Poeltl & Pascal - The 2016 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    i think if no one drops i am in the lithuanian leviathans camp now. i like ellenson but i think sabonis is going to be plug and play from day one.
    Wouldn't JV be the leviathan since he's bigger than little Sabonis?

Sabonis is only the right pick if the rumours of his shooting stroke are true. If not, Davis fits both long and short term for us better than any other prospect at that tier.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
      Wouldn't JV be the leviathan since he's bigger than little Sabonis?

Sabonis is only the right pick if the rumours of his shooting stroke are true. If not, Davis fits both long and short term for us better than any other prospect at that tier.
      Davis might be the best pick, but his shooting is a complete question mark. If we are talking fit, it might be Skal who is the best fit. Of course he's a home run swing that might be a strikeout.

In any case, I think the fit is acceptable for any of the PF's in that range (Skal, Davis, Sabonis).
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Besides the top 8, I'm sold on Skal as our pick. His college career was disappointing, but his minutes were all over the place, and he wasn't featured. It's hard to peg what exactly went on, but these games are encouraging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtnyG6TMO4Q
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_aO2z-s_XA
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R0eFmSoGvU

There's enough flashes for me to use #9 on him. The Raptors now have the right structure in place to develop players, and I think he has the highest ceiling out of anybody available. With Lowry, DeMar, and Carroll pushing this kid he could become something special.

Sabonis, Poeltl and Ellenson probably have a higher floor, but don't have the athleticism to take them to the next level. I would say Davis has a similar floor, and is better on D, but I don't see a possibility of becoming a borderline superstar.
        Last edited by saints91; Sat Jun 18, 2016, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• I just don't like the vibe I get from Skal. I like the Charlie V comparison. He couldn't earn playing time on a team that needed exactly the skills he was supposed to bring on both ends, and for a coach who tries to find ways to get his blue chippers on the court.

Davis on the other hand earned a bigger role than expected and is going to be a lottery pick a year earlier than projected. He was playing for a tough coach who doesn't get carried away by prospect hype and highly values D.

I like Davis. There are things about him that remind of a young Camby or Chandler on D and that he frequently brought onto the court, hence him earning minutes as a freshman. The mechanics on his shot look way better than those guys. If he really can improve his shot that's a pretty high ceiling guy imo.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
            Scola as he was in his prime years would be good value.
            I would tend to agree.

I doubt Sabonis reaches Scola's level offensively though. Luis' jumper was so wet. Sabonis might be a better defender though.

Comment

• With Davis I see him more as a 5 who can play the 4. Skal is 4 who is athletic and mobile enough to guard the perimeter. With small ball line-ups you need that mobility, and I think Skal has the foot speed to be a good perimeter defender. I'm not worried about Skal's weight because not many 4's really play in the paint. 10lbs of added weight (muscle) should be enough for him.

Personality wise, I don't see any negatives with Skal, seems like a grounded confident kid.

Comment

• Is it worth considering the Lietuva effect of drafting Sabonis? Two young bigs, coming from a country where "basketball is like a religion to us" and spending each summer training together and learning each other's moves, tendencies and defensive counters? Two young guys who both play for TWO countries? Plus, there may be some personal tutoring from Arvydus Sabonis (not sure how involved he is).

An additional upside is that they will be broadening their game by playing international ball together.

Of course their are peripheral benefits, like Canada attaining "Most Favoured Nation" status international rtade with Lithuania. :-)

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                  Is it worth considering the Lietuva effect of drafting Sabonis? Two young bigs, coming from a country where "basketball is like a religion to us" and spending each summer training together and learning each other's moves, tendencies and defensive counters? Two young guys who both play for TWO countries? Plus, there may be some personal tutoring from Arvydus Sabonis (not sure how involved he is).

An additional upside is that they will be broadening their game by playing international ball together.

Of course their are peripheral benefits, like Canada attaining "Most Favoured Nation" status international rtade with Lithuania. :-)
                  As a Lithuanian I can't deny that it would be pretty exciting. I still think that Masai should draft the best player available though, whether he thinks it's Sabonis or Poeltl or someone else.

Comment

• The whole BPA thing is getting pretty annoying. I think we are all talking about who we think is the best player at #9. I don't think anyone is condoning reaching for a player.

Comment

• Let's all assume each player brought up in a post is that person's BPA.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                        Let's all assume each player brought up in a post is that person's BPA.
                        I agree. After the top8, there's a bunch of guys who really wouldn't be considered that much of a reach at #9.

Comment

• You Probably can go 9-17 and have a good argument on why you think he's the best player at #9. It's a interesting draft.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                            You Probably can go 9-17 and have a good argument on why you think he's the best player at #9. It's a interesting draft.
                            Interesting. I think the better word would be weak.
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                              Is it worth considering the Lietuva effect of drafting Sabonis? Two young bigs, coming from a country where "basketball is like a religion to us" and spending each summer training together and learning each other's moves, tendencies and defensive counters? Two young guys who both play for TWO countries? Plus, there may be some personal tutoring from Arvydus Sabonis (not sure how involved he is).

The older Sabonis suffered a heart attack about 5 yrs. ago I believe and about that time said he would have to curtail his pleasures. He was going to give up basketball in favour of sex.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                                The older Sabonis suffered a heart attack about 5 yrs. ago I believe and about that time said he would have to curtail his pleasures. He was going to give up basketball in favour of sex.
                                But he did spend some time working with the Lithuanian team in the first couple of years JV was in TO. I thought JV worked out with him in the summer, 2-3 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X