Poeltl & Pascal - The 2016 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saints91 wrote: View Post
    Bosh didn't have 3pt range until Miami, but he had could shoot very well from 15-18ft.
    Bosh couldn't do even that when he first came to Toronto. He could face up and beat guys with a quick first step. He could finish a little around the rim but he was so skinny that post up didn't work at that point. Bosh was a great pick because of his work ethic, that's what made him an all star. He worked hard every summer to add aspects to his game. That includes the mid range, the post up, etc.

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
      The above should have read integrated JV in the offence.

Re Davis, because he is 19. Because I think he can develop a nice NBA baby hook, and I think he'll be able to knock down an open 12 footer as we move forward. But mostly it is that I prioritize defence for this pick. I don't think everyone needs to be offensively gifted to help the team. I'm hoping JV is much more involved in the offence next year. You know KL & DD are going to get their shots, Demarre is going to get his, there simply aren't enough shots to get everyone involved in the offence.

All a (defensive minded) PF playing with JV needs to do on offence is be able to catch passes JV throws out of a double team, able to go up and dunk without needing to gather himself. I am confident he can do that. If need be I think he can hit a baby hook and a short J. But really I don't expect him or any PF pick this year to play extended minutes. If he can come in and play some defence and block some shots - great.

At the number 9 pick this year, you are not going to draft the unibrow. You are not getting a player that can do it all. If you can get a guy that can do one or two things well, I think that is pretty good. Particularly one that can help a win now team in the short term and hopefully develop with the team over the medium to long term. I would prefer to add a PF that is limited offensively than flawed defensively.
      If we learned anything from these playoffs is along with the importance of defense,you got to have people on the floor that can reliably knock down shots,space the floor,what you mentioned just doesn't cover that,cause he's not capable of that,and we keep HOPING he develops that kind of offence,many prospects that rely on their length to score fail to develop outside game(like our old ED DAVIS),this is why 2 way players are valued and likely to develop more than others.

Comment

• Deino wrote: View Post
        If we learned anything from these playoffs is along with the importance of defense,you got to have people on the floor that can reliably knock down shots,space the floor,what you mentioned just doesn't cover that,cause he's not capable of that,and we keep HOPING he develops that kind of offence,many prospects that rely on their length to score fail to develop outside game(like our old ED DAVIS),this is why 2 way players are valued and likely to develop more than others.
        Again, I don't think we can add a player that can do everything well at the 4 with this pick. I'm intrigued by Ellenson and Chriss. I actually quite like Ellenson, and who doesn't enjoy watching Chriss highlights?

It depends what you are looking for. I think Ellenson could come in and be an excellent floor spacer. He has a great looking shot, good handle, and he can rebound well. He's a good basketball player. But there are concerns about his defence. Based off what I've seen, you could do worse than draft Ellenson. But there appears to be a trade off. If Ellenson makes it past us, I think he goes next to Milwaukee.

Chriss is a freak athlete. Looks like he has reasonable shot mechanics. Again I wouldn't hate if we picked Chriss, though based on what I've seen so far, I suspect he doesn't make it past Sacremento's pick. He appears to have a high ceiling, certainly as far as excitement goes, but probably has some bust potential. There are plenty of freak athletes that never put it together and make meaningful NBA careers out of it. There are plenty of athletic shot blockers that can't time it well in the NBA, players that can't play defence without fouling. Players that can get their offence off in college due to superior athleticism, but can't translate that to the NBA.

Based off what I have seen I think Davis is the safest pick. Right now. For a win now team. That could all change after work outs and after more information is available to us.

Comment

• read this and tell me it doesnt sound like Ellenson "Lacks explosiveness, agility, elusiveness and quickness off the bounce ... Under the rim finisher, which is troublesome when you consider his size ... Not a threat to shake his defender off the dribble ... Minimal upside ... Vulnerable defending quicker guards on the perimeter "

Comment

• Masai Uhearme wrote: View Post
            read this and tell me it doesnt sound like Ellenson "Lacks explosiveness, agility, elusiveness and quickness off the bounce ... Under the rim finisher, which is troublesome when you consider his size ... Not a threat to shake his defender off the dribble ... Minimal upside ... Vulnerable defending quicker guards on the perimeter "
            Sounds like Tyler Hansbrough

Comment

• Masai Uhearme wrote: View Post
              read this and tell me it doesnt sound like Ellenson "Lacks explosiveness, agility, elusiveness and quickness off the bounce ... Under the rim finisher, which is troublesome when you consider his size ... Not a threat to shake his defender off the dribble ... Minimal upside ... Vulnerable defending quicker guards on the perimeter "
              Larry Bird?

Dirk Nowitzki?

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                He could clearly always hit them (again, 48% on 2 attempts/game), just wasn't asked of him.
                In college yeah? Thats not a 3 pt shot in the nba nor is it a huge sample on just one year. His shot was not an effective part of his game. His form was ok, but again it took years to be consistent from the midrange and more to be effective from 3.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                  Bosh couldn't do even that when he first came to Toronto. He could face up and beat guys with a quick first step. He could finish a little around the rim but he was so skinny that post up didn't work at that point. Bosh was a great pick because of his work ethic, that's what made him an all star. He worked hard every summer to add aspects to his game. That includes the mid range, the post up, etc.
                  Thank you. His shot was ok but needed a fair amount of work. Slight improvement on form and a shitload of reps.

And again, this was brought up because of Davis's shot. How does it look? Can he hit free throws? Is there promise his form is good enough that he could be a shooter?

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    Thank you. His shot was ok but needed a fair amount of work. Slight improvement on form and a shitload of reps.

And again, this was brought up because of Davis's shot. How does it look? Can he hit free throws? Is there promise his form is good enough that he could be a shooter?

Not true at all. Bosh shot above 40% from 16-23ft every year but his rookie season in the NBA, and took 22% of his shots his second season and hit 40.4% of them from that distance.

His third season he took 26.9% of all shots from 16-23ft, and hit 49.3% from that range.
                    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Again, I don't think we can add a player that can do everything well at the 4 with this pick. I'm intrigued by Ellenson and Chriss. I actually quite like Ellenson, and who doesn't enjoy watching Chriss highlights?

It depends what you are looking for. I think Ellenson could come in and be an excellent floor spacer. He has a great looking shot, good handle, and he can rebound well. He's a good basketball player. But there are concerns about his defence. Based off what I've seen, you could do worse than draft Ellenson. But there appears to be a trade off. If Ellenson makes it past us, I think he goes next to Milwaukee.

Chriss is a freak athlete. Looks like he has reasonable shot mechanics. Again I wouldn't hate if we picked Chriss, though based on what I've seen so far, I suspect he doesn't make it past Sacremento's pick. He appears to have a high ceiling, certainly as far as excitement goes, but probably has some bust potential. There are plenty of freak athletes that never put it together and make meaningful NBA careers out of it. There are plenty of athletic shot blockers that can't time it well in the NBA, players that can't play defence without fouling. Players that can get their offence off in college due to superior athleticism, but can't translate that to the NBA.

Based off what I have seen I think Davis is the safest pick. Right now. For a win now team. That could all change after work outs and after more information is available to us.
                      Fair enough,eventhough I believe Chriss is the safer pick imo.

Comment

Fair enough,eventhough I believe Chriss is the safer pick imo.
                        2 questions. Why do you believe Chriss is the safer pick? What do you like about Chriss?

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                          Not true at all. Bosh shot above 40% from 16-23ft every year but his rookie season in the NBA, and took 22% of his shots his second season and hit 40.4% of them from that distance.

His third season he took 26.9% of all shots from 16-23ft, and hit 49.3% from that range.
                          3 years is "years" and I pointed this exact point out earlier. Shooting just a shade over 40% on long 2s isn't effective. Point stands, he wasnt a shooter or known as one. His skill set was being incredibly quick off the dribble and getting to the rim.

Just to add, his shot wasnt pretty. It wasn't broken, but it was not an NBA ready shooting form.

Comment

2 questions. Why do you believe Chriss is the safer pick? What do you like about Chriss?
                            Chriss is a better all around player on both ends,his athleticism,energy,offensive game(with range),even his defense over shadows the perception that he'll suffer on the boards,plus his potential is higher than most( except Skal maybe),time and age is on his side(3 ball time),he's got more(as a package) to like than others that are one way prospects.

Comment

• Off topic....watching exit interviews on Raptors Today ...all players seemed very positive and kinda sad its over. I believe the program is on a loop...watch it if u can.

Comment

Chriss is a better all around player on both ends,his athleticism,energy,offensive game(with range),even his defense over shadows the perception that he'll suffer on the boards,plus his potential is higher than most( except Skal maybe),time and age is on his side(3 ball time),he's got more(as a package) to like than others that are one way prospects.
                                http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/4/2...ort-washington

Comment

Working...
                                X