Poeltl & Pascal - The 2016 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gambino wrote: View Post
    They're still going to scout and do their due diligence on the pick. You don't just say, "Ok we're trading this" and then don't bother to scout.
    I know. Didn't say they wouldn't.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      I've always thought that the #9 pick will be traded. Its a weak draft and it's one of our best assets to get better now.
      Can be, but I don't really see a realistic trade out there that's really good enough for us. Not saying it isn't out there, I definitely didn't do due diligence. But off the top of my head, I don't see any obvious, realistic good deal out there to be had for the #9. Some people say storing picks and young talent is overrated, but I disagree. We're an almost capped out team if DeRozan's back (he will be). Our best chance, to me, of getting to that next level is through the draft. Even though this draft may be seen as weak, there's always a guy or two that's better than projected, and "surprise future stars" aren't really all that rare (Antetokounmpo, Devin Booker, Myles Turner, Kawhi some years ago, heck, Draymond was a friggin 2nd rounder). Even if the chance of hitting on those non-obvious star rookies isn't the greatest, especially in a weak year, for a team like us, I feel like it's still the best shot we have at really moving the needle.
      Last edited by GuiJaeger; Tue May 31, 2016, 11:22 PM.

Comment

• Skal vs Sabonis vs Marquese Chriss, vs Henry Ellenson

what are peoples thoughts who would fit best?

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          If we lose Biyombo in free agency, I kind of like the idea of drafting Chriss (high offensive potential) at 9 and Diallo (high defensive potential) at 27 to re-stock the PF/C cupboard a bit. You still look for a Ross trade for a high quality PF, but if there's nothing there, you roll with what you have.

Unfortunately, the draft decision has to come first...
          Hey Dan, first off thanks for all the replies and patience you show with us.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the draft take place before the free agency and the trades? Unless you mean if MU decides not to try and resign him.

I don't know about Chriss, but generally I'm in favor of BPA. So if any of the Dunn, Brown or Heild falls at 9, we should grab him. Then I wouldn't be against a PF that MU and his team believe that can start (with Pat off the bench) in case he can't find a trade for TRoss for an upgrade over Pat. I went back in previous draft years and checked the 9 and around there and I got excited. Even if this is not a great year, based on past experience, we can definitely find a starting PF, especially in a line-up where he will be the 5th string. To me any of Skal, Sabonis, Chriss, Ellenson, Davis look good.

I agree with Diallo for a Biyombo replacement with the 27th. While it might sound crazy to think the Raptors this year keeping all their kindergarden (Norm, Bebe, Wright, Caboclo, 9th and 27th) but with some savvy vet infusion (MLE) for SF maybe C we could still take a step forward.

Comment

• mjt20mik wrote: View Post
            RaptorsMR ‏@RaptorsMR 7m7 minutes ago
            @Raptors June 1 pre-draft workout: Demetrius Jackson, Gary Payton II, Dorian Finney-Smith, Jalen Jones, Kyle Wiltjer and Stefan Jankovic
            love that we are looking at gp2. so maybe 27 for a couple 2nd rounders

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
              Jackson is pegged to go mid-late first round. Everyone else seems like second round or undrafted material. Trolling for the 905, or maybe looking to buy a 2nd rounder?
              Ive kinda thought it would make sense to turn the 27 into 2 good second round picks (or one this year one next year) so you don't necessarily take an immediate cap hit, and if you do sign one of the guys right away its a bit cheaper. I don't think you lose much talent wise going from 27 to 37, especially in this draft from what ive read.

Comment

• GuiJaeger wrote: View Post
                Raps do know they have a #9 pick too, right? Only seen the team's name linked up with late first to second round guys recently, bar that Chriss/Ujiri informal convo.
                There's lots of time left

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                  Ive kinda thought it would make sense to turn the 27 into 2 good second round picks (or one this year one next year) so you don't necessarily take an immediate cap hit, and if you do sign one of the guys right away its a bit cheaper. I don't think you lose much talent wise going from 27 to 37, especially in this draft from what ive read.
                  only thing i would be worried about is missing on that sweet sweet china cash. zhou is a figurative goldmine who might also be a decent stretch 4.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                    Skal vs Sabonis vs Marquese Chriss, vs Henry Ellenson

what are peoples thoughts who would fit best?
                    I'm leaning towards Davis. Ellenson scares the bejeezus out of me. lol.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                      Why does Ellenson scare you?

Comment

• What about Diamond Stone with our 27th? He's got the body and the scoring skills of a Glen Davis light. Only issue seems to be his attitude and mental endurance on defense with rotations and boxing out. I think the culture we've developed here could help to mitigate that though. Thoughts?

Comment

• russellhantz wrote: View Post
                          Why does Ellenson scare you?
                          He's a below average athlete at the college level. I don't see how that gets any better at the NBA level, which itself is trending strongly towards bigs with quickness.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                            Cosigned. He may turn out to be good but he has bust written all over him to me. I like Davis and I think he can contribute right away.

If there was some certainty that Valentine would be in the teens then I'd love to see Ujiri trade down in a two for one package(meaning there might be other pieces at work as well) and take Valentine and Sabonis.

A guy that no one is talking about but who will be in the league for a long time is Tyler Ulis. I know, I know, he's too small and they don't need another PG but if he's there at 27 they're not getting better value. They can make it work later(by way of trade). It seems to me that Wright would be a great piece to use in a package deal and Ulis would be a great tool for the box coming in as a spark plug from time to time.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                              Cosigned. He may turn out to be good but he has bust written all over him to me. I like Davis and I think he can contribute right away.

If there was some certainty that Valentine would be in the teens then I'd love to see Ujiri trade down in a two for one package(meaning there might be other pieces at work as well) and take Valentine and Sabonis.

A guy that no one is talking about but who will be in the league for a long time is Tyler Ulis. I know, I know, he's too small and they don't need another PG but if he's there at 27 they're not getting better value. They can make it work later(by way of trade). It seems to me that Wright would be a great piece to use in a package deal and Ulis would be a great tool for the box coming in as a spark plug from time to time.
                              Ulis is 150lbs. Heven will get killed in he NBA. Whenever he's on the floor it should be an automatic post up
                              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

Davis looks like the safest pick. At the very worst, he's a John Henson type of rebounding, rim protection, guard the perimeter mobile big that has good value in the NBA these days. But that shooting form hints at more potential on offense. Reminds me a little bit of a Bosh, honestly.

A lot of the other players being discussed have the downside potential of not even being a top 10 rotation player, without the all-star risk/reward upside, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X