A few bigs who MIGHT become available this summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few bigs who MIGHT become available this summer

I was thinking about LaMarcus Aldridge and Kevin Love situations. I think it could create a few good opportunities for us, depending on where they go.

OPTION 1. San Antonio.

I think the Spurs are the perfect team for Aldridge, and there were rumors that they might go after him. If they do, they will need to dump either Boris Diaw or Splitter. Diaw would be much harder to move. So,

Raptors get Tiago Splitter for cap space.

What Splitter does for this team... Defense, rebounding. Splitter is not elite at any one aspect of defense, but he's one of the most versatile defensive bigs in the league. You are facing a good low post scorer? Splitter has length and plays hard enough to bother them. You are facing a great pick and pop shooter / stretch 4? Splitter is quick enough to hedge and recover on these guys. Only a handful of players in the league can do it.

Splitter could be the backup behind Jonas, and I think he would work fine with Jonas. He provides no shooting, but I think his defensive value outweighs it. Besides, he can be very effective offensively as a pick and roll big... IF this team can be smart enough to utilize that.

OPTION 2. Houston.

If Love or Aldridge decide to go to Houston, Houston will need to dump Ariza's contract. So,

Ariza, Motiejunas, Prigioni, Dorsey for cap space

Well, this feels a bit too greedy. I guess the Raptors might have to add some pick into this. Or maybe Houston gets desperate and they just take this deal.

The Raptors get a 3D veteran in Ariza on a reasonable enough contract, considering his play last year. But probably the real prize is Motiejunas. He has developed well, and he looks like a solid young starting PF now. He can shoot some, he moves the ball. If the other team goes small, he can take the smaller guy into the post and punish him. He's in the right spots defensively. I think he doesn't really make you better defensively, but he doesn't make you worse either.

OPTION 3. Minnesota.

This has nothing to do with Love or Aldridge. The Wolves seem to be trying to dump some salaries. Maybe they are looking to sign a few role players and make a run at the playoffs. So,

Gorgui Dieng, Anthony Bennett, Chase Budinger for Terrence Ross and cap space.

This is probably wishful thinking. But the Wolves do gain something like 9 mil of cap space. Ross is a shooter, which is an area of need for them. Gorgui Dieng MIGHT be expendable now that they've drafted Towns.

The Raptors get Gorgui Dieng. I think he's at the very least a very nice 3rd big on a playoff team. BUT I think there's a chance that he develops into our starting PF. He needs to increase his shooting range a little. And he improved his shooting a little compared to last year, so maybe that could happen. Otherwise, there's a lot to like here. He rebounds, challenges shots, he's pretty mobile, long, he plays hard. He's a solid passer and will find the open guy if he grabs a rebound or what not.

If he stays who he is, then he's still a very good piece to have, and I think worth sacrificing that cap space and Ross for one year. If he improves a little bit, then you have the long term starting PF.

Anthony Bennett and Chase Budinger are just salary dumps. If they give Raptors a few quality minutes, great. If not, it's ok.

Isn't Splitter a poor defender?
    Motiejunas value has increased significantly, although he had a serious back injury at the end of the season. According to reports, if Aldridge would choose Houston, it's more likely that T. Jones would be available rather than D-Mo. Also, Rockets are stacked with bigs, maybe Harrel would be available?
    As for Minnesota, I don't think they want to trade Deng, but Bennett would be available. Not sure if there will be a lot of suitors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    MeDar ReDozan

Comment

Henry_Chinaski wrote: View Post
      Motiejunas value has increased significantly, although he had a serious back injury at the end of the season. According to reports, if Aldridge would choose Houston, it's more likely that T. Jones would be available rather than D-Mo. Also, Rockets are stacked with bigs, maybe Harrel would be available?
      As for Minnesota, I don't think they want to trade Deng, but Bennett would be available. Not sure if there will be a lot of suitors.

If Splitter was a poor defender he wouldn't get any minutes since he's not in there for his offense

Comment

Henry_Chinaski wrote: View Post

Yep, I'm sure that the Rockets would want to move Jones. But I don't like Jones, so I'd push for Motiejunas, assuming his health checks out. If they get desperate to clear cap space, maybe they give Motiejunas up. If not, I guess I'd take Jones with Ariza. But Jones is just not a smart player, watching him play every day would piss me off. I think this team needs someone smarter, someone who knows where to be on offense and especially defense, and someone who can make the right pass.

Motiejunas had a back problem in his first or second year as well, so maybe there's a potential chronic condition. But still, he's a good player, small salary, it's a good risk unless the doctors say he's going to miss the season or such.

I don't care about Bennett, I wouldn't give up cap space for him. The way the CBA works, if Bennett breaks out next year, you most likely won't be able to re-sign him, UNLESS you pick up his 4th year option blindly this summer. So trading cap space for Bennett is all risk, little reward. I think the Wolves will have to add something good if they want to dump him for cap space.
        Last edited by BobLoblaw; Sun Jun 28, 2015, 07:59 AM.

Comment

About D-Mo: it was his first surgery ever. Hopefully he recovers, he's not going to play for a national team this summer, because he wants to be 100% ready for the new season. Rockets want to keep him because he can play both positions, C and PF. But I agree that if Rockets get desperate to clear cap space anything can happen.
          About Jones: he's a better rebounder and shot blocker than D-Mo, and two years younger. But he had several injuries and he started to shy away from contact, lacks aggressiveness.
          If healthy, both players are intriguing and could play in a starting PF position.

MeDar ReDozan

Comment

Yep, to be clear, it's the first surgery. But I could've sworn that he missed games due to his back in the first or second season. MAYBE I'm confusing him with someone else though.

I don't believe in Jones as a starting PF, he would be a downgrade I think. I think Patterson is a better player right now, so is Amir. My main issue with Jones is that he's in the wrong spots defensively, and I didn't see improvement on that end in 3 years. I think he's just not a smart player, likely not a hard worker. An occasional block is nice, but overall I think he'd make defense worse. So I'd take him if Motiejunas can't be had, since I still want Ariza regardless.

Plus Jones likes to kick hobos in the street during summers.

My preference of what I would like added to Ariza in such a deal: 1. Motiejunas. 2. (distant second) A 1st round pick. 3. (meh, but I'll take him I guess) Terrence Jones.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
              I was thinking about LaMarcus Aldridge and Kevin Love situations. I think it could create a few good opportunities for us, depending on where they go.

OPTION 1. San Antonio.

I think the Spurs are the perfect team for Aldridge, and there were rumors that they might go after him. If they do, they will need to dump either Boris Diaw or Splitter. Diaw would be much harder to move. So,

Raptors get Tiago Splitter for cap space.

What Splitter does for this team... Defense, rebounding. Splitter is not elite at any one aspect of defense, but he's one of the most versatile defensive bigs in the league. You are facing a good low post scorer? Splitter has length and plays hard enough to bother them. You are facing a great pick and pop shooter / stretch 4? Splitter is quick enough to hedge and recover on these guys. Only a handful of players in the league can do it.

Splitter could be the backup behind Jonas, and I think he would work fine with Jonas. He provides no shooting, but I think his defensive value outweighs it. Besides, he can be very effective offensively as a pick and roll big... IF this team can be smart enough to utilize that.

OPTION 2. Houston.

If Love or Aldridge decide to go to Houston, Houston will need to dump Ariza's contract. So,

Ariza, Motiejunas, Prigioni, Dorsey for cap space

Well, this feels a bit too greedy. I guess the Raptors might have to add some pick into this. Or maybe Houston gets desperate and they just take this deal.

The Raptors get a 3D veteran in Ariza on a reasonable enough contract, considering his play last year. But probably the real prize is Motiejunas. He has developed well, and he looks like a solid young starting PF now. He can shoot some, he moves the ball. If the other team goes small, he can take the smaller guy into the post and punish him. He's in the right spots defensively. I think he doesn't really make you better defensively, but he doesn't make you worse either.

OPTION 3. Minnesota.

This has nothing to do with Love or Aldridge. The Wolves seem to be trying to dump some salaries. Maybe they are looking to sign a few role players and make a run at the playoffs. So,

Gorgui Dieng, Anthony Bennett, Chase Budinger for Terrence Ross and cap space.

This is probably wishful thinking. But the Wolves do gain something like 9 mil of cap space. Ross is a shooter, which is an area of need for them. Gorgui Dieng MIGHT be expendable now that they've drafted Towns.

The Raptors get Gorgui Dieng. I think he's at the very least a very nice 3rd big on a playoff team. BUT I think there's a chance that he develops into our starting PF. He needs to increase his shooting range a little. And he improved his shooting a little compared to last year, so maybe that could happen. Otherwise, there's a lot to like here. He rebounds, challenges shots, he's pretty mobile, long, he plays hard. He's a solid passer and will find the open guy if he grabs a rebound or what not.

If he stays who he is, then he's still a very good piece to have, and I think worth sacrificing that cap space and Ross for one year. If he improves a little bit, then you have the long term starting PF.

Anthony Bennett and Chase Budinger are just salary dumps. If they give Raptors a few quality minutes, great. If not, it's ok.
              My opinion is to choose # 2 with Houston, instead of Donatus can I have TJones and can we give up JJ, $12 million plus for 4 million. That would leave $15-16 million to sign Wes Matthews.

Comment

Andrea Bargnani is a former #1 overall coming off a down year due to injury and playing in the new Knicks triangle. Can shoot a little and isn't a terrible post defender. A seven footer with range but some rebounding issues.

Comment

Amir Johnson
                  Last prep to pro drafted player. Sollid defensively but nothing flashy. Has had ankle issues and working on a three pointer.

Coming up: Ed Davis, Alexis Ajincia

Comment

I'll take Montiejunas if he's packaged with Ariza, and Ariza could be our SF for next year and Montie could be our stretch 4-5. Could be used as an interesting option for new line ups.
                    #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

Are the Rockets shopping Ariza after one year? The only guy I've heard mentioned is Jones

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                        Are the Rockets shopping Ariza after one year? The only guy I've heard mentioned is Jones
                        Like I wrote in the first post of this thread, this situation could only be possible if they agree to a contract with Aldrige or such. They aren't even allowed to speak with Aldridge, Love, Millsap etc until July, so there was no reason to shop Ariza yet.

Ariza is a good enough player for his contract, and he's an important role player for them. If they don't get a major free agent to sign with them and don't need cap space, I'm sure they'll keep him.

Comment

Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
                          My opinion is to choose # 2 with Houston, instead of Donatus can I have TJones and can we give up JJ, $12 million plus for 4 million. That would leave $15-16 million to sign Wes Matthews.
                          I prefer Motiejunas much more than Jones. Also, I wouldn't touch Matthews with a 10 foot pole right now, unless it's a short deal for midlevel or such.

Comment

I don't think they'll trade Ariza. He would be perfect next to whichever big they get in FA. They'll try to clear up space elsewhere (if possible).

Also, I'd rather take TJones instead of Montiejonas. I always liked him as a SF/PF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
                              I don't think they'll trade Ariza. He would be perfect next to whichever big they get in FA. They'll try to clear up space elsewhere (if possible).

Also, I'd rather take TJones instead of Montiejonas. I always liked him as a SF/PF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              It might be possible if Aldridge signs for a smaller contract this year, i.e. not max. Otherwise, if he wants max, they have to move Ariza. IF Houston moves absolutely everyone not named James Harden, Dwight Howard and Trevor Ariza, they still can't offer Aldridge a max contract.

It might be attractive for Aldridge to take a one year deal at below max, re-sign next year to another one year deal, and finally take a long big contract two years from now, kind of like LeBron is doing. At that point the cap will be higher, plus he will be a 10+ year veteran, so his max would be bigger.

BUT Aldridge can do the exact same 1 year thing on other teams, and still get max contract this year. So it all depends on how much he likes Houston compared to other options, would he want to take a paycut.

Comment

Working...
                              X