There has never been a better time to rebuild than right now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    So many people mock and ridicule them I think they will be serving helpings of humble pie soon enough.

Noel has turned out to be a fantastic piece to build around. He is going to be a defensive force for years.
    They are no Joke. Noel is a great piece. Embiid can be a great player. they can get a solid PG in this year's draft but this was all possible by being in lottery for few years and also being in top 3.

Same goes to OKC when they build Durant, Westbrooks, Harden Trio.

I can not recall a rebuild with team having success just getting picks from 5 and lower ... I guess the only one is GSW with Curry and Klay and Green but then they have Jerry West .

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
      Let's say the Knicks took DeRozan ($10.1M) for 4th pick ($3,992,040, assuming the rather standard 120% rookie scale contract for a top pick) and Calderon ($7.1M). They would add a 25 year old all-star shooting guard in an effort to be more competitive immediately, and also add open up close to $1M in room to spend this summer.

Outgoing Salary: $11,092,040
      Incoming Salary: $10,100,000

Taking on Lowry ($12M) in such a trade would actually just cost them $1M more than what they send out. Taking on either Lowry or DeRozan would not remove the Knicks from their free agent goals at all.
      Thank you for breaking down the salary cap implications but I did not say trading #4 would remove them from their free agent goals. I just don't believe there is a realistic scenario they would trade Calderon / #4 for one of DD or Lowry.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
        I would go as far as to say this if we do not trade some combo of DD/KL/JV or picks out this offseason, then Philly is closer to making the Finals than we are.
        Here's an interesting question:

You can trade Philly's entire roster & stash of draft picks for the Raptor's players & picks.

Do you do it?
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Honestly, I think trading for multiple top 10 picks is as much a pipe dream as signing a player like Butler, Kawhi, Gasol, Aldridge or KD etc.
          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
            Here's an interesting question:

You can trade Philly's entire roster & stash of draft picks for the Raptor's players & picks.

Do you do it?
            Hmmmm....you would acquire all the benefits of tanking without actually going through all the awful seasons. That is certainly appealing.

I guess it really depends on what the trade value for KL, DD, etc really is. The war chest of picks that Philly has would probably tilt the scales in their favour but the return for KL and DD could serious reboot this franchise.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
              Honestly, I think trading for multiple top 10 picks is as much a pipe dream as signing a player like Butler, Kawhi, Gasol, Aldridge or KD etc.
              Absolutely....right now*

But if you build something worth being a part of first, you dramatically increase your chances.

Nothing in Toronto is worth being a part of right now if you're a 28+ year old UFA.

*restricted free agents are pretty much a pipe dream period.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                Honestly, I think trading for multiple top 10 picks is as much a pipe dream as signing a player like Butler, Kawhi, Gasol, Aldridge or KD etc.
                Not only that, I think it is a pipe dream to think having 4 draft picks which none are top 4 or even 5 probably, will give you two all star in 3 years !!!
                Simply unrealistic.

Comment

• I can see sacremento maybe giving up six for Lowry or a package including him or Miami for 10 but i think those other teams will like to add another young player.

Comment

• McRealistic wrote: View Post
                    Not only that, I think it is a pipe dream to think having 4 draft picks which none are top 4 or even 5 probably, will give you two all star in 3 years !!!
                    Simply unrealistic.
                    Why would it need to give us 2 allstar in 3 years to be worth it? Thought the goal was to win a title, not players in the allstar game.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• McRealistic wrote: View Post
                      If not 3 then how many years ? I can buy into a hard tank that will see us getting top 3-4 draft picks in at least 2-3 years. Those players have a chance to be a star. This type of tanking is 4-5 years minimum.
                      Haven't we been doing this for the last 20 years with nothing to show for it? Draft picks are a crap shoot. You just don't know.....

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                        Haven't we been doing this for the last 20 years with nothing to show for it? Draft picks are a crap shoot. You just don't know.....
                        If you know of a fool proof way to build a contender then there's a job for you in the NBA.

We once signed a top free agent, Hedo, how'd that work out?

We have acquired "allstar" caliber players via trade, how many worked out?

Nothing is guaranteed,so you play the odds and try to make the best moves.

Comment

That's because we're not a free agent destination. Nobody comes here. We can't build through free agency. You can't trade if you don't have valuable assets. You get those valuable assets and star players in a draft. Nobody promises that tank will get you a championship. It's only a first small step.
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• We have never actually tanked though, that's the thing. We tried to build around VC...followed by Bosh....followed by Barg...and then Gay. In our 20 year history the only time we tried to be bad was in our first 3 years, and even then we were bad cause we COULDN'T be good. Otherwise we've always tried to patch things and field a mediocre squad

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                              Why would it need to give us 2 allstar in 3 years to be worth it? Thought the goal was to win a title, not players in the allstar game.
                              By All Star I was talking about players like DD and Lowry. You have to be very good with your draft to get 2 out of 4 from 5-10 spot, that can match their talent in 3 years.

Comment

I agree. Some people here make it sound like tanking and rebuilding is a proven and easy way of going forward. You just have to trade DD and Lowry and everything will be ok.

Comment

Working...
                                X