Poeltl & Pascal - The 2016 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks.

The lack of explosiveness (ie getting above the rim) doesn't concern me - it's the lateral quicks and that he may be too big (and slow) for the modern 4-spot. I love the craftiness though (ie old man game at a young age) - guys that have that in their game (along with size & skill) tend to do very well.

David West comes to mind, though he's pretty intense and was probably always a good defender.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
      The Rhinoceros Beetle is the strongest animal on the planted...so you draft the beetle

Chriss is interesting

On one hand, the ability to string together moves and counter moves is quite brilliant and a really rare talent

On the other hand, he only looks good when he is passed the ball and attacks relentlessly. Any other time he touches the ball within the offense and on the entire defensive side of the ball, he looks as dumb as a sack of hammers.

Personally, two skills are required to have a successful, and effective NBA career; defense, and brains

I don't see either of those with Chriss, and would avoid him like the plague come draft night.

That said, he has that 1% chance of being crazy good

I think the narrative that Skal is soft/lacks intensity is a bit of a misnomer. In multiple games over the college season he would make a play and be running back screaming lets go and yelling and trying to pump the guys up. He has that extra gear, but not everyone plays in that extra gear all the time...so long as they have it is a good thing.

Davis is my pick. He has holes, but they are all teachable skills especially in an NBA setting when you don't have to worry about school and have the time to put towards working on your game, have game film, etc.

Skal and Davis are the better all around players than Chriss...but Skal will more than likely be the big riser come draft night.

At this point it's Davis, and Sabonis if he is gone.

Sabonis is rated as a poor defender right now largely because he played C and people shot over him as he is not a great leaper or rim protector. But, positionally his rotations were great, his feet were great at sliding sideways and he has a wide base. He read PnR's well and was in the right position (from what I have seen). So I think he is going to be a solid to good defender as a pro because he makes up for his lack of length with positioning and strength, which are subtly very valuable at the NBA level. Offensively, his knock is athleticism and left hand dominance. But, at the same time his average athleticism has led him to being a heady, crafty player...and those translate well to the NBA. I'm curious to see how he translates.

Also, here is a link to the Combine measurements: https://mediacentral.nba.com/wp-cont..._tw_sf26163323
      I would put Sabonis lower down. If the other guys are gone, then someone likely dropped (Brown?); otherwise Valentine is my fallback guy. Valentine would be great as either a 5th starter glue guy (in case we need someone at SG for example) or as a facilitator on the bench (would do great work with CoJo, and Powell/Ross).
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• I think Davis is the "safe pick" For Masai to pick, the "at the very least" we have a seviceble big man. However it would be much more exciting if he gambles on Skal or Chriss cause playing it safe is not always the right choice either. I am sure Masai will go through all the workouts and statistics in making the right choice.

Since most people are only looking at the 9th pick, we should be looking at the
        27th pick more closely and see if Masai can find another diamond in the rough like he did with Norman Powell. This is the pick where Masai out to gamble big.

Comment

• Just seen Davis scouting report he looks very good defensively. He is a good shot blocker and a very good rebounder. He looks like he can hit the midrange jumper with more repetition.

Comment

• I just wanted to mention that Ed Davis is actually a very good player, and to some degree Deyonta will be fortunate to get to that level. His jumper doesn't seem broken though, and that could be where he could vault over a player like Ed.

Comment

• Davis has a higher floor than Chriss and Skal. But they are around same age. I don't think when guy has a higher floor that it means he has lower ceiling. Just look at Norman Powell. Having a strong foundation is a bonus.
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                I think Davis is the "safe pick" For Masai to pick, the "at the very least" we have a seviceble big man. However it would be much more exciting if he gambles on Skal or Chriss cause playing it safe is not always the right choice either. I am sure Masai will go through all the workouts and statistics in making the right choice.

Since most people are only looking at the 9th pick, we should be looking at the
                27th pick more closely and see if Masai can find another diamond in the rough like he did with Norman Powell. This is the pick where Masai out to gamble big.
                It's hard to get too excited about the 27th pick because the roster space just isn't there at the moment, let alone rotation space. It's hard to imagine two rookies joining this team next year, not that draft-and-stashes or trades aren't worth getting excited about.

Comment

• Anthony Bennett in college

15 pts, 52% FG, 38 3P%, 8 rebounds per game, 1.2 blocks.

Cautionary tale I guess.
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Zach Randolph is another guy I'd compare Ellenson to, though he's more low post, less behind the arc - a little bit chunky, fleet feet overall but not so much on D, great rebounding/ballhandling, and overall just a gamer that will make you pay with craftiness.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                      I would put Sabonis lower down. If the other guys are gone, then someone likely dropped (Brown?); otherwise Valentine is my fallback guy. Valentine would be great as either a 5th starter glue guy (in case we need someone at SG for example) or as a facilitator on the bench (would do great work with CoJo, and Powell/Ross).
                      Never watched much Michigan State, but Valentine has absolutely crazy stats.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                        Valentine worries me because the NBA is moving in the direction of it being really, really hard to hide guys on defense, and he was an awful defender in college.
                        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Sabonis, Valentine, Luwawu, and Ellenson (less so) all aren't worth top 10 picks.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                            Never watched much Michigan State, but Valentine has absolutely crazy stats.
                            I'm a big Spartans fan and he was insane this year. He literally did everything for them on offence with insane efficiency.

Barolt wrote: View Post
                            Valentine worries me because the NBA is moving in the direction of it being really, really hard to hide guys on defense, and he was an awful defender in college.
                            I'm not nearly as worried. Valentine is probably the smartest player in the draft and one of the smartest college players I've ever seen. He will never be a lockdown guy, but he's someone who will make the right play/read/rotation. That will help cover up defensive deficiencies and his offensive skills will be great.
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Another natural comparison for Ellenson is Olynyk. Both played PG when they were younger. Would Casey play Kelly next to Jonas? I'd guess yes.

PS - sorry I'm such an Ellenson kick.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                                Another natural comparison for Ellenson is Olynyk. Both played PG when they were younger. Would Casey play Kelly next to Jallow I'd guess yes.

PS - sorry I'm such an Ellenson kick.
                                After witnessing the constant undressing Scola received in the playoffs, I am itching for a strong defensive present at the 4. Also Casey will not allow Ellenson to develop if he screws up on defense.

Comment

Working...
                                X