Poeltl & Pascal - The 2016 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Raptors feasted on sub .500 teams. most of them have defensive issues and Raptors could score. this season the offense isnt as good and alot of bad team are going to be better. only sixer and knicks are teams that raptors are clearly able to win the season series. everyone else it'll be 2-2 or worse. the future is better but even MU said they'll most likely be worse. the west isnt a factor they be up or down a couple
    First bold, I think the offense will be a lot better, so we'll just have to agree to disagree there.

Second bold, I have not seen him say that anywhere. Please source me on that, all I've seen is positive stuff from MU.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
      First bold, I think the offense will be a lot better, so we'll just have to agree to disagree there.

Second bold, I have not seen him say that anywhere. Please source me on that, all I've seen is positive stuff from MU.
      I agree with your sentiment over raptors999's, but stats-wise, the offense will almost definitely be worse. It'll aesthetically be a lot better, but we probably won't be scoring as much as we did last year.

And Masai didn't say we'd be worse, but he said sometimes you have to take a step back in order to take a big step forward and that the raptors might do that this year. Too lazy to find the source but almost certain it came during summer league

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
        I agree with your sentiment over raptors999's, but stats-wise, the offense will almost definitely be worse. It'll aesthetically be a lot better, but we probably won't be scoring as much as we did last year.

And Masai didn't say we'd be worse, but he said sometimes you have to take a step back in order to take a big step forward and that the raptors might do that this year. Too lazy to find the source but almost certain it came during summer league
        I've seen him saying that closer to the draft and before free agency, when we weren't sure what he was gonna do. Like he could have traded DD and Lowry, we didn't know what the plan was. Haven't seem him say anything since after free agency implying that we could be worse this year. Could be wrong though so please post it if you find it. Just looking at the additions and subtractions I don't know how we could be worse, so it'd be a weird thing to say.

As far as the offense, I can see us scoring less because we're using the shot clock more and actually moving the ball to get a good look. More like the 2013-14 post-Rudy offense.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
          Think Raps are a lottery team until they fire Casey anyway. 2 Lottery picks one top 5 maybe top 3 and a new coach. Write off 2015 and look forward to 2016
          I'd sure like to take that bet.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
            Wow. I might want Casey gone more than anyone here, but you're being ridiculous if you think we're anywhere near a lotto team. We will be a top 5 team in the East for sure, and likely a top 3 team. DC's dogshit system is going to function a lot better with our new players. The offense will be addition by subtraction (plus we just have better players now). CoJo is never going to go yolo like GV did all the time. I'm thinking Ross is our new 6th man and he's incapable of iso ball, so we'll inevitably see a more balanced offense.
            An improved roster doesn't seem to guarantee a quick start ... so maybe we tumble some in the season standings - even if we're neither better or worse - because we've got a roster in transition.

But it's not so bad, if we can finish seventh or better. I don't hear anyone saying we might not be a better playoff team.

Comment

• Raps offensive will get worse but the D will get a lot better. They will most like drop from top5 offensive. I think we stay in top 10 in offence and the D comes up to top 10. Raps will be a more balanced team .

About Masai saying "Taking a step back to get better" I thought it was a reference to the playoffs debacle.
              Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Mon Aug 10, 2015, 12:37 PM.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                Raps offensive will get worse but the D will get a lot better. Instead of a top 5 offensive I think we stay in top 10 in offence and the D comes up to top 10. Raps will be a more balanced team .

About Masai saying "Taking a step back to get better" I thought it was a reference to the playoffs debacle.
                I wish I was as optimistic as you about the offence/defense. I think people are underestimating what Lou and GV brought to the table on O. While it lead to a selfish brand of basketball, they were seasoned vets and were primary ball handlers when on the floor. Now it's just Lowry, Cojo (who isn't a big scoring threat) and Delon (rookie, not a perimeter shooting threat). And on D, Amir is gone and young Jonas is on his own as the only defensive minded big in the paint. It's hard to see us getting worse than last year on D, but top 10 seems like a stretch.

Really hope I'm wrong and it's just a reverse phycology thing I'm doing to myself.

Comment

• I'm really not too concerned about the offense, though we will probably drop out of the top 5 as that is difficult to sustain with an increased focus on defense. We still have our 2 primary scorers, a deep bench, arguably improved shooting (though a bunch of that is riding on DeMar's improvement, and Kyle's hand getting its shooting touch back), and more athletes for the transition game. If we can convert improved defense into offense we'll be more than fine.

The big "one step back" is that we got even younger, and that isn't always a recipe for wins. Casey will be forced to play a little young, a little bigger. Good thing that's what most of us want.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                    I wish I was as optimistic as you about the offence/defense. I think people are underestimating what Lou and GV brought to the table on O. While it lead to a selfish brand of basketball, they were seasoned vets and were primary ball handlers when on the floor. Now it's just Lowry, Cojo (who isn't a big scoring threat) and Delon (rookie, not a perimeter shooting threat). And on D, Amir is gone and young Jonas is on his own as the only defensive minded big in the paint. It's hard to see us getting worse than last year on D, but top 10 seems like a stretch.

Really hope I'm wrong and it's just a reverse phycology thing I'm doing to myself.
                    We were top 10 the year before on D. Young Jonas has back up in Biyombo who knows a thing or two about protecting the paint. 2pat/Scola have always been solid defender. Wont block a lot of shots but, will never be out of place. James Johnson we know what he can do on that side.

Perimeter D will be better as well. Slimmed down Lowry will hopefully be back to being one of the best two way PG's in the league. DeMar will keep being solid. CoJo/Ross>Lou/GV.
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Nice post! I spend a lot of time trying to think like an NBA manager ... but as a fan, really, managing my own expectations is at least as important as anything else.

I don't know either (obviously). But well said. So thanks
                      Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Mon Aug 10, 2015, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Raps offensive will get worse but the D will get a lot better. They will most like drop from top5 offensive. I think we stay in top 10 in offence and the D comes up to top 10. Raps will be a more balanced team .

Agreed 100%. The quick playoff exit certainly made "going in a different direction" easier. The city's disappointment - even disbelief - was very real and understandable.

But you can't call a season-best 49 wins "a step backward".
                        Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Mon Aug 10, 2015, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• Anybody been following Sabonis? That's Domantas Sabonis. He's a PF, who should fall just around the range of our own pick. Good rebounder, good touch at the basket, very fast as a defender ... weak but possibly improving on long shooting.

If it time for the Lithuanian front court?

Comment

• Kuh wrote: View Post
                            Anybody been following Sabonis? That's Domantas Sabonis. He's a PF, who should fall just around the range of our own pick. Good rebounder, good touch at the basket, very fast as a defender ... weak but possibly improving on long shooting.

If it time for the Lithuanian front court?
                            Not a very good fit with Jonas. But if he's best player available for our own pick I'd pull the trigger

Comment

• Anyone heard of Diamond Stone? Kid is a beast
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Anyone heard of Diamond Stone? Kid is a beast
                                Most top ranked prospects are beasts coming out of high school.

Comment

Working...
                                X