No announcement yet.

There has never been a better time to rebuild than right now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DD and Lowry are great players, but this is why I think a rebuild is necessary, this article is slightly old but nevertheless, it proves a point.

92% of NBA Champions had a recent All-NBA 1st Team Selection
    Of the past 49 NBA Champions, 45 had a player named All-NBA 1st team during the 4 years preceding the championship season. In other words, an NBA championship roster should include a Top 5 caliber player operating at the top of his game.

Only 4 NBA champions failed to have a player named All-NBA 1st team during the 4 years preceding the championship season. Two of these teams, the 1976-77 Portland Trailblazer and the 1978-79 Seattle Supersonics had players—Bill Walton and Dennis Johnson, respectively—who were named All-NBA 1st Team in subsequent seasons. The other two teams, the 2003-04 Detroit Pistons and 1969-70 New York Knicks, had Top 10 caliber players who were named All-NBA 2nd Team the prior season.

The MVP is usually awarded to a player named to the All NBA 1st Team, and provides an advantage over other All NBA selections. Over 65% of all NBA Champions had a player named the league’s MVP in one of the four seasons prior to winning the NBA title (over 75% if you look beyond four years).

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      Why?
      LBJ. Unless one sees a path to actually beat this guy in the playoffs, then that is as good a reason as any to rebuild. This guy is going to dominate the conference for 4-5 years more IMO. He is just peaking I think, and may even get better, and as he is starting to tail off a little, Irving will be peaking. I'm not sure there is a way to beat this guy for any team in the East in the near future. Maybe if an East team can land Durant, then they may have a chance. A combo of Wall, Beal and Durant could probably do it. As for the Raps, unless they add a top 5 player, I just don't see them having a chance at the ECF in the foreseeable future.

If they traded Demar and Lowry now, hit the lottery and maybe get some good talent for 2-3 years, then there may be a foundation to build upon as LBJ declines. And hey, maybe we land Wiggins in there somewhere and go on to dominate the conference in the same way that LBJ teams have done for the last 8-10 seasons.

For the most part, I am anti-tank as principle, but it is the way most teams in the league have to rebuild. Alot of good reasons to do so posted in this thread, and I'd be fine if we go that route, although I am pretty confidant we will not.

Comment

• IwishIwasZachLowe wrote: View Post
        My fault, I always check this website. Thanks for the information.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm
        As a note, never ever use Hoopshype for salary stuff. Anything from Shamsports is definitely accurate, except for the infrequent updates. Between updates, basketball insiders are good, though they do get stuff wrong fairly often. Basketball reference is OK.

Hoopshype is consistently wrong, though.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• brothersteve wrote: View Post
          short answer - yes the Raptors are favored to win their Division next year & yes, losing sucks, winning is better
          Weakest division in the NBA. False sense of security.

Keep trumpeting those Atlantic Division Banners.lol We've seen this movie before and with a more talented team than this one.

Comment

• If it were the Raptors would you be questioning their ability to keep their talent?

You wouldn't.

Comment

Winning what?

49 regular season games?

Big whoop.

How about winning a SINGLE playoff game?

This team played under .500 over the last 60% of the season and then got swept.
              Agreed.....yet you still hear the homers bragging about winning the weakest division in the NBA.

No matter that they got swept out of the playoffs, "there's much to build on here, or It's better to win than lose".

What does winning a division matter if you can't even get out of the 1st round?

Talent is king in the NBA and Raptors foundation is built upon 'decent' players inherited by the current GM.

Comment

• I leave this here to simply add to the conversation of DeRozan as a trade option for the Knicks...

Well that about sums it up. As I wrote in my Mock Draft 6.0 on Tuesday, the Knicks are looking hard at both WCS and Winslow at 4. WCS has, especially, drawn support in the front office of late and might be the choice if Okafor, Towns and Russell are all off the board. And trade has and will likely be the first option if they can land a young All-Star caliber vet with the pick here. Phil Jackson won't rebuild if he doesn't have to.
                The above was from Chad Ford's latest draft chat.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/51819/
                http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
                  I leave this here to simply add to the conversation of DeRozan as a trade option for the Knicks...

Well that about sums it up. As I wrote in my Mock Draft 6.0 on Tuesday, the Knicks are looking hard at both WCS and Winslow at 4. WCS has, especially, drawn support in the front office of late and might be the choice if Okafor, Towns and Russell are all off the board. And trade has and will likely be the first option if they can land a young All-Star caliber vet with the pick here. Phil Jackson won't rebuild if he doesn't have to.

DeRozan is a young all star caliber vet. Phil is desperate. Masai has worked his magic on the Knicks before. My fingers are crossed so damn hard for this to happen.

Comment

• sleepz wrote: View Post
                    Agreed.....yet you still hear the homers bragging about winning the weakest division in the NBA.

No matter that they got swept out of the playoffs, "there's much to build on here, or It's better to win than lose".

What does winning a division matter if you can't even get out of the 1st round?

Talent is king in the NBA and Raptors foundation is built upon 'decent' players inherited by the current GM.
                    Funny thing is, the Raps didn't even have the best record against the Atlantic division. We were 11-5 against the Atlantic and the Celtics were 12-4. And the Celts didn't have the benefit of playing the "best" team in the Atlantic (i.e. the Raptors), while they also shipped out their 2 best players, Rondo and Green, mid-season.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                      Funny thing is, the Raps didn't even have the best record against the Atlantic division. We were 11-5 against the Atlantic and the Celtics were 12-4. And the Celts didn't have the benefit of playing the "best" team in the Atlantic (i.e. the Raptors), while they also shipped out their 2 best players, Rondo and Green, mid-season.
                      That is so depressing.

I wasn't even aware.

Man.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                        It was pretty clear the Raptors had stopped playing with any urgency to close out the season. It's what happens when you realize you're basically gifted the division by default. I wanted them to go 16-0 in division and pretty sure for more than half of the 16 games they went undefeated.
                        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Ramona Shelburne: Adam Silver says he thinks NBA is far closer to changing higher seeding for division winners, rather than a 1-16 seed playoff format Twitter @ramonashelburne

Adam Silver, Playoffs
                          - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.wR5yjFxa.dpuf

Suddenly the prospect of winning the Atlantic offers very little benefit.

Comment

Suddenly the prospect of winning the Atlantic offers very little benefit.
                            Good, they should do this. Divisions are pointless in today's NBA. I still like the idea of conferences, and conferences make a ton of sense for TV reasons, e.g. ratings for the finals would suffer massively if it was 2 California teams in the finals. Giving a 4 seed to a division winner is stupid though. The NFL might make a similar move soon after the NFC South was so terrible this past year.

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
                              I leave this here to simply add to the conversation of DeRozan as a trade option for the Knicks...

To add to that, from the same chat where Ford discusses the Lakers pick:

Perhaps. I think Towns is No. 1 on their board. After that, I think they're still figuring this out. Okafor, Russell and Mudiay are all fits. Porzingis is worthy of the pick. And while the Lakers have publicly said their keeping the pick, there's a growing feeling around the league that if they can land a young veteran for the pick, it's available. The Lakers aren't keen on rebuilding if they don't have to. But it would have to take an All-Star caliber young player to make the deal.
                              DeMar to LA for the pick - if LA is willing to do that - works just as well as DeMar to the Knicks for the pick. DeMar gets to play with his idol and become the heir apparent in LA.

My god, Towns on the Raptors alongside JV? Good lord.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                                To add to that, from the same chat where Ford discusses the Lakers pick:

DeMar to LA for the pick - if LA is willing to do that - works just as well as DeMar to the Knicks for the pick. DeMar gets to play with his idol and become the heir apparent in LA.

My god, Towns on the Raptors alongside JV? Good lord.
                                This would be great, fantastic, you have your future 4 and 5 for a long time hopefully. I dont know, is it unrealistic a little bit, maybe but this draft I feel is going to have some big trades in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X