Poeltl & Pascal - The 2016 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vykis wrote: View Post
    As a lithuanian it would be interesting to hear an outsiders opinion on Domantas Sabonis (Arvydas Sabonis' son) - a sophmore power forward playing for Gonzaga. And his prospects in the NBA
    He looks like an interesting player but will suffer from the disappointment people will feel when they realize that he plays nothing like his father. He's much smaller (6'10"), doesn't have the passing or shooting that his dad did. He'll be a good player but expectations need to shift away from Arvydas Jr and more to Robin Lopez type of player.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• He reminds me of Cody Zeller a bit, decent athleticism, short arms, pretty mobile, Sabonis looks stronger, though, and a better rebounder, if he adds a jumpshot (which is plausible, 82% from the free throw line this season) he could be a great role player. He also plays woth a lot of passion for the game, always screaming, pounding his chest, the work ethic is there, dude IMO is going to have a long career, not as a star, but as a servicable role player

Comment

He reminds me of Cody Zeller a bit, decent athleticism, short arms, pretty mobile, Sabonis looks stronger, though, and a better rebounder, if he adds a jumpshot (which is plausible, 82% from the free throw line this season) he could be a great role player. He also plays woth a lot of passion for the game, always screaming, pounding his chest, the work ethic is there, dude IMO is going to have a long career, not as a star, but as a servicable role player
        Id say that is a good description and reasonable expectation. Fun watching him in person, cause the passion he plays with is on full display. I don't really worry about him offensively, I think he will have some troubles defensively though. I wouldn't mind him with a pick at the end of the first round.

Comment

• Chad Fords new Big Board. Posted my 3 favourite guys in the draft that should be around when raps draft. Well that's if NYK doesn't make the playoffs. Which looking more and more possible.

http://espn.go.com/nba/insider/story...nba-draft-2016

8. Jamal Murray

Previous rank: No. 8
          Kentucky
          Freshman
          Guard

Where would Kentucky be without Murray right now? While the rest of its elite recruiting class has struggled, Murray has been the Wildcats' go-to scorer. Murray's ability to create his own shot, his deep range and his terrific feel all make him a great prospect.

However, scouts are beginning to wonder about his ability to play the point in the NBA. When Tyler Ulis is out and Murray is running the offense, he doesn't look as comfortable as some hoped. That could give teams pause before taking him in the top 10.

At 6-foot-5, he has great size if he's a point guard. But if he's a 2-guard in the NBA, he's average in size and that could be an issue without elite athleticism.
          10. Skal Labissiere

Previous rank: No. 4
          Kentucky
          Freshman
          Center/forward

It has been another horrific month for the big man who was originally ranked No. 2 here. He has totally lost confidence in his game and rarely has an impact at either end. In Kentucky's last game against Alabama, he played just four minutes and collected zero points and three fouls.

Labissiere's slide from the No. 2 spot isn't unprecedented. We had Andre Drummond ranked No. 2 in the 2011-12 preseason, right behind Anthony Davis. His lethargic play at UConn caused him to slide all the way to No. 9 on draft night. However, four years later, he's a dominant NBA center. That's why scouts preach patience.

I spoke with NBA scouts and execs from over half the league about Labissiere. Some teams have him as high as No. 6 or No. 7 on their boards, while the others have him lower.

All of them are hoping he returns to Kentucky for another year to work on his strength and toughness. But if he does declare? His perimeter skills -- which teams really haven't seen at Kentucky -- and his upside will be the lures.
          12. Ivan Rabb

Previous rank: No. 11
          Cal
          Freshman
          Forward/center

A year ago Rabb was ahead of Labissiere on most recruiting boards, only to see the Kentucky prospect pass him after a terrific spring. Now Rabb, who some believed lacked the physicality to be a one-and-done prospect, could end up ahead of Labissiere.

Rabb has not only been a solid low-post threat (he shoots 80 percent at the rim) and rebounder for Cal, he also has shown the ability to step out and shoot. He's hitting 46 percent of his jumpers, about 20 percent higher than teammate Jaylen Brown.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
            If this picks up, i wouldn't be surprised if he elects to just go back to school for another year
            I doubt it him and his family survived the huge earthquake in Haiti a couple year back. Home and everything destroyed. I think his looking on cashing in. As long as his still lottery projected he'll enter the draft.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

As a lithuanian it would be interesting to hear an outsiders opinion on Domantas Sabonis (Arvydas Sabonis' son) - a sophmore power forward playing for Gonzaga. And his prospects in the NBA
              From what I've seen of him so far; I like the idea of picking him up with our second First Round pick. He's always going to massively suffer for how great his dad was which is going to colour how people perceive him (which isn't his fault).

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              Chad Fords new Big Board. Posted my 3 favourite guys in the draft that should be around when raps draft. Well that's if NYK doesn't make the playoffs. Which looking more and more possible.

http://espn.go.com/nba/insider/story...nba-draft-2016
              I think I've decided on what I think Murray is at the NBA level. Murray is most likely a 2 in the mold of someone like Brandon Roy.

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              I doubt it him and his family survived the huge earthquake in Haiti a couple year back. Home and everything destroyed. I think his looking on cashing in. As long as his still lottery projected he'll enter the draft.
              Just to follow up on this; most players who are that high up in draft won't return back to school just because of the money (as well as the trend that they'll go lower in following years).

There's only three good reasons to back out of the draft: to actually finish your degree (which is my absolute favourite reason for staying); you're an international player; or you're most likely not going to be drafted in either round if you come out now.
              Last edited by Just Is; Mon Jan 11, 2016, 01:29 PM.
              "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
              "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Obviously you grab Murray if he is there. Failing that, Rabb is intriguing. Skal I think goes way before our pick.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
                  From what I've seen of him so far; I like the idea of picking him up with our second First Round pick. He's always going to massively suffer for how great his dad was which is going to colour how people perceive him (which isn't his fault).

I think I've decided on what I think Murray is at the NBA level. Murray is most likely a 2 in the mold of someone like Brandon Roy.

Just to follow up on this; most players who are that high up in draft won't return back to school just because of the money (as well as the trend that they'll go lower in following years).

There's only three good reasons to back out of the draft: to actually finish your degree (which is my absolute favourite reason for staying); you're an international player; or you're most likely not going to be drafted in either round if you come out now.
                  I think Murray is more like OJ Mayo than Brandon Roy. I think Murray might just be there at our pick. I could see Rabb and Skal rising into the top 10 with good workouts. Bigs always rise at the draft
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
                    As much as I love Murray, the excitement at the NBA level would be as a scoring PG with size. The presence of Ulis and Briscoe on UK is great to help his draft position drop within the Raps range, because he Murray isn't getting the opportunity to show his PG skills and defend opposition PGs. IMO, his greatest asset is his decision making and feel for the game, so he needs the ball in his hands. From what I've seen, he has no problem breaking down the D and getting other players easy looks (for example, in PnR at the Pan-Ams). He's just a smart player and that kind of player should dominate the ball.

I really don't see Murray as an elite shooter or slasher, which we would want at the SG spot. And he'd be undersized on D at the SG position. As an SG, I think he'd look a lot like Gerald Henderson.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                      As much as I love Murray, the excitement at the NBA level would be as a scoring PG with size. The presence of Ulis and Briscoe on UK is great to help his draft position drop within the Raps range, because he Murray isn't getting the opportunity to show his PG skills and defend opposition PGs. IMO, his greatest asset is his decision making and feel for the game, so he needs the ball in his hands. From what I've seen, he has no problem breaking down the D and getting other players easy looks (for example, in PnR at the Pan-Ams). He's just a smart player and that kind of player should dominate the ball.

I really don't see Murray as an elite shooter or slasher, which we would want at the SG spot. And he'd be undersized on D at the SG position. As an SG, I think he'd look a lot like Gerald Henderson.
                      Not that you draft based on need, but we really don't need another point guard, or a shooting guard for that matter (assuming DeMar stays). Especially when you factor in the possibility of bringing back Nando.

Comment

• I want Nando back. I know we have zero minutes for him but whatevs
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• I think if we end up drafting Murray we need to trade Wright, Powell and Ross. Murray can fill all of those roles and we will need minutes to develop him

also sets us up for when Lowry is done and DeRozan is old and strong enough to switch to the 3
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                            I think if we end up drafting Murray we need to trade Wright, Powell and Ross. Murray can fill all of those roles and we will need minutes to develop him

also sets us up for when Lowry is done and DeRozan is old and strong enough to switch to the 3
                            How much improvement should we realistically be expecting from cojo? Yes age wise he is still very young, but this is his fifth season and his per 36 numbers are pretty similar to his past seasons. I think that Wright could easily provide similar skills, on a rookie contract. In Delon's first year in the d league, his numbers per 36 are generally as good, or better than Cojo's best d league year (mind you cojo played 16 more games.) Yes Delon is a older now than cojo was when he played in the d league, but Wright has less experience. I certainly wouldn't trade Wright until we have at least seen him play.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                              I think if we end up drafting Murray we need to trade Wright, Powell and Ross. Murray can fill all of those roles and we will need minutes to develop him

Gotta keep Wright, PG of the future, and Murray isn't a PG. I'd hang on to Powell too as he's cheap and a decent 5th guard. Ross definitely becomes expendable, Murray can have all of his minutes.

Comment

• IMO there's a really strong chance Demar leaves for LA (hometown, Kobe retires, LA will give him a max offer) than there wouldnt be a traffic jam at SG

Comment

Working...
                                X