Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Doug Smith Thinks a Roster Blowup is Likely

  1. #1
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,664
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Doug Smith Thinks a Roster Blowup is Likely

    Bye, Rasho.

    See ya, Patrick.

    I can say with pretty much certainty that those are two fellows Ė both good guys whoíll be missed in the whole Ďhey, whatís happeningí conversational vein Ė who will have walked off the Air Canada Centre court last night for the last time as Raptors but it begs the question, who else is gone?

    Of course, Chris Bosh is the big question and we all know thereíll be more than enough speculation about him for the next little while that itís not worth getting into it today.

    But how about a couple of others? As I watched Antoine Wright walk to the elevator on crutches after it was all over, I figure that might the last time I see him around the Raptors locker room because heís a free agent and Iím not sure thereís room for him, as Iíve mentioned a few times before.

    But what about Turk? Or one of the point guards? Or Reggie Evans?

    Think theyíll all be back?

    If I had to guess, and thatís all it is right now, I would think Bryan would want to give Turk another year to redeem himself but I do think heíll move one of his point guards and I am pretty certain heíll try hard to move Reggie sometime this summer.

    So thatíd make another five guys at least gone from the roster and if Bosh goes, thatíll make six. And letís say they canít find a contract number that suits Amir Johnson, also a free agent, and that promising young big moves, too.

    Thatís seven guys gone, almost half the roster, and here we go again with the blowing up.
    Doug Smith's Toronto Raptors blog

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter cornbreadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Of course Turk will be back, I think Bryan will know that no other team would think about taking Turk off our hands now

  3. #3
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    3,960
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Although a blow-up is likely in the books, no wonder this team goes nowhere season to season. We have no cohesiveness and when you change your roster a considerable amount every year you don't allow yourself a team that can mesh together as one. While I agree and that changes need to be made, its time for BC to earn his pay, smarten up and make changes where guys can grow together moving forward instead introducing 6 to 7 new players every bloody season.

  4. #4
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,664
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The last off-season changes were a bid to keep Bosh. This years changes will be part of a rebuild. I think things will slow down a little after this summer. The summer after they won the division Colangelo had little activity. I think it was because he didn't want to tamper with something that was working and he had no real pressures on him like he does now.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    884
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Radical offseason changes will continue as long as Bargnani is considered a foundation block.

    His lack of impact will forever cause this team to under-perform relative to management's expectations = need for change

  6. #6
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,664
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Why is that? Why can't he be a supporting #2 option like Rashard Lewis? He already posts better numbers than Rashard at half the cost. You place him with a traditional center who can clean the boards and suddenly his perceived impact might greatly increase. Bargnani is a building block, not the cornerstone.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    884
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Why is that? Why can't he be a supporting #2 option like Rashard Lewis? He already posts better numbers than Rashard at half the cost. You place him with a traditional center who can clean the boards and suddenly his perceived impact might greatly increase. Bargnani is a building block, not the cornerstone.
    (1) The main difference between Lewis and Bargnani is their defensive play. Lewis is an above average defensive power forward who plays good-to-very good man-to-man defense and very good team defense whereas Bargnani is a below average man-to-man defender and a very poor team defender. Consequently, Bargnani's positive offensive contributions become negated by his lousy defense while Lewis adds positive defensive contributions on top of his positive offensive contributions.

    (2) Lewis is a poor example because he has a horrific contract and the only reason Orlando is able to be successful with him is their ownership's willingness to pay ridiculous luxury tax costs to bail out their GM's mistakes + the individual brilliance of one Dwight Howard.

    Making decisions based on Lewis' situation without having those two variables in place will lead to disaster.

    (3) Lewis is the third or fourth option offensively for the Magic. Bargnani would be a very effective offensive player if in a similar role, pecking order, offensively ... but is, to date, incapable of being a #2 option because of his reliance on others to create his scoring opportunities. Not a go-to scorer. A complementary + highly effective weapon offensively.
    Last edited by Dave; Thu Apr 15th, 2010 at 12:12 PM.

  8. #8
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,664
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Did you watch the game last night? Andrea was driving to the hoops like he owned the court. I think he can create on his own. He just needs to become more aggressive. I also think he has all the tools to be an excellent defender. He just needs the right teacher and to hold himself accountable on that end. I think he's an excellent piece to a core group if he's used properly.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    884
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Did you watch the game last night? Andrea was driving to the hoops like he owned the court. I think he can create on his own. He just needs to become more aggressive. I also think he has all the tools to be an excellent defender. He just needs the right teacher and to hold himself accountable on that end. I think he's an excellent piece to a core group if he's used properly.
    If one feels that Bargnani has that type of potential then the Raptors should keep him.

    I, however, have no confidence in Bargnani's potential.
    Last edited by Dave; Thu Apr 15th, 2010 at 12:40 PM.

  10. #10
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,664
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He's improved every year in the league. I have no confidence in his consistency right now but I appreciate what he can do when he puts it together.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    884
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    He's improved every year in the league. I have no confidence in his consistency right now but I appreciate what he can do when he puts it together.
    I don't think Bargnani has shown much improvement over his first four seasons. Some, yes, but not a lot. Especially not over a four year period.

    I believe most of Bargnani's perceived development is down to playing time. He has simply been given more minutes than he was in the past ... with no regard to his limitations/flaws.

    I do not think Bargnani's past improvements are a positive indicator of future development. I think it's the opposite. I view it as damning evidence.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bargs major problem is that he can't put a full season together. Everyone forgets the first half the year when he was killing opponents inside and out. When his three is dropping he is as dangerous a weapon as there is.

    Everyone keeps trying to turn him into something he is not. Why can't we just accept that he is a streaky shooter/scorer who can at times be tantalizing and others infuriating. He needs to improve his focus and effort level. He will never be a great rebounder so lets stop trying to force him to be. I think his biggest obstacle is that coaches keep trying to force him into a mold instead of just constantly tweaking what they've got.

    I also understand I am extremely biased towards Bargs and will defend him until he abandons me in the fox hole.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    884
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I can live with Bargnani's rebounding so long as (1) His defense gets to the good-to-very good level at the very least (2) He grows more as a go-to scorer and becomes more difficult to take out of games

    It's too difficult for a big man to have a consistent positive influence on his team when he is so poor on the backboards + well below average defensively. Too many negative contributions. They wipe out too many of the positives that Bargnani does bring to the table offensively.

  14. #14
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,664
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm not so sure he's below average on defense. I would call him average. If he had some more dependable teammates he may look a lot better.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Dave wrote: View Post
    (1) The main difference between Lewis and Bargnani is their defensive play. Lewis is an above average defensive power forward who plays good-to-very good man-to-man defense and very good team defense whereas Bargnani is a below average man-to-man defender and a very poor team defender. Consequently, Bargnani's positive offensive contributions become negated by his lousy defense while Lewis adds positive defensive contributions on top of his positive offensive contributions.

    (2) Lewis is a poor example because he has a horrific contract and the only reason Orlando is able to be successful with him is their ownership's willingness to pay ridiculous luxury tax costs to bail out their GM's mistakes + the individual brilliance of one Dwight Howard.

    Making decisions based on Lewis' situation without having those two variables in place will lead to disaster.

    (3) Lewis is the third or fourth option offensively for the Magic. Bargnani would be a very effective offensive player if in a similar role, pecking order, offensively ... but is, to date, incapable of being a #2 option because of his reliance on others to create his scoring opportunities. Not a go-to scorer. A complementary + highly effective weapon offensively.

    sorry, but bargnani is a good player and you're wrong on this.

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Did you watch the game last night? Andrea was driving to the hoops like he owned the court. I think he can create on his own. He just needs to become more aggressive. I also think he has all the tools to be an excellent defender. He just needs the right teacher and to hold himself accountable on that end. I think he's an excellent piece to a core group if he's used properly.
    where as you, you are right. i see his aggresiveness come out sometimes and i think once someone triggers him somehow he'll be really good.

  16. #16
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,664
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yes. Bargnani has never even played for a good coach in his pro career.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If Bargs was playing PF next to Dwight, pretty sure he'd be considered an elite defender as well. Turk went from the top defensive squad on the magic to one of the worst in history, that tells me that Turk was being hidden in Orland and exposed in Toronto. Bargs defense is a product of the system he's in.

    Give him an improved Derozan and Weems who can actually keep thier man in front of them and fast rotations and have Amir swooping to help the weak side and Bargs will be just fine.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    557
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bargs defense is a product of the system he's in.

    Give him an improved Derozan and Weems who can actually keep thier man in front of them and fast rotations and have Amir swooping to help the weak side and Bargs will be just fine.
    Amir is not an ideal floormate for Bargnani. His weakside defence is no better or worse than Bosh.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bosh has no weakside help, he doesn't have a quick enough first jump to alter shots or a high enough defensive IQ to anticipate the play. Amir is constantly rotating over and exploding at defenders. The dude was not born to keep his feet on the ground.

    Perfect example is the GS game. GS had the breakaway with 10 seconds left and Bosh ran at Chris Hunter who passed off to an open Curry who had an easy dunk when Amir swooped in and seemingly got all ball, but got whistled because he has no court cred yet.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    djezus dave bargnani is raptors best 1 on 1 defender ...
    what ruins his defense is him constantly having to switch and pick up the pg or wing because everything passes our perimeter defenders
    calderon jack derozan weems hedo beli get constantly beat off the dribble leaving our bigs constantly running behind
    against the bulls bargnani had to defend rose more then he had to defend any big
    the constant penetration is the biggest problem for the raptors
    he's guarding rose , calderon gets outrebounded by noah huge shocker
    all our bigs constantly run behind the facts
    if it is bosh, amir or reggie the points keep pilling on for the other teams

    bargs rebounding is the huge whole in his game ,the rest is the result of a team with no concept of defense
    Last edited by MaGIX; Fri Apr 16th, 2010 at 04:05 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •