No announcement yet.

New Assistant Coach rumours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We lost on the Monty Williams bid too I suppose.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13...ssistant-coach

so now what??!!

Comment

Lol everybody sees how bad we are and are like:

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

Actually everyone sees what happens to assistants of Dwane Casey, anything goes wrong and your fired and Casey keeps living
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Why would good assistant coaches want to come here when they seen the mess that is going down in Toronto:

1)Your CEO steps down in a mysterious ways a year after getting hired.
          2)Your team underachieved in the playoffs and are looking to take a step back next season.
          3)The coach is a stubborn guy that failed to show any creativity during the playoffs to win games and may not have heed the advice given to him by his assistant coaches.
          4) The GM fires the assistant coaches even though normally the coach gets canned (along with the assistants) and the new coach gets to pick his assistants, instead of the GM. It is also unclear as of yet what direction Masai will be going.
          5) You got Thibs out there and the Raptors do not attempt to go after him even though he is a winning coach and is considered a top 5 in the NBA.

Seems to me assistant coaches are wary of Toronto for a good reason, they are going where they think they can win and look good.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
            Why would good assistant coaches want to come here when they seen the mess that is going down in Toronto:

2)Your team underachieved in the playoffs and are looking to take a step back next season.
            3)The coach is a stubborn guy that failed to show any creativity during the playoffs to win games and may not have heed the advice given to him by his assistant coaches.
            4) The GM fires the assistant coaches even though normally the coach gets canned (along with the assistants) and the new coach gets to pick his assistants, instead of the GM. It is also unclear as of yet what direction Masai will be going.
            5) You got Thibs out there and the Raptors do not attempt to go after him even though he is a winning coach and is considered a top 5 in the NBA.

Seems to me assistant coaches are wary of Toronto for a good reason, they are going where they think they can win and look good.
            No arguments here

Comment

Yep Toronto's the worst. That must be why Monty would want to coach in OKC and why OKC would hire someone KD greatly admires.
              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Sounds like a good case for #FireMasai

OH WAIT.. We got a D league team. Nvm, proceed.
                2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                  ...Or, we'll keep Casey, and be a terrible team forever...
                  I think the chances of this being true are only about 3/7, so buck up.

Comment

When you look at it all from the perspective of a potential assistant coach, you can very easily see why the Toronto job would be undesirable. Even moreso when this is the third set of assistant coaches this particular coach has had AND the last ones who left either apparently wanted out due to differences with the actual head coach or actually were just scapegoated for the head coach's actual ability.

Can't say I'd be in a rush to want to join the Toronto bench.
                    Last edited by Just Is; Wed Jun 3, 2015, 08:53 AM.
                    "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                    "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Why would the assistants want to come here when they know they will just be a scapegoat.

Comment

Or how bad the fans treat their players, in times of trouble.
                        The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                        Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                        www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                        http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

1) he didn't quit in that mysterious of a way. Listen to his talk at Ryerson when it all started.

2) interesting that you already know the direction of the team? What are the lottery numbers for Friday?

3) or he listen to the assistants. The assistants are supposed to develop the young players and failed in that regard and you don't know about any potentials riffs between the coaching staff. There's a lot of internal stuff that goes on that we're not privy to.

4) I agree it's strange how Masai has gone about this but that's not enough to keep an assistant from a team. There's only 30 teams.

5) the raptors didn't know what the status of thibs was and Masai decided immediately so the coaching question wasn't lingering.

6) it's not like the Monty Williams ran to a shit team. He went to Durant and Westbrook and a head coach that is new to the nba so Monty will be leaned upon heavily.
                          Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                          Because its 2015

Comment

We lost on the Monty Williams bid too I suppose.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13...ssistant-coach

so now what??!!
                            Raps fans should be happy about this actually.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                              1) he didn't quit in that mysterious of a way. Listen to his talk at Ryerson when it all started.

2) interesting that you already know the direction of the team? What are the lottery numbers for Friday?

3) or he listen to the assistants. The assistants are supposed to develop the young players and failed in that regard and you don't know about any potentials riffs between the coaching staff. There's a lot of internal stuff that goes on that we're not privy to.

4) I agree it's strange how Masai has gone about this but that's not enough to keep an assistant from a team. There's only 30 teams.

5) the raptors didn't know what the status of thibs was and Masai decided immediately so the coaching question wasn't lingering.

6) it's not like the Monty Williams ran to a shit team. He went to Durant and Westbrook and a head coach that is new to the nba so Monty will be leaned upon heavily.
                              1) When Tim got hired it was for 3-5 years. There were plenty of rumors behind the scenes of Tim not happy with the owners and the ownership group not happy with Tim. Sorry but the smell test does not pass, no matter how both Tim & the owners trying to save face. In Toronto where there is smoke, there is usually fire (see Richard Peddie) tenure.

2) I do not know the direction of the team but Masai already hinted in his season ending press conference, that the Raptors might have to take a step back next season. This isn't exactly music to the ears of highly sought assistants coaches who are eager to win now.

3) Yes we are not privy to the internal conflict, but if part of the assistants job is to develop players as you said, and these players do not get the minutes necessary to develop by the coach then how can it not seem as a conflict?! Why should the assistants take the brunt of the blame?! Their hands should have been tied together.

4) Yes there are only 30 teams but only a few get the top assistants and the top coaches. If you are satisfied with mediocrity then you might like that Casey is sticking around cause he is just " good enough".

5) Masai could have waited longer before deciding on Casey's fate.

6) I stil dont get your point. The fact that the Raptors are being constantly overlooked by the top available assistants in favor of other teams is the sticking point of the whole argument.

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post

3) Kinda hard to develop without playing time, you can only get so much better in the gym. We do know that Bayno wanted out, which sounds like a rift to me. He was under contract getting paid well as a top assistant, yet he wanted to leave. Sterner just got fired because somebody had to be fired.

4) There are only 30 teams, but the two guys we've heard about us going after were a guy who was already an assistant on one of those 30 teams, and a just fired head coach who had multiple offers. I'm guessing we'll end up hiring someone whose not currently an assistant in the NBA, because those are the only guys attracted by the "only 30 teams" argument. Unfortunately, that's the exact opposite of the kind of assistant we're rumored to be going after, i.e. an experienced assistant.

I'm pretty sure Thibs would have turned us down had we fired Casey, he's going to enjoy getting paid by Chicago while he waits for a prime opportunity, and lots of head coaches get fired every year.

Comment

Working...
                                X