Raps' Free Agent Mini-camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raps' Free Agent Mini-camp

http://www.nba.com/raptors/press-releases/freeagentcamp-061015]Details here.

A few notes:

Olu Ashalou wasn't anything special in college ball. He played well in the Japanese league, but it's the Japanese league. Courtesy invite.

Jordan Bachynski played respectably in the D-League but not super-amazingly (averaged 6.6 points, 2.2 blocks and 5.9 rebounds in 19 minutes per game over 18 games). He might be worth looking at as a backup rim protector/shot blocker but he probably tops out as a second coming of Aaron Gray and might not even be that. He'll likely have a long and good career playing international basketball, but his NBA opportunities are borderline.

Khem Birch missed averaging a double-double over 49 games in the D-League by .4 rebounds while only playing 26 minutes per game. Of the three Canadians the Raps are inviting with college ball experience he's easily the best and he could definitely become a solid rotation player.

Ryan Broekheff was a sort of playmaking wing in the Turkish league but nothing special. Fill-out-the-camp invite.

Aaron Craft is an athletic, pass-first PG who desperately needs to find a jumper to make the NBA. He doesn't have one.

Drew Crawford is a respectable shooting wing and a decent rebounder given his size. Certainly could fill out the end of an NBA bench, if nothing else.

DeAndre Daniels is basically Drew Crawford except better and with longer wingspan.

Michael Eric played in the Greek and Italian leagues and I'm not sure why he was even brought out to this camp, looking at his stats.

Joe Jackson, "the other Joe Jackson," showed himself to be a capable scorer in the D-League and has a respectable shooting stroke. Potential third point guard.

Mike James, "the third or fourth Mike James," played in Euroleague and was a decent scorer there. Lesser version of other Joe Jackson since he achieved basically the same level of play against slightly weaker competition.

Tony Mitchell is an inefficient chucking guard who doesn't do much else except score a lot.

Toure' Murray is on his way out of the NBA and this is basically his last stop.

Ronald Roberts is an in-the-paint power forward. No perimeter game worth mentioning, but efficient in the paint and an extremely strong rebounder. Played very well in the D-League; strong potential to become a rotation guy in the NBA.

LaQuinton Ross: okay scoring wing. Not a lot of floor sense. Probably not good enough as a scorer to justify a bench spot on an NBA team in the long term. He's the sort of guy who gets a 10-day to prove himself and maybe makes the jump but not likely.

The Scrubb brothers: Basically this is their chance to show off if they can hang with, at minimum, borderline NBA prospects. They get a lot of hype because they've utterly dominated with the Carleton Ravens, but nobody really knows how that compares to true NBA-level competition or even D-League competition. So this is their shot. My guess is that Phil's game will translate better than Thomas'.

Roscoe Smith: Good rebounder and can score, but doesn't have the efficiency you want in a power forward - he's trying to become a stretch four in the D-League and it hasn't clicked for him yet. But he's smart enough to know what he needs to become.

Gary Talton: See Other Joe Jackson.

Tyrus Thomas: Yes, it's THAT Tyrus Thomas. Played poorly in the D-League last year. Potential resurrection longshot project, I guess, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Jeremy Tyler: I have no idea.

Mitchell Watt: Khem Birch, but not as good.

Basically, the ones to keep an eye on here are the Scrubbs, Birch, Roberts, Daniels and maybe Jackson. And may I just say that I'm not sure why Melvin Ejim didn't get an invite? He's been playing quite decently over in the Euroleague.

i remember wanting the raps to draft Khem with a second round pick but MU never takes my calls

he has pretty decent defensive potential. basically a better psycho t.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Are we sure which Tony Mitchell it is?

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        Yup, nevermind. Damn, was hoping it would be the forward.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          There are two or three of them and they're all inefficient chucking guards, so I'll take my chances.

Comment

oh it's not the big? i was wondering why it said 6'6.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Still like Aaron Craft as a defender off the bench (3rd PG). Good to mix up pressures and tempo at the point, and he's one of the few players available that can guard a man from baseline to baseline.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                Still like Aaron Craft as a defender off the bench (3rd PG). Good to mix up pressures and tempo at the point, and he's one of the few players available that can guard a man from baseline to baseline.
                yeah i'm with this too

if nothing else he'd make practices interesting
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Mike Eric sounds familiar to me..... I don't know why. Did he play at Temple?
                  Axel wrote:
                  Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Cody73 wrote: View Post
                    Mike Eric sounds familiar to me..... I don't know why. Did he play at Temple?
                    Yeah, that's him.

Comment

Very happy about Khem Birch being invited. Could see him being a solid potential addition to the team next year, depending upon the direction of the roster.

At minimum he would be an amazing addition for the D-League team to see if he could develop towards a call-up at a later date.
                      http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                        Yeah, that's him.
                        WOO. I loved his D in college. You guys are gonna be surprised.
                        Axel wrote:
                        Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                        KeonClark wrote:
                        We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                        KeonClark wrote:
                        I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Khem Birch should join our D-League team at least and is the only one of the invites that has a shot at the NBA, don't see anyone else making it past the D-league level

Comment

Are they inviting all these player to fill the D League team I wonder?

Comment

Katman wrote: View Post
                              Are they inviting all these player to fill the D League team I wonder?
                              That's what I'm hoping.

Really hoping that Daniels impresses.
                              "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                              "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Working...
                              X