Everything 2016 NBA All Star Game in Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primer wrote: View Post
    Well, it was for the NBA All Star game, not the Raptors, so I'm sure Minnesota was happy to have it implied that Wiggins will be an All Star.
    He'll probably play in both games (The new America vs The World Rookie/Spohomore Game as well).
    Axel wrote:
    Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
    KeonClark wrote:
    We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
    KeonClark wrote:
    I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Wiggins being there was so strange

worst part of it all is it has my mind racing
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

NBA.com's Official Release on it was a good summary of the Game and the Logo and some other stuff..

TORONTO — The National Basketball Association (NBA) today unveiled the logo for NBA All-Star 2016 in Toronto -- the first NBA All-Star to be held outside of the United States. The logo design pays tribute to the iconic CN Tower, the tallest free-standing structure in the Western Hemisphere and the crown jewel of Toronto's skyline.

The announcement was made earlier today at the CN Tower by Toronto Deputy Mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong, Toronto Tourism Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer Andrew Weir, NBA Canada Vice President and Managing Director Dan MacKenzie, CN Tower Chief Operating Officer Jack Robinson, and 2014-15 Kia NBA Rookie of the Year Andrew Wiggins, the first Canadian-born player to win Rookie of the Year. The 65th NBA All-Star Game tips off on Sunday, Feb. 14, at Air Canada Centre, home of the Toronto Raptors.

NBA All-Star 2016 will celebrate the 125th anniversary of the birth of basketball. Dr. James Naismith, a Canadian, invented the game in 1891, beginning the nation's rich history with the sport. Toronto also hosted the first game in NBA history on Nov. 1, 1946, at Maple Leaf Gardens.

The logo, designed in collaboration with the Raptors, integrates the CN Tower silhouette with the team's red, white and black colors. Additional secondary logos include a signature NBA "star" logo inside a dynamic maple leaf and an All-Star toque logo, featuring a clawed star, which pays tribute to the popular accessory worn during Canada's winter months.

About NBA All-Star 2016
        NBA All-Star 2016 in Toronto -- the first All-Star to be held outside of the United States -- will bring together some of the most talented and passionate players in the league's history for a global celebration of the game. The 65th NBA All-Star Game, which will take place Sunday, Feb. 14 at the Air Canada Centre, will reach fans in more than 200 countries in more than 40 languages. TNT will televise the All-Star Game for the 14th consecutive year, marking Turner Sports' 31st year of All-Star coverage. The Air Canada Centre will also host the BBVA Compass Rising Stars Challenge on Friday, Feb. 12 and State Farm All-Star Saturday Night on Saturday, Feb. 13. Other events at NBA All-Star 2016 include the Sprint NBA All-Star Celebrity Game, the NBA Development League All-Star Game presented by Kumho Tire and the NBA Development League Dream Factory presented by Boost Mobile. NBA rosters at the start of the 2014-15 season featured a record 12 Canadians -- more than any country outside the United States. The 2014-15 regular season also generated significant increases in national television viewership in Canada for both the NBA (+73%) and the Raptors (+75%).

That's a pretty rag-tag group of people that showed up for the unveiling .. Haha I didn't even know "NBA Canada" was a separate thing. Unless they're just really pushing it now, because apparently "NBA Canada's Twitter" is the place for all Information ... weird.

Those viewership numbers are impressive though! Also glad Americans are being reminded of Dr. James Naismith. He's a good man. Keeps RR chugging that's for sure!
        Last edited by Joey; Wed May 27, 2015, 05:35 PM.

Comment

I don't think it's that strange. Wiggins is arguably a bigger star worldwide than either DD and KL. I think they're target audience for the All Star Game goes beyond just Toronto and Canada. Even with that said Wiggins is from Toronto and perfect for that reason as well. Plus he was likely in town anyway (since I did read he's not yet started training for next season).
          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
            I don't think it's that strange. Wiggins is arguably a bigger star worldwide than either DD and KL. I think they're target audience for the All Star Game goes beyond just Toronto and Canada. Even with that said Wiggins is from Toronto and perfect for that reason as well. Plus he was likely in town anyway (since I did read he's not yet started training for next season).
            I would bet that we had to clear it with Minnesota too, wouldn't want to be accused of tampering.

I am surprised though that they wouldn't try to include Lowry and/or DeRozan. That part is weird considering that both guys have embraced being the face of the franchise.

The logos aren't bad though. When do we get igloo and beaver versions?

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
              I would bet that we had to clear it with Minnesota too, wouldn't want to be accused of tampering.

I am surprised though that they wouldn't try to include Lowry and/or DeRozan. That part is weird considering that both guys have embraced being the face of the franchise.

The logos aren't bad though. When do we get igloo and beaver versions?
              Apparently they smell like maple syrup and politeness.
              "Stop eating your sushi."
              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Dope!

Comment

just an FYI- full weekend tickets starts at $1000+/per ticket for nose bleeds and that if you get one of the very few pre-sale tickets...once it goes into the open market...we better get ready to sell our organs to pay for one of these.

Comment

Wiggins better be in the dunk contest. He'd get a good pop from the crowd.
                    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

RepTdot wrote: View Post
                      just an FYI- full weekend tickets starts at $1000+/per ticket for nose bleeds and that if you get one of the very few pre-sale tickets...once it goes into the open market...we better get ready to sell our organs to pay for one of these.
                      Welp, that just saved me a lot of coin. I'll just watch on TV and get all the extra tidbits anyways.

Comment

The new claw looks horrendous! It looks like dracula hands with long fingernails.

Comment

*shakes head*

Not sure what's the right word to use. Strange? weird? awkward? raptors?

Why Wiggins? because he's Canadian?? smh i wonder how DeRozan and Lowry feels?

This organization just never gets it right. Pretty embarassing if you ask me. It's not like they don't have any good players. If the ASG was in LA, i'm pretty sure Kobe or whoever is the face of the franchise would be the face of an event like this not some hometown kid. Are you kidding me?

Let's say this was baseball. Do you think the Blue Jays would use some hometown kid to represent them instead of Jose Bautista or Josh Donaldson? no way!!
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

The right word is: overreaction
                            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

DD and Lowry probably weren't in town. The reveal of a logo is not exactly a big deal, I doubt either would want to fly in for a stupid presentation of a logo that's not even the team's new logo.

Wiggins lives here, so he was an easy choice with the Canada Basketball connection.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                                DD and Lowry probably weren't in town. The reveal of a logo is not exactly a big deal, I doubt either would want to fly in for a stupid presentation of a logo that's not even the team's new logo.

Wiggins lives here, so he was an easy choice with the Canada Basketball connection.
                                Oh this is a big deal. When you think of Toronto basketball, you think of the Raptors. When you think of the Raptors you think of who? Lowry adn DeRozan right? maybe Masai? or Vince Carter? Wiggins? hmm.

Actually you know what, i think i foudn the right word. Disrepectful

Like i said, if this was baseball, Jose Bautista or/and Josh Donaldson would be front and center of an event like this not some hometown kid. If this was hockey i'm pretty sure some Leafs scrubs like Kessel and Phaneuf would be there to be the face of the organization.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X