Casey on board w/ small ball philosophy of NBA Final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DanH wrote: View Post
    Just want to say, big round of applause to everyone in this thread. Some brilliant posts, and no vitriol, which is rare for a JV or DD themed thread. I liked a couple posts, but could do so for a dozen more.

Kudos, all.
    Lol I think it's because this board is basically united as one against Casey

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
      Just want to say, big round of applause to everyone in this thread. Some brilliant posts, and no vitriol, which is rare for a JV or DD themed thread. I liked a couple posts, but could do so for a dozen more.

Kudos, all.
      Speak for yourself Dan.

We make mistakes. That's why they put erasers on pencils.

Comment

Lebron has been able to dominate in this series because of speed and bulk. Mozgov has been unstoppable inside when he has played, he scored 28 pts in game 4 , Lebron did not score in the 4th , not much from the rest of Cavs.
        So yes small could work at times , but when you have a big man that scores at will inside you use him.
        Take away Mozgov and TT. replace them by Kyrie and Love and Cleveland still loses this series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

The reason why teams go small ultimately is because the three point shot has become an even bigger weapon then it ever has. Can't remember the stat now, but the number of 3's attempted has really gone up since only 3-4 years ago.

A dominant big man can get easy buckets but if the opposing team has a stretch 4 or 5 that can nail a 3 pointer.. then the advantage is 3-2 for the opposing team. A shot in the paint has better accuracy but if a big guy is bad at shooting free throws then that advantage can be erased. Also with players that are quick and have length they can try to deflect balls to go into the paint.. making it harder for the big man to get the ball (Miami was really good at that the last couple of years).

I don't think you can go small all game.. and even guys like Mozgov and Bogut got a lot of minutes in the playoffs. But I do believe that a team needs a big guy that can stretch the floor.. and that it needs a roster that can play small for certain parts of the game. I just think that Casey relied on it way too much.

Comment

Dwane Casey wrote: View Post
            Speak for yourself Dan.

Lol

Comment

McRealistic wrote: View Post
              JV is going to have a very tough year ahead of him and I feel like MU knows that and he is on board with what Casey is saying ...

I might be wrong but I think if there is a good deal out there, JV might be the one that will be moved and not DD.
              JV will be just fine. Remember he wasn't that robotic until dumbass Casey made him gain a ton of weight so he could protect the paint and "bang" with other bigs.

Comment

So, Cav's went big yesterday and were on their heels most of the night. No floor spacing, difficult shots, making two points in the paint while GSW was hitting open 3's.

Gotta say, GSW have a unique team that a lot of fun to watch.

Comment

distorsun wrote: View Post
                  JV will be just fine. Remember he wasn't that robotic until dumbass Casey made him gain a ton of weight so he could protect the paint and "bang" with other bigs.
                  I think JV is going to be shopped, probably for a high lottery pick.
                  Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                  Because its 2015

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                    So, Cav's went big yesterday and were on their heels most of the night. No floor spacing, difficult shots, making two points in the paint while GSW was hitting open 3's.

Oh come on. Big or small was irrelevant, because Lebron was playing with a borderline d league team and he was totally gassed.
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I wonder how the Cavs would have looked if they still had Wiggins on board.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post

Sounds like the Raps if you swap "in the paint" for "midrange".

To follow a similar vein of thought, as the league uses more "shooting friendly" line-ups, our scramble defence becomes more and more antiquated and, frankly, more of a liability.

Scramble defence strains the defence by pulling players too far, too often. The margin of error to successfully run the scramble defence is incredibly low, making even the smallest mis-step a huge opportunity for the opponent's offence. As evidenced by the poor DRtg, and utter dismantling in the playoffs, teams are taking advantage of our defence to find wide open shots either in the paint or from deep. This will only be worse as more teams adopt the current trend of small ball lineups.

We already have seen that Casey won't adapt to his players, so does anyone have faith that he'll adapt with the times? I really believe that we will be a bottom 10 defence again this year, regardless of what roster improvements we have.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                          I wonder how the Cavs would have looked if they still had Wiggins on board.
                          Cavs really struggled with playmaking and shooting. At this stage of Wiggins' career I don't know if he wold have been able to help with either.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                            Sounds like the Raps if you swap "in the paint" for "midrange".

To follow a similar vein of thought, as the league uses more "shooting friendly" line-ups, our scramble defence becomes more and more antiquated and, frankly, more of a liability.

Scramble defence strains the defence by pulling players too far, too often. The margin of error to successfully run the scramble defence is incredibly low, making even the smallest mis-step a huge opportunity for the opponent's offence. As evidenced by the poor DRtg, and utter dismantling in the playoffs, teams are taking advantage of our defence to find wide open shots either in the paint or from deep. This will only be worse as more teams adopt the current trend of small ball lineups.

We already have seen that Casey won't adapt to his players, so does anyone have faith that he'll adapt with the times? I really believe that we will be a bottom 10 defence again this year, regardless of what roster improvements we have.
                            I agree about scramble defense putting a lot of strain on the team, but it's the same league wide amongst the best defensive teams. GSW, San Antonio, Chicago all use scrambe defense, but they are much more focused and disciplined. It's almost a necessity in order to defend agains small ball line up's?

As for Casey, we know he has his faults, but the more time that passes, the more evidence comes out that his methods are in line with current NBA stategies. Whether he is successful implementing those stategies is another question, but you could also argue that it's a personnel issue. Like for example, small ball only works if you are hitting those open shots and we really don't have great shooters on this team and this year GV, and Ross seemed to regress in those area. Not sure about PP, but seemed like he lost his shooting touch after a hot start, and DD, well he's never been a great shooter. So the question becomes do you change your strategy to match with players or do you set up the system for where the NBA is heading and turst your GM to bring in the right personnel. If this is the case then major shake up's are coming this summer.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                              http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...o%2FAQAIoTjcgj

“I would love to be stubborn and just try to have (Valanciunas) guard a smaller, quicker centre when a team goes small, but it’s difficult to do now in this stage of his career. Maybe someday he’ll get there, but he’s not there yet,” Casey said. “The day of the centres has gone by.”

This!

The game has changed people. The NBA has become a guards league and i feel like this is just the beginning. This Warriors/Cavs series will take the "small ball" philosophy to ANOTHER LEVEL. I think this series will change the NBA forever. I mean, these are the 2 best teams in the NBA right now. I think we'll see more small ball teams teams in the future.
                              It's more like.... "The day of Casey has gone by."

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                                It's more like.... "The day of Casey has gone by."
                                Unfortunately, not according to Masai ...

Comment

Working...
                                X