Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slaw wrote: View Post
    Numbers are all from nba.com.

And I'm not comparing GSW's offense to Toronto's but merely pointing out that the meme that all Toronto did was run ISO and that it was the Raptor's undoing is belied by the numbers we have available to us.

As for the eye test, well, I can't dispute what your eyes tell you cause they are your eyes. I do however question the subjective judgment of someone who thinks that having a top 5 offense in the NBA is "easy" and "any team can do it" as you've posted elsewhere. So, I'll go with the numbers available and my own subjective judgment of the playoff offense, which is that it was an absolute mess cause of terrible guard play and decision-making.
    Actually, I said that any team can have a top 5 offense if they ignore the defensive end and I'll stand by that. Just like any team can have a top 5 defense, if they only make defense a priority - some Mike Fratello coached teams come to mind. It's easy to play only one side of the ball. And I used 3 examples of Raptor teams (Casey, Smitch & Triano) who all had top 5 offenses by trading off crap defense. And that's only using the Raps franchise, in recent memory, as an example. That's not subjective, or eye test - those are hard facts that have nothing to do with the SVG assertion that Synergy or NBA.com data can be flawed and subjective by those who collect the data, because they lack context and intent.

Of course, it's true the use of the word "any" might be extreme and that some teams have such bad talent that they're going to be horrible on both sides of the ball, regardless. But by and large, you can take "almost any" group of average talented NBA'ers and get to top 5 status on one side of the ball, if that helps with the semantics. Anyway, agree to disagree.
    Last edited by golden; Tue Jun 30, 2015, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Stats are only valid until they don't run the narrative. Then you need to go to the eye test and if both don't run the narrative then Casey somehow has backdoor technology.

The reality of 11% isoes is moot because people feel it was 99%.

See one is more real than the other.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
        Numbers are all from nba.com.

And I'm not comparing GSW's offense to Toronto's but merely pointing out that the meme that all Toronto did was run ISO and that it was the Raptor's undoing is belied by the numbers we have available to us.

As for the eye test, well, I can't dispute what your eyes tell you cause they are your eyes. I do however question the subjective judgment of someone who thinks that having a top 5 offense in the NBA is "easy" and "any team can do it" as you've posted elsewhere. So, I'll go with the numbers available and my own subjective judgment of the playoff offense, which is that it was an absolute mess cause of terrible guard play and decision-making.
        You have to dig a little deeper into those numbers to see what's what.

We were first in pick and roll ball handler frequency, while GS was last, meaning our guys were using screens to get off their own shots. We were last in catch and shoot shots while GS was sixth. We were first in shots taken after 3-6 dribbles and second in shots taken after seven dribbles. We were third last in assists.

Iso-ball as it's come to mean on this and other forums isn't necessarily purely isolation type plays; it's also shorthand for the opposite of team-oriented, ball movement driven offense. Basically it's every man for himself. That's how we played.

Comment

Lou was fun to watch, i'll admit that, while it lasted
          #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

BS10 wrote: View Post
            Lou was fun to watch, i'll admit that, while it lasted
            I hated watching Lou

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
              I hated watching Lou
              It was aight for pre-season and about 10 games in... but other than that, me too.

Comment

I guffawed in the middle of my office at work. Can you imagine Josh Smith and Lou Williams on the same team? And they have Rudy Gay.
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

Kings are a mess right now ... Really bad situation there and I won't be surprised if D.C. asks for trade in the middle of the season.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    Hahahaha

This right here is the beauty of Twitter.

Comment

• rightsideup wrote: View Post
                      Golden state has a team of good passers
                      GSW were #1 team in AST per game last year. Raptors were #22.

GSW were #2 in AST% (percentage of FGM assisted on by a teammate). Raptors were #28.

I'm not sure what goes into the ISO play numbers, but obviously what it means for GSW to run an ISO and for the Raptors to run an ISO is not the same thing.
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                        GSW were #1 team in AST per game last year. Raptors were #22.

GSW were #2 in AST% (percentage of FGM assisted on by a teammate). Raptors were #28.

I'm not sure what goes into the ISO play numbers, but obviously what it means for GSW to run an ISO and for the Raptors to run an ISO is not the same thing.
                        Talent. That's the difference.

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post

I guffawed in the middle of my office at work. Can you imagine Josh Smith and Lou Williams on the same team? And they have Rudy Gay.
                          Sacramento is running around trying to sign anyone right now.
                          The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
                            Sacramento is running around trying to sign anyone right now.
                            It's like they don't even watch basketball.

Comment

• I'm just waiting for a report that Sacramento has signed tenforthewin to become Head of Basketball Operations.
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                                Talent. That's the difference.
                                Triano led Raptors teams all passed the ball well. Not much talent there.

Comment

Working...
                                X