• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We could throw the max at Jimmy Butler

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
      We could throw the max at Jimmy Butler
      It would be completely pointless, the Bulls would match. But they would probably make us wait 3 days just to screw us up. They are offering an even bigger max to Jimmy Butler themselves, he's just not in a hurry to take it, he wants less years.

Same with Kawhi, the Spurs will match. Probably same with Middleton and the Bucks.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
        Yep, he could tone down his jump shots a little. On the upside, teams always respect it. There are players who shoot in the .40-.45 range from midrange and teams don't pay much attention to them. Aldrige always has 1 big on him and usually a help defender close by even when he's off the ball. You don't respect him enough, he won't take a jump shot, he will post up or drive. Teams end up overhelping, often defending him with centers with another guy close by at all times. It distorts defenses, leaves people open even when he doesn't have the ball.

I think he's also developed into one of the better defensive bigs in the league.

I also don't love too much midrange shots, and I think DeMar isn't an ideal fit in that situation with him, DeMar would probably have to be replaced with some shooter to better take advantage of teams overplaying Aldridge at all times. But overall I think he's a massive upgrade for this team.
        I appreciate the spirit of the move. But I think Aldridge is a tier lower or so than most probably do, and thus despite the intent, signing him doesn't feel like a move that really makes us a contender. Feels more like making the splashy move than making the right one.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
          It would be completely pointless, the Bulls would match. But they would probably make us wait 3 days just to screw us up. They are offering an even bigger max to Jimmy Butler themselves, he's just not in a hurry to take it, he wants less years.

Same with Kawhi, the Spurs will match. Probably same with Middleton and the Bucks.
          Though I think with Middleton, it's a "gotta see it to believe it" situation. I can picture Milwaukee matching, but I can also picture all this talk of matching anything as blowing smoke to try and scare teams from offering something they don't want to match.

Comment

Offer Tobias Harris a big contract and package T Ross for someone like Favours or Faried

Comment

I don't want either back.

Amir <<< Age

Lou <<< Requires the ball too much = stagnant offence + not a great defender
              #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                I appreciate the spirit of the move. But I think Aldridge is a tier lower or so than most probably do, and thus despite the intent, signing him doesn't feel like a move that really makes us a contender. Feels more like making the splashy move than making the right one.
                I guess we just value them differently, I think he's one of 7 or so best bigs in the league. Worst case scenario, you have a trade asset in a perennial all star. Raptors become a better team, and they still have some flexibility to make moves using DeMar and other assets, plus some cap space next year. The East is pretty open, I think this team should have a very good chance to make it to the conference finals, and after that you never know, it depends on luck, injuries, matchups. This team has never even been to the conference finals though, so it in itself would be something special.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  Though I think with Middleton, it's a "gotta see it to believe it" situation. I can picture Milwaukee matching, but I can also picture all this talk of matching anything as blowing smoke to try and scare teams from offering something they don't want to match.
                  Maybe. I don't know. IMO, them moving Brandon Knight was a sign that they plan to spend on Middleton.

Tbh, I don't love Middleton as much as most. A very nice fit for this team and young, so if the Raptors offer him a contract, fine. But I don't think of him as a future star. So with the 3 day delay, the risk of missing out on good deals, and the very high likelihood that the Bucks will match, I think Ujiri should simply look another way.

Comment

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/06/26...nd-this-summer

wolstat actually had a pretty good article about this kind of thing.

btw i want absolutely nothing to do with the idea of re-signing any of our guys. that money can be put to better use.

and amir is one of my favorite all-time raps
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Does Ross + our first in 2015 and the lotto protected 1st in 2017 we got from the Bucks (actually clips) get you Favors? And is it worth it?

I think it is, Favors could be the PF of the future for us.

If we don't land a solid PF like Favors I'm ok with resigning Amir in a back up role behind PPat. Not sure he'd bite though.
                      Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                      Because its 2015

Comment

Who would you guys rather have as the backup center? Amir or Koufos?

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                          Offer Tobias Harris a big contract and package T Ross for someone like Favours or Faried
                          I like Favors, but Utah has put so much effort trying to get the most out of his upside, I doubt they would be willing to part with him.

Comment

I don't have the exact quote but Doug Smith said that the raptors may use the money in a trade instead of signing mediocre FA.

Comment

It all depends on who we sign, but we do need either Lou or someone else to be a scoring guard off the bench, because replacing Vasquez with Wright will hurt us there.
                              The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
                                It all depends on who we sign, but we do need either Lou or someone else to be a scoring guard off the bench, because replacing Vasquez with Wright will hurt us there.
                                Ross could be that scoring punch off the bench.

Comment

Working...
                                X