No announcement yet.

Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ross was overmatched last year. So let's not start with that being acceptable.

There's and argument to be made that he wouldn't be overmatched against bench SF's (which I don't necessarily buy) but the starting point has to be that Ross got destroyed last year at SF and that hopefully he does better against bench units.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Yeah, hopefully we see Ross predominantly guarding backcourt players this year. That's the best way to utilize him defensively and it's been pretty obvious since his rookie year. He has great quickness for a player his height, which is tall for a SG. He guards PGs better than he guards most SFs.

With Carroll looking like a guy who'll eat up 35 mpg, I feel like Ross on a SF should really be a rare sight. I also never understood why DeMar wasn't given those matchups when he's clearly stronger than Ross. Between Carroll, DeMar, JJ and any random minutes young guys might get, it should be easy enough to keep Ross from having to guard any bigger wings.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        Yeah, hopefully we see Ross predominantly guarding backcourt players this year. That's the best way to utilize him defensively and it's been pretty obvious since his rookie year. He has great quickness for a player his height, which is tall for a SG. He guards PGs better than he guards most SFs.

With Carroll looking like a guy who'll eat up 35 mpg, I feel like Ross on a SF should really be a rare sight. I also never understood why DeMar wasn't given those matchups when he's clearly stronger than Ross. Between Carroll, DeMar, JJ and any random minutes young guys might get, it should be easy enough to keep Ross from having to guard any bigger wings.
        In a couple months Ross will be guarding PF while Carroll is keeping C out of the post. Positionless basketball Casey style

Comment

• ^^^ When will Raptor fans realize the not every problem with this team is Casey and the we have a team with very average players !!! This team lacks the star power, the real difference maker talent and that is MU's job.

Comment

• McRealistic wrote: View Post
            ^^^ When will Raptor fans realize the not every problem with this team is Casey and the we have a team with very average players !!! This team lacks the star power, the real difference maker talent and that is MU's job.
            My guess is when Casey stops playing guys out of position and starts playing to their strengths rather than a role on a predetermined cue card.

Comment

• McRealistic wrote: View Post
              ^^^ When will Raptor fans realize the not every problem with this team is Casey and the we have a team with very average players !!! This team lacks the star power, the real difference maker talent and that is MU's job.
              When you're playing players out of position (he legitimately played Ross at PF) (thereby not playing to the players strengths) while fully not understanding the actual purpose behind what small ball actually means, it's a Casey problem.

And I can't emphasize how silly the argument that seems to be arising that "We don't have any star talent thus who cares what actually happens on the court" is. It's just, for a lack of better terms, dumb. Especially when you sign one of the better SFs in the league...and immediately decide it would be a good idea to put him at PF.
              Last edited by Just Is; Sun Oct 18, 2015, 02:45 PM.
              "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
              "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• you guys see the giant knee pack on normans' leg in the lakers game?

Comment

• Good read on Norm Powell. About how his learning a lot from watching DD play and than getting a chance to try what he learned in the D league.

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2016/01/15/62514/

Out of the 5 players that we have in the D league. Norm is the one I'm most confident about becoming a regular rotation player next year.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I can't really explain why, but I'm really rooting for Powell to crack the rotation. I love his humble attitude, his willingness to learn, and his eagerness to succeed.

I wouldn't be upset if he eventually makes Ross expendable this summer.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      I can't really explain why, but I'm really rooting for Powell to crack the rotation. I love his humble attitude, his willingness to learn, and his eagerness to succeed.

he should get all of JJ's minutes now IMO. And indeed, he will slip into the rotation next year for sure I'd imagine, even if Demar, Ross, and Carroll are still here. But good insurance in case one of them is traded or walks.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                        he should get all of JJ's minutes now IMO. And indeed, he will slip into the rotation next year for sure I'd imagine, even if Demar, Ross, and Carroll are still here. But good insurance in case one of them is traded or walks.
                        Disagree.

Against teams with a good scoring 2 and an offensively weaker 3, Powell is perfect. He covers the 2 and DD the 3. Against teams like the Knicks, Cavs Pistons with tough 3's, DD will get destroyed. That's when you need JJ until Carroll returns at least.
                        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                          Disagree.

Against teams with a good scoring 2 and an offensively weaker 3, Powell is perfect. He covers the 2 and DD the 3. Against teams like the Knicks, Cavs Pistons with tough 3's, DD will get destroyed. That's when you need JJ until Carroll returns at least.
                          I really could care less if JJ sees the floor at all. And with all the call on these forums for young guys to get minutes, there is no better option than Powell for JJ IMO. Also, the eye test suggests to me that Demar puts forth greater defensive effort when he is guarding the tougher matchup.

Comment

I can't really explain why, but I'm really rooting for Powell to crack the rotation. I love his humble attitude, his willingness to learn, and his eagerness to succeed.

Powell in some ways is the exact opposite of Ross. Not particularly talented, but hell bent on making the most of what he has. He plays so hard that you can't help but cheer for the guy and want for him to succeed. But Ross just has that one thing which will always keep him in the NBA. A god given gift to shoot.

Comment

I'll never understand the desire in the Raptors fanbase to trade players that are just starting to reach their potential. JV's starting to look like a future all-star? Every Raps fan putting him in trade scenarios.

Ross starting to look like a solid 3&D guy who could either start or be a fantastic 6th man? Let's trade him!

How about we keep some of these quality players?
                              twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                                I'll never understand the desire in the Raptors fanbase to trade players that are just starting to reach their potential. JV's starting to look like a future all-star? Every Raps fan putting him in trade scenarios.

Ross starting to look like a solid 3&D guy who could either start or be a fantastic 6th man? Let's trade him!

How about we keep some of these quality players?
                                Well, at some point you have to cut ties with a player or two in order to improve the roster. Unless you feel we've got a perfectly assembled roster already.

Comment

Working...
                                X