Poeltl & Pascal - The 2016 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    any work out schedules out yet? hope we bring in zhou against some middle round one prospects.

i would like davis/ellenson to work out against each other as well.

i want them to hopefully get chriss on a day when he hasn't had much rest and see if he brings it and works.

i would like skal to workout against a bachynski type player.
    I believe all the agencys have pro days right around this time. I imagine that players will start working out for teams when those are done, so maybe workouts will be announced in like a week or two.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      I don't think you're reaching at all. He's probably a little taller than Biz too. And he obviously has much better hands and a better (really any) offensive foundation.
      I think his floor is Ed Davis. His ceiling is Noel or mcdyess.

Comment

• Noel and McDyess are two very different players lol. McDyess before his knee injury was a huge talent, on the path to be a hall of famer

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
          Noel and McDyess are two very different players lol. McDyess before his knee injury was a huge talent, on the path to be a hall of famer
          I don't rate mcdyess quite that high. He is better than Noel but Noel's still young and started his career hurt. Both he and biz likely won't be near as good offensively but better defensively. Biz could have highest impact, closer to mutumbo.

Comment

• Really wouldn't be surprised if Masai went with skill and acumen and went with Ellenson, hoping that the D is, to some degree, a fixable issue.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
              Really wouldn't be surprised if Masai went with skill and acumen and went with Ellenson, hoping that the D is, to some degree, a fixable issue.
              He has been on a streak of getting defense first, or high defensive potential guys, and id be kind of surprised if that changed, with the exception of signing DD.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                I don't rate mcdyess quite that high. He is better than Noel but Noel's still young and started his career hurt. Both he and biz likely won't be near as good offensively but better defensively. Biz could have highest impact, closer to mutumbo.
                Mcdyss was on his way to being a great great 4. Luckily for him he got that knee injury after the contract. He would easily be considered a top 4 in the league today.

Sent from my HUAWEI TAG-TL00 using Tapatalk

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                  Really wouldn't be surprised if Masai went with skill and acumen and went with Ellenson, hoping that the D is, to some degree, a fixable issue.
                  I agree, val got use to a pylon beside him in scola all year. Ellensons offense is the kind of influx the team needs. It could be high end quality. I really hope he has a good work and proves to the coaching staff he has a high IQ and work ethic.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                    I agree, val got use to a pylon beside him in scola all year. Ellensons offense is the kind of influx the team needs. It could be high end quality. I really hope he has a good work and proves to the coaching staff he has a high IQ and work ethic.

Exactly. Casey very clearly wants offensive skill and 3-point shooting at the 4 - we're fueled by that spacing/kickouts and we can use every extra ounce of ball-savvy we can get. Davis is very much in the Jason Thompson mold - not that there's anything wrong with that, there just didn't seem much inclination to play that type of player at the 4.

Plus, there has to be some consideration of potentially slimming him down and speeding him up on an NBA workout/diet regimen.
                    Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Sun May 29, 2016, 01:30 AM.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                      Well time will tell but I think it would be far more prudent to buy a late rounder for cash than pay this guy.
                      They're not going for the guys I mentioned but the idea of buying a pick because of the draft depth makes sense in this weak guard market:
                      The Knicks plan to acquire a pick in June's draft. The best-case scenario would probably be a late first-round pick but second-round is more likely. The club has shown interest in several players in recent weeks, including Indiana guard Yogi Ferrell, who has a workout scheduled with the club next month. New York also interviewed Kansas guard Wayne Selden at the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago and has expressed interest in him as the draft approaches, according to league sources. Selden, a 6-6 guard, would fit the mold of the big guards Phil Jackson used in his Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Laker teams. Ferrell, a 6-0 guard, has impressed in workouts, according to sources, and was the only point guard last season to average 17 PPG, 5.5 assists and shoot at least 40% from 3. The Knicks have also expressed interest in St. Bonaventure guard Marcus Posley and will likely be one of many teams at the agency-hosted workouts for Seton Hall's Isaiah Whitehead and Syracuse's Malachi Richardson. They also attended the agency-hosted workout for Kansas' Cheik Diallo, according to SNY.tv.
                      http://espn.go.com/espn/now?nowId=21...750940349578-4

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                        That's why you always draft a cricket when it is available. Pound for pound the strongest rebounding bug there is.
                        The Rhinoceros Beetle is the strongest animal on the planted...so you draft the beetle

Axel wrote: View Post
                        I don't think Chriss has enough skill; he's purely a potential pick and I'm not convinced his ceiling is higher than Davis or Skal. I would have a very hard time taking Chriss over either of them and if they are gone, that likely means someone dropped who we should target anyway.
                        Chriss is interesting

On one hand, the ability to string together moves and counter moves is quite brilliant and a really rare talent

On the other hand, he only looks good when he is passed the ball and attacks relentlessly. Any other time he touches the ball within the offense and on the entire defensive side of the ball, he looks as dumb as a sack of hammers.

Personally, two skills are required to have a successful, and effective NBA career; defense, and brains

I don't see either of those with Chriss, and would avoid him like the plague come draft night.

That said, he has that 1% chance of being crazy good

Axel wrote: View Post
                        Skal is skilled but questions on defence and toughness.

Davis has solid fundamentals to develop some offence but brings NBA defence from day one.

I'm not sure whether Skal or Davis will be the better player, but I think both will be better than Chriss.
                        I think the narrative that Skal is soft/lacks intensity is a bit of a misnomer. In multiple games over the college season he would make a play and be running back screaming lets go and yelling and trying to pump the guys up. He has that extra gear, but not everyone plays in that extra gear all the time...so long as they have it is a good thing.

Davis is my pick. He has holes, but they are all teachable skills especially in an NBA setting when you don't have to worry about school and have the time to put towards working on your game, have game film, etc.

Skal and Davis are the better all around players than Chriss...but Skal will more than likely be the big riser come draft night.

At this point it's Davis, and Sabonis if he is gone.

Sabonis is rated as a poor defender right now largely because he played C and people shot over him as he is not a great leaper or rim protector. But, positionally his rotations were great, his feet were great at sliding sideways and he has a wide base. He read PnR's well and was in the right position (from what I have seen). So I think he is going to be a solid to good defender as a pro because he makes up for his lack of length with positioning and strength, which are subtly very valuable at the NBA level. Offensively, his knock is athleticism and left hand dominance. But, at the same time his average athleticism has led him to being a heady, crafty player...and those translate well to the NBA. I'm curious to see how he translates.

Also, here is a link to the Combine measurements: https://mediacentral.nba.com/wp-cont..._tw_sf26163323

Comment

• I'm happy with either one of Davis, Chriss or Skal they all have potential.

Comment

• Billy103 wrote: View Post
                            I'm happy with either one of Davis, Chriss or Skal they all have potential.
                            Yeah I wouldn't mind any from an upside standpoint. Still need to look into Chris's more.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• Anyone have Chad Ford insider report on Ellenson?

Comment

• "Ellenson measured 6-foot-11.5 in shoes with a 7-foot-2.5 wingspan at the combine. That's the size of most centers in the NBA.

Yet Ellenson seems more comfortable playing away from the basket. He shot just 29 percent from 3-point territory in college, but you wouldn't know it by how well he shot the ball in workouts. While his release is a bit on the slow side, he has great shooting form and showed he could hit shots with regularity from anywhere on the floor.

He also possesses a crafty midrange game and excelled in a series of drills, where he specialized in the step-back jumper -- a Dirk Nowitzki specialty.

Ellenson is bigger and a better rebounder than Chriss. He also has a more refined midrange game, too. But he lacks the elite athletic ability and rim protection that Chriss provides.

That lack of explosiveness may end up hurting him as teams in the mid-to-late lottery decide between the two. But Ellenson's floor seems significantly higher than Chriss' and a team wanting to go a safer route (especially a team that thinks they can play him as a stretch-5) might choose the more polished Ellenson. "

- From a few days ago when Ford saw a group workout involving Ellenson

Comment

Working...
                                X