Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think Toronto's big pitch should be (and this is going to sound so, so sad but hear me out) "Come to the east and be a contender the rest of your career!"

literally

lets say he signs a 4 year deal and we keep lowry/jv with him along with whatever other guys.. then we're a contender in the east. the rest of his career is basically an open window to making the finals.

SA imho is his best option but i think we honestly offer more than Dallas or LA, if winning is your thing. maybe it isn't? we'll see.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
      i think Toronto's big pitch should be (and this is going to sound so, so sad but hear me out) "Come to the east and be a contender the rest of your career!"

literally

lets say he signs a 4 year deal and we keep lowry/jv with him along with whatever other guys.. then we're a contender in the east. the rest of his career is basically an open window to making the finals.

SA imho is his best option but i think we honestly offer more than Dallas or LA, if winning is your thing. maybe it isn't? we'll see.
      I don't think he's looking for a 4 year deal. I say max him out for a year plus player option and just tell him, we'll max you again for 3 more years once the cap jumps.
      Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
      Because its 2015

Comment

Swing and a miss:

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
        This is such a ridiculous break down.

Point 1) "location is important so he wouldn't come to toronto" - really? That's why he's considering the shirty ass city that is San Antonio. The city or Toronto is world class, stars love coming here. The reason free agents never came to toronto is that we were always a disorganized mess with no competent leadership or direction. That's changed now, so your first point is BUSTED (myth busters)
        Because he's American and we have a pretty good history now of American players who love Toronto but do not want to live in Toronto because quite simply its in Canada and not America. Toronto's location has seemed to be a hurtle at times, fact. As per your lead into your post, I think the only thing busted here is your calmness. Easy now, we can discuss this without kicking dirt in each other's faces, right?

Point 2) "the coach sucks ass" - yeah, maybe. Or it could be that he had a flawed roster to work with (no defense and chuckers, which Masai admitted is on him), had a freak injury to DeMar which led to Kyle getting worn down. Sure the offense wasn't the greatest, but it did match the type of players on the team. How is that the coaches fault? Listen, I think Casey is flawed and makes dumb mistakes, but not to the point that he is a deterrent to stars wanting to come here. Hell, he might even be a plus because he'll let the star do what they want to maximize their skill set. That's a good thing when you have a TRUE star. So point 2 is BUSTED.
        I'm not going to debate you on Casey but I will say this, we're talking perception here. Selling the Toronto Raptors to an outsider. He's not going to know every little detail that you know and he's not going to have the same perspective you do. He may not come to the same conclusion that you have. The media isn't breaking down the door raving about Coach Casey though and so it gets back to my point. If he's interested in a coach taking him to the next level, Toronto ain't on his list.

Point 3) "he won't come to toronto because they were shitty in the past" - I'm not sure what this has to do with the direction of the team now. It's a bad arguement and is BUSTED on it's own.
        It has nothing to do with where the team is right now, you're right. Yet the reputation has been "earned", no fault of Ujiri. It's there, Toronto has stunk for a very long time and has a reputation of it's stars wanting out (Mighty Mouse, T-Mac, Carter, Bosh...Blah, blah, blah, I know.). You're trying to present a point of logic. Logic would tell you that things are different now but humans are emotional creatures, not robots. You must also consider the psychology of it all. Toronto is known for being a bad franchise and has a very small window of very, very minor success with Ujiri.

1) He instantly becomes the face of the all star game (like Melo was in New York)
        Good point but he's also an adult and probably is not going to make a huge life changing decision on one fun night out.
        2) Raps can sign him to a max offer without dismantling their team (like San Antonio and Houston would have to)
        The Spurs and Rockets have the history which has earned them both a strong reputation in the league. That may buy them them goodwill because a player has faith in their management team to work out the details to make it work. Why? Because they've done it before. "Been there, done that" carries weight. It does.

3) the raptors (as is) have real talent he could step into and play with. He fills a legitimate hole in the team and will not have to sacrifice anything. He comes in and he's automatically the #1 option (unlike LA and the Knicks)
        I agree.

4) the new training facility and toronto having the potential to become an offseason destination for players to come and train. He could be THE host for other stars that want to train in toronto in the offseason. The $30million dollar training facility is something most NBA teams will never have.

Etc etc
        True but there are many, many good faculties in the United States of America, come on.

Comment

When was the last time the Raptors made it out of the first round? How many times have they made the semi's? Have they ever advanced past the semi's? How many times have they even made the playoffs? This the kind of negative history they'd have to navigate around with this sort of themed sales pitch. It's full of danger I'd imagine.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            When was the last time the Raptors made it out of the first round? How many times have they made the semi's? Have they ever advanced past the semi's? How many times have they even made the playoffs? This the kind of negative history they'd have to navigate around this sort of themed sales pitch. It's full of danger I'd imagine.
            Assuming Aldridge is a logical thinker, the response would be, "how many times has Toronto had a LeMarcus Aldridge in the past? Zero? Ok, then comparing Toronto's past, to Toronto's future is apples to oranges."

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Assuming Aldridge is a logical thinker, the response would be, "how many times has Toronto had a LeMarcus Aldridge in the past? Zero? Ok, then comparing Toronto's past, to Toronto's future is apples to oranges."
              How many friends does Aldirdge have who are telling him not to make the mistake of going to Toronto? Probably one for sure. Firsthand account is considered by a logical thinker, correct?

Comment

How many friends does Aldirdge have who are telling him not to make the mistake of going to Toronto? Probably one for sure. Firsthand account is considered by a logical thinker, correct?
                Pure speculation on your part on what Bosh might say.

But yes, a logical thinker would take advice from others, but NOT at the expense of one's own research.

Comment

When was the last time the Raptors made it out of the first round? How many times have they made the semi's? Have they ever advanced past the semi's? How many times have they even made the playoffs? This the kind of negative history they'd have to navigate around with this sort of themed sales pitch. It's full of danger I'd imagine.
                  yeah but all he has to do is look at the roster and how we made the playoffs despite not having 50 wins the last two seasons. a player of his quality has to know he'd put a team like ours over the top.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

@Apollo,

I think that in the past American players might have wanted to leave Toronto, but I don't think that's the case anymore.

The Face of the All Star game isn't a one night thing. Melo was all over the news for months leading up to the All Star game. His face was plastered over every advertisement for it. Professional athletes are ego maniacs. You have to be, you have to crave and love the attention (with some exceptions like Kawhi). But for the most part being a quiet star is not what being a professional athlete is all about. Increasing your brand and being the face of a franchise or an all star game I think carries more weight than you're giving credit for.

Then again, I'm just a guy on the internet, so who knows? Lol
                    Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                    Because its 2015

Comment

Pure speculation on your part on what Bosh might say.

But yes, a logical thinker would take advice from others, but NOT at the expense of one's own research.
                      Personally, when I'm making a decision I do my research and I talk to people who have experience that I trust. If I'm on the fence or undecided then their advice is going to weigh heavier. Yeah, I don't know what Bosh would say but based on what I do know I would lean more to the side of him not giving a shining endorsement. And really, most of this thread and many others is speculation so come on Nilanka... Shame on me, shame on everybody.

Comment

Personally, when I'm making a decision I do my research and I talk to people who have experience that I trust. If I'm on the fence or undecided then their advice is going to weigh heavier. Yeah, I don't know what Bosh would say but based on what I do know I would lean more to the side of him not giving a shining endorsement. And really, most of this thread and many others is speculation so come on Nilanka... Shame on me, shame on everybody.
                        Yes, we're all speculating. But you're putting words in Bosh's mouth to help form your opinion.

Comment

Yes, we're all speculating. But you're putting words in Bosh's mouth to help form your opinion.
                          No, I'm not putting words in his mouth. I'm speculating on his views of the organization based on everything that happened during the lead up to him leaving and all things after his departure.

Comment

Dude's been living in Portland. Dodging penny-farthings on the way to the arena, hanging out at the feminist bookstore... Toronto is going to feel downright mainstream American by comparison.

Comment

yeah but all he has to do is look at the roster and how we made the playoffs despite not having 50 wins the last two seasons. a player of his quality has to know he'd put a team like ours over the top.
                              You could be right. I'm sure its something he'd consider if Toronto is on his serious list of candidates.

Comment

LMA and Demar would be the best 1-2 punch of deep 2pt jumpers ... whether that's good or bad.

Since most free agents are looking for 1-2 year deals before the new massive expected cap raises, why not spend those 2 years by joining an all-star backcourt in the weaker conference ... and take a few easy runs at the conference finals?
                                The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Working...
                                X