Poeltl & Pascal - The 2016 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    If Raps trade Ross to clear up cap to resign Biz. Timothe Luwawu becomes a serious consideration at 9.
    To me it makes more sense to just play Powell at backup 2 and draft bpa. Likely wont need them for a year anyways.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      Dream Trade Scenario:

1. T-Wolves sign Biz as a FA (.... stay with me here for a minute.)
      2. Raps trade Ross + 9th pick + (sweetener?) to T-Wolves
      3. T-Wolves sign & trade Biz + 6th pick for Ross + 9th pick + (deal sweetener)
      4. Raps draft Jamal Murray

Why the T-Wolves do it?
      1. They turn the 6th pick into a shooter and defensive player with upside (Ross), plus another top 10 pick.
      2. Thibs will turn Ross into Jimmy Butler 2.0
      3. Wolves don't need a lot more development projects. They need some young veterans and start to build a culture of winning.

Why the Raps do it?
      1. Who wants to sex Biyombo? A: Canada
      2. Picking 6th vs. 9th makes a huge difference for the Raps, but not so much for the Wolves at their stage of development. One of: Jamal Murray, Jaylen Brown or Kris Dunn could be on the board at that time.

Imagine turning Ross + 9th + sweetener into Biyombo + Murray?

.... and then I woke up. lol.
      You can only sign and trade your own free agents.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
        To me it makes more sense to just play Powell at backup 2 and draft bpa. Likely wont need them for a year anyways.
        Yeah, I think the position thing is not a factor. I was glad looking ahead to this draft because there were a bunch of PF's in the top 10 area, so it looked like some convenience might be found positionally. But the list should already be Chriss, Davis, Luwawu, Skal, IMO.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
          don't care how others rate or tier players. only matters how our staff does it. i don't think they would go to a lower tier if poetl was rated higher as the rate people.

does ford list every tier or just the slot number they should be drafted?
          Yeah, when I was talking tiers i was referring to the teams.

Ford doesn't list tiers, but both he and DX have separate rankings (how they personally view the player) and mocks (how they feel teams view/will pick players).
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            Yeah, I think the position thing is not a factor. I was glad looking ahead to this draft because there were a bunch of PF's in the top 10 area, so it looked like some convenience might be found positionally. But the list should already be Chriss, Davis, Luwawu, Skal, IMO.
            I disagree, position is of paramount importance. #9 is not high enough to just take the player with the most potential because at 9 it's kind of a crap shoot, and we're clearly peaking but desperately need a starting caliber PF, or at least someone to split 50/50 with PP. Unless one of the studs falls in our lap you have to take someone that immediately helps instead of picking a backup to a position of strength and waiting for 5 years down the line.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
              I disagree, position is of paramount importance. #9 is not high enough to just take the player with the most potential because at 9 it's kind of a crap shoot, and we're clearly peaking but desperately need a starting caliber PF, or at least someone to split 50/50 with PP. Unless one of the studs falls in our lap you have to take someone that immediately helps instead of picking a backup to a position of strength and waiting for 5 years down the line.

depends. you have to think long game. we will need another franchise player in 2-5 years with lowry getting older. this number 9 could be that pick. doesn't matter who comes in if they make defensive mistakes they get the yank.

Comment

The thing is that unless Hield or Dunn slip to #9 a PF is going to be the highest potential player on the board. A PF is going to be the most NBA ready player in the board. This is the year of the mid round PF rush and I could see a couple of them developing into stars.

Comment

We don't really disagree. When you say at 9 it is a crap shoot, I think you echo my feelings - as you drop away from the top of the draft, each tier of player quality becomes broader. So there's the BPA at 1. And 2. Then 3-5 there's probably no clear BPA, you can take whoever fits best. Same for 6-7. Then at like 8-12 there are a bunch of guys where it's a wash, or at least more noise than signal. So yeah, I've been targeting the PF's for the most part because I think Chriss and Davis are in that group of BPA's at that range and, yes, it would be fantastic to solve the PF issue long term. Looking later in the draft, from like 20 to 35 opinions from scouts are going to vary wildly, and the second round is actually a crap shoot.

I think if this was a year like Ross' draft year, and a guy in those higher tiers slipped (or was just the last guy available from a higher tier), you take them without regard for position. This year, where we are picking, it's pretty flat IMO, so you can target a PF. That said, if Murray slips to 9 you take him no matter how much you need a PF.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Meh. I'm on record with BPA, even if he's 2-3 years away. Assuming nothing really changes except Biz leaving, DD/Lowry/Carroll/PP/JV/Joseph/Ross/Powell/Wright/Bebe are all back. And you can bet that, even in that scenario, MU is adding a vet signing at PF/C. There are next to no minutes for a rookie. If they somehow move Ross to re-sign Biz somehow, the rotation becomes even harder to crack. No one at #9, especially a big, is going to step in and make any immediate difference.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                      Meh. I'm on record with BPA, even if he's 2-3 years away. Assuming nothing really changes except Biz leaving, DD/Lowry/Carroll/PP/JV/Joseph/Ross/Powell/Wright/Bebe are all back. And you can bet that, even in that scenario, MU is adding a vet signing at PF/C. There are next to no minutes for a rookie. If they somehow move Ross to re-sign Biz somehow, the rotation becomes even harder to crack. No one at #9, especially a big, is going to step in and make any immediate difference.
                      I think whoever we grab at 9 as a PF gets backup minutes (12 per game or so) next season.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I disagree. Both Sabonis or Davis will be starting by no later than the end of the season if they're drafted here. They're both ready to rock and roll and have everything they need to make an impact once they get used to the pace of the game.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                          I disagree. Both Sabonis or Davis will be starting by no later than the end of the season if they're drafted here. They're both ready to rock and roll and have everything they need to make an impact once they get used to the pace of the game.
                          I preface my comment with: I don't know who either guy is and have never seen any of these guys that are being discussed play (I have less than zero interest in college ball). Having noted that, this is not the 41-41 Toronto Raptors. This is the 56-win, next step is the Finals Raptors. So, whoever these guys are, they need to be able to go toe-to-toe with Kevin Love, Al Horford, Chris Bosh et al. next year and handle the pressure of playoff games on the road without skipping a beat. That seems like a tall order unless one of these guys is a superstar....

I think whoever we grab at 9 as a PF gets backup minutes (12 per game or so) next season
                          This seems more likely....

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                            I preface my comment with: I don't know who either guy is and have never seen any of these guys that are being discussed play (I have less than zero interest in college ball). Having noted that, this is not the 41-41 Toronto Raptors. This is the 56-win, next step is the Finals Raptors. So, whoever these guys are, they need to be able to go toe-to-toe with Kevin Love, Al Horford, Chris Bosh et al. next year and handle the pressure of playoff games on the road without skipping a beat. That seems like a tall order unless one of these guys is a superstar....

This seems more likely....
                            Look at who they're rolling out at PF. Ok, it's not the cream of the crop. Don't try to convince me that Davis and Sabonis aren't better than Luis Scola; it's not even gonna be close. While I know you haven't seen either play, Scola is out there playing against all those names you dropped. The 56 win Raptors need a guy like Davis or Sabonis to become 60 win Raptors.

Oh and my comment was initially directed to Dan's comment about 12MPG. How many MPG was Powell getting at the end of the season?
                            Last edited by Apollo; Tue May 24, 2016, 11:44 AM. Reason: .

Comment

• I still am worried about taking a PF with the 9th pick.

I feel letting DD go is still the best option, as it allows us to rebuild on the fly and increase JV's role, who looks like a All-Star in the making right now.

I really like Luwawu, Valentine or Taurean Prince at the 9th pick.
                              Axel wrote:
                              Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• After the way DD has played in the ECF I don't see much risk in paying him and then finding a suitor in a trade down the road. I think he's redeemed himself.

Comment

Working...
                                X