC 2000 and LaVine vs Gordon this year was the best dunk battle in history! the Mascot did not negatively affect Gordon's dunks...and his "seated" dunk tore the roof off and will be one we'll see on highlights even 30yrs from now!
                          Last edited by RepTdot; Sun Feb 14, 2016, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• I feel bad for future contestants cause how do you top some of the stuff these guys did! I wanna see a re-match in Charlotte lol

Comment

• this guy is so humble. mans really deserved to win. he gained a new fan in me
                              I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                                The one where gordan literally sat In mid air is the best dunk of all time imo. I didn't even think that was possible. Like you don't realize how good it was until you see it in slow motion and see him literally sitting at rim level. AND then he did a left handed dunk, and he's a righty

The Vince 360 is hard to beat, but I think honestly, this was even better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                It's probably the hardest dunk ever in an NBA dunk contest in terms of degree of difficulty. Requires crazy height, power and coordination on the dunk. LaVine does effortless shit from the FT line (or anywhere really), but the dunks were "easier" in terms of what he's doing in the air.

Greatest dunk of all time is probably still from the Olympics where Carter jumped over the guy, because it happened spontaneously in the game, so the excitement factor was more off the charts than anything in a dunk contest. But Gordon's was basically a more difficult version of that. He had to get his ass like 7ish feet in the air and bring his legs up with him. Fucking crazy. Only seen that on random hoops mixtapes online.

The thing with these is people need to understand it isn't calling Gordon a better "dunker". If Carter or LaVine executed the same dunk, it'd probably look even more impressive because of their sweet dunking style. But that dunk was just off the charts. Easily the best dunk of the night. LaVine is crazy though, and he brought the contest back last year, but this was the first good actual contest between two guys probably since MJ and Nique. As good as T-Mac and Francis were Carter's year, he was clearly never going to lose that thing.

Personally, I think it's going to take something like this to raise the bar another level in the dunk contest, and I don't even know if random "pro" dunkers can do this one. Soon, hopefully, and not like 15 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X