Casey on board w/ small ball philosophy of NBA Final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    I agree about scramble defense putting a lot of strain on the team, but it's the same league wide amongst the best defensive teams. GSW, San Antonio, Chicago all use scrambe defense, but they are much more focused and disciplined. It's almost a necessity in order to defend agains small ball line up's?

As for Casey, we know he has his faults, but the more time that passes, the more evidence comes out that his methods are in line with current NBA stategies. Whether he is successful implementing those stategies is another question, but you could also argue that it's a personnel issue. Like for example, small ball only works if you are hitting those open shots and we really don't have great shooters on this team and this year GV, and Ross seemed to regress in those area. Not sure about PP, but seemed like he lost his shooting touch after a hot start, and DD, well he's never been a great shooter. So the question becomes do you change your strategy to match with players or do you set up the system for where the NBA is heading and turst your GM to bring in the right personnel. If this is the case then major shake up's are coming this summer.
    Yeah...that's where you immediately lost me. Cause it's just not true. If anything, there's further and further evidence of the opposite.
    "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
    "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

I don't know if Casey saw, but Mozgov was pretty effective in the Finals.
      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

See, the major issue I have with "The day of the centres has gone by" is that it is a completely rigid and dogmatic statement.

I would argue that what makes Kerr and Popovich so effective in the playoffs is their ability to be flexible and adjust, not to make hard-line pronouncements and stubbornly stick with them. Iguodala doesn't start one game all regular season but then starts the last three of the Finals. In 2013-14 Bonner started two games during San Antonio's title run.

It's like when Casey saw that Melo and Lebron were spending time at the 4 and decided that the league was moving towards SFs playing the 4. Cue the Big Rudy Disaster.

You can't take the talent you have and try to make it conform to the prevailing trend of the day. You have to set the trend by being creative with the talent you have.

Comment

In all fairness, we tend to read a lot more into what Casey says that what I'm sure he would ever fathom by his comments. I don't see him taking a rigid stance on anything...just making a general comment, but yet we on a forum put those words in his mouth and everyone goes on like it came directly from the goose.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
            In all fairness, we tend to read a lot more into what Casey says that what I'm sure he would ever fathom by his comments. I don't see him taking a rigid stance on anything...just making a general comment, but yet we on a forum put those words in his mouth and everyone goes on like it came directly from the goose.
            Have you watched us play? Everything about the way he manages our team screams rigidity.

Comment

the day of the centre has gone by is only true until a centre comes in the league that forces you to adjust.
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I wish instead of worrying about matchups we were forcing the matchups....Milwaukee is going to be an absolute holy terror in the next few years because they got guys that force problems on other teams all over the court.
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  Have you watched us play? Everything about the way he manages our team screams rigidity.
                  He had that one ridiculous quote about how the Dallas championship team didn't make any major lineup adjustments in the playoffs...this was after they'd switched Barea into the starting lineup midway through the finals...
                  "Stop eating your sushi."
                  "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                  "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                    See, the major issue I have with "The day of the centres has gone by" is that it is a completely rigid and dogmatic statement.

I would argue that what makes Kerr and Popovich so effective in the playoffs is their ability to be flexible and adjust, not to make hard-line pronouncements and stubbornly stick with them. Iguodala doesn't start one game all regular season but then starts the last three of the Finals. In 2013-14 Bonner started two games during San Antonio's title run.

It's like when Casey saw that Melo and Lebron were spending time at the 4 and decided that the league was moving towards SFs playing the 4. Cue the Big Rudy Disaster.

You can't take the talent you have and try to make it conform to the prevailing trend of the day. You have to set the trend by being creative with the talent you have.
                    Love the last line. I've always felt like trying to follow a trend is the best way to keep spinning your wheels and have no real chance to move up. The main reason because trendsetters are doing exactly what you say by being flexible in their approach in order to maximize talent and try to find a unique advantage.

The second you try to follow a trend, you're trying to do something better than a team that decided they're uniquely suited to win with that approach.

In the current discussion/example, how easy would it be to copy GSW? You'd need that crazy shooter like Curry who can get off shots from anywhere. A guy who can take the worst shots in the game and hit them to make up for the lack of a top tier post player/penetrator in order to keep the D honest. And you'd need 5 versatile wings with good enough size and two-way ability who basically have starter talent, including one who's a great post and perimeter defender. The Raptors, as currently built, have exactly ZERO of those things. JJ and DD are the closest, but JJ's offence is way limited, and DD's defence isn't as good as any of the 5 guys GSW rolls out. Most teams are lucky to have one or two versatile two-way wings who could start. And no team in the league has a primary scorer who's such an elite perimeter shooter that they can get by without a real threat to score inside.

Comment

Big Val has a very long summer ahead of him. He needs to come back strong and improve his game significantly Or he can just call his agent and ask for trade because with the way it looks, he will not get much playing time this season ...

Comment

Did anyone watch the game last night? Mozgov single handedly kept the Cavs in the game with his defense, eating up that small ball lineup like he walked into some random YMCA.

32 minutes, 17 pts (5-8 FG, 7-8 FT), 12 reb, 2 ast, 4 blks

You know who else had a good game, their other big man Tristan Thompson.

Small ball is extremely hard to pull off unless you have a freak like Draymond Green, that's why so few teams do it. Also, as many have already mentioned, GSW played big during a lot of the playoffs, and you know, foreign concept here, adjusted to what was happening on the court and played small only when it worked to their advantage.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                          Did anyone watch the game last night? Mozgov single handedly kept the Cavs in the game with his defense, eating up that small ball lineup like he walked into some random YMCA.

Small ball is extremely hard to pull off unless you have a freak like Draymond Green, that's why so few teams do it. Also, as many have already mentioned, GSW played big during a lot of the playoffs, and you know, foreign concept here, adjusted to what was happening on the court and played small only when it worked to their advantage.
                          And the Cavs starting backcourt managed only 9 pts collectively (!), on 1-9 shooting. Basically, the Cavs 'smalls' got trounced by superior GSW talent (i.e. Steph Curry) and that was the difference in the game.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                            And the Cavs starting backcourt managed only 9 pts collectively (!), on 1-9 shooting. Basically, the Cavs 'smalls' got trounced by superior GSW talent (i.e. Steph Curry) and that was the difference in the game.
                            Plus the Cavs bigs aren't exactly top tier scorers, so why play an All-NBA defensive big on non-scorers instead of an All-NBA perimeter defender to match against LeBron.
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post

Vasquez playing SF is the key to winning. It's so obvioud

Comment

McRealistic wrote: View Post
                                JV is going to have a very tough year ahead of him and I feel like MU knows that and he is on board with what Casey is saying ...

I might be wrong but I think if there is a good deal out there, JV might be the one that will be moved and not DD.
                                Was it the Zen Master who said small ball couldn't win? Anything left on the Knicks worth trading for?

Comment

Working...
                                X