No announcement yet.

Would Rudy Gay have been a better fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Rudy Gay have been a better fit?

I know it was more easy to trade rudy because he had an outrageous contract and a player option the following year for 19m. His age was probably a factor too. But hey, he signed a contract extension that pays him 13m just recently. Assuming we made the same trade but wtihout gay, it was derozan, would this team be better? A starting lineup that consists of

Kyle Lowry
    Terrence Ross
    Rudy Gay
    Amir Johnson
    Jonas Valanciunas

allows everyone to play their natural position. and I do think Gay who is still ball dominant, is much more efficient than DeRozan. He can also guard the Pierces, Lebrons, Durants because of his size 6'8. nice physical frame. Has the ability to show up in clutch situations. Looking at how he plays now, he plays much differently and i believe it was just casey's system that forced him to be the main guy and chuck up all the shots. With a different coach with this roster, i think rudy gay would be a nice fit on this team as long as we have a low post threat pf to replace johnson (like a cousins or randolph or marc gasol) to open up driving lanes for him
    Last edited by QuadrupleDouble; Tue Jun 16, 2015, 06:02 PM.

If Rudy Gay had put up numbers close to what he has done in Sacramento, at the beginning of the 2013-14 Season, then I don't imagine we would have traded him at all. That said, JV is not Demarcus Cousins, and Cousins has ALOT to do with how well Rudy is playing. And Casey had a lot to do with how poorly he was playing. Casey would have just continued to let Rudy shoot hilariously bad shots (even by Lou Will/Demar Derozan standards) at a ridiculous clip.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
      If Rudy Gay had put up numbers close to what he has done in Sacramento, at the beginning of the 2013-14 Season, then I don't imagine we would have traded him at all. That said, JV is not Demarcus Cousins, and Cousins has ALOT to do with how well Rudy is playing. And Casey had a lot to do with how poorly he was playing. Casey would have just continued to let Rudy shoot hilariously bad shots (even by Lou Will/Demar Derozan standards) at a ridiculous clip.
      It all started with BC hailing Gay as some sort of savior, a fire that was only fueled by DC's usage. It's an interesting question, which is yet another indictment of DC, more than it is a Gay VS DeRozan debate.

Comment

Guys....

I wanna point this out as well: Gay played 68 games this year and 55 in 13-14. DD has played 79 and 60. That's a difference of 28 games.

So.... if Gay was out, who on our roster would be playing at SF while we stewed? Ross?
        Axel wrote:
        Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
        KeonClark wrote:
        We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
        KeonClark wrote:
        I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
          Perhaps a low post threat can help DD with his efficiency as well. Have a Greg Monroe on our team would certainly reduce the pressure of DD and Lowry and someone else they could pass to when theyre double teamed

Comment

He doesn't wanna play in toronto though, which is why I assume, he was ultimately traded to begin with

Comment

With casey, he would have been what we all saw.

Comment

While I agree that he was given way too much leeway on offense in Raptorland, in fairness, he was doing basically the same thing in Memphis, which was why they traded him in the first place. And there he had really good players around him, plus a decent coach and management team.

He had one really good stretch in Sacramento but over the larger sample size there he's basically the same guy putting up roughly same numbers on slightly better shooting percentages. And, as was pointed out above, while he's not injury-plagued, he's also not an iron man when it comes to games played.

I don't know, the Gay trade was classic BC in so many ways. Once Colangelo's initial plan didn't work, he was constantly scrambling for answers, always trying to solve yesterday's problems and fix past mistakes. After the Jermaine O'Neal, I was done and had seen enough. It was clear at that point he had no plan and no vision. The Gay deal was sheer desperation - I'm positive there was little if any planning as to how it might work long term.

Comment

An interesting thread....often wondered if trade was not made at all. Maybe a different coach may have made a difference.
                  Would Sacramento trade Gay for Vasquez and Patterson today..highly unlikely.
                  Under the right circumstances Val, Amir, Gay, DD and Lowry is a much better lineup than we had this year. Certainly Ross, , JJ, Acy, and a backup PG (making less than $6.0 mil)coming off the bench ....add another solid big.... plus signing Whiteside instead of Stiemsma, and the team would have been solid!

Comment

In theory slotting Ross into DD's spot, and having a go to scorer like Gay would have balanced the roster much more than the current one. But it was shit storm the way he was jacking up ridiculous shots during his time in Toronto. If that remained the same I don't see how Toronto could have been better for trading DD rather RG.

Comment

I felt that they needed to trade one of the two because of the fit (or lack their of), and I didn't really care which one. I actually thought that you'd get a better return for Demar (younger friendlier contract). It's hard to play hindsight because Gays larger contract would have had salary implications, and there's the sliding doors/domino effect that you can't measure.

If I could go back and do it all over again, I probably still would go with whatever package gave us the better return. Knowing what we know now, I would have traded Demar, Gay, and Lowry, and do tanked hard.
                      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

QuadrupleDouble wrote: View Post
                        Perhaps a low post threat can help DD with his efficiency as well. Have a Greg Monroe on our team would certainly reduce the pressure of DD and Lowry and someone else they could pass to when theyre double teamed
                        Would they pass though? Under Casey, seemingly the answer is no.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Honestly, the answer is yes and no.

On paper, the answer is yes as Gay has the legit size to play and defend the 3 and you can easily slide Ross over to 2. Gay is essentially a bigger and more skilled version of DeRozan (which was the main issue with the two when they were together) who costs (a lot) more. On paper, the team is a LOT better due to Gay being a better version of DeRozan while also eliminating the biggest weakness we had that season (large wing defenders). Take out that weakness and we at least make it to the second round that year.

But it would only happen if Casey changed the gameplan and, given that Gay had the largest role in the offense at the time, Casey would not have been as forced to change the strategy (Casey's teams seem as if they play better the less time they have to adjust to Casey's system). The team excelled because they were forced to play on the fly. As such, it can also very easily be "no".
                          Last edited by Just Is; Wed Jun 17, 2015, 10:35 AM.
                          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Working...
                          X