No announcement yet.

Everything 2016 NBA All Star Game in Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halftime shows generally sound terrible - especially at the Superbowl.

Went to Google some recent NBA halftime acts and didn't even know they had Earth, Wind, & Fire just a few years ago - so there's precedent for Sting and his walker.

Also Drake was part of the 2011 act with Kanye and Rihanna - maybe that precludes him from being involved this year.

But having local acts every year would be a good idea. Next year in Charlotte, NC? I hear Tori Amos is available. That would be a party.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• LOL Tori Amos!

I agree I have nothing against local acts. And no disrespect to Sting either. I just think it feels like the wrong timing. Sting did the Superbowl in 2003. That's 13 years ago.

I dunno, maybe the demographics are right -- I mean after all these tickets were like $500 per seat for the nosebleeds so maybe the only people who can afford to go were/are Sting fans. As far as the All-Star game goes, I don't remember the last time I watched it anyway, so there's that too (who cares what I'd prefer if I'm not even going to watch?).
      Last edited by ebrian; Thu Jan 28, 2016, 12:54 PM.
      your pal,
      ebrian

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
        I liked him in Lock, Stock and 2 smoking barrels, but he's got less hoops cred than BMO.

who cares about hoops cred.

Allstar games are about corporate sponsorships and marketability among the "elite", and Sting will fit that mold better than whatever the latest popular hiphop guy/gal is.

We are talking about people and organizations that can afford to buy $3K and up tickets.

Its not about the common fan of the sport.

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
          Who gives a flying crap who does the halftime entertainment of any event? Thats when we all use the can, go grab some food, shoot the shit and smoke butts out in the cold. The Super Bowl is one thing, but the NBA all star game? Overrated. Sting is a fine selection by the NBA.
          smoking is bad for you.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
            I'm not sure I've ever met anyone from Nova Scotia who didn't try to plug Classified at least once.
            and Ann Murray.

And Candlebox

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Lol, it did get me honestly wondering how the term "droppin' dimes" came about, though....
              Ooh, ooh, I know! Pick me!

Started in law enforcement - back when pay phones were a dime per call, someone calling in a tip to help (assist) in the solving of a crime was said to be dropping a dime (also eventually developed a negative connotation for snitches). Basketball terminology borrowed the term to describe assists, helpers, etc.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                Ooh, ooh, I know! Pick me!

Started in law enforcement - back when pay phones were a dime per call, someone calling in a tip to help (assist) in the solving of a crime was said to be dropping a dime (also eventually developed a negative connotation for snitches). Basketball terminology borrowed the term to describe assists, helpers, etc.
                So an assist is equivalent to helping the police solve a crime. Gotcha.

Comment

• awww yeah let's go
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                    who cares about hoops cred.

Allstar games are about corporate sponsorships and marketability among the "elite", and Sting will fit that mold better than whatever the latest popular hiphop guy/gal is.

We are talking about people and organizations that can afford to buy $3K and up tickets.

Its not about the common fan of the sport.
                    Cause every corporation is trying to market to the demographic their CEO's are in?

The ACC can only hold so many people. I don't think they need helping filling the seats by appealing to people who would pay $3K for a Sting concert alone.

Anyway, Toronto should have brought back Kanye. Just for the protest fun.
                    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                      how is using a canadian artist cheesy? management have painstakingly worked at making the raptors "canaada's team". finally getting the ASG is a huge achievement in terms of promoting the city.
                      Should have been Bieber!

Comment

• I was going to spit a joke about David Bowie being more relevant musically than Sting -- and he's dead ... but it's probably too soon for that one.

Toronto probably has no say in this. That's Turner and NBA selecting a has been. Oh well.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          So an assist is equivalent to helping the police solve a crime. Gotcha.
                          is that why some guys refuse to pass?

They aint no snitch?

Comment

They aint no snitch?
                            Damn John Wall and Rajon Rondo are a snitching machine.

And John Stockton might be the biggest snitch in the world. Shame on him, "white boy".

Comment

They aint no snitch?
                              Explains Melo before this year.
                              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                                Explains Melo before this year.
                                melo is moving the ball alot more this year.

As pointed out earlier in the thread in comparison to one of our own guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X