This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McRealistic wrote: View Post
    Based on ESPN.com ( C.B) The top 3 team that have a chance of landing LA, if he decides to leave Portland are:

1) SA
    2) Dallas
    3) Lakers

They also said he might get a cold feet about leaving 30 million on the table and not leave but I guess the tax situation in Texas can reduce the blow when it comes to losing money.
    C.B?

The problem with signing with SA is they have to gut their roster, including their only center, in order to sign Aldridge, who absolutely does not want to play center. They'd need to waive Ginobili and straight salary dump Splitter and Diaw, while asking Leonard and Green to sit on their thumbs until LA is signed. We're the only team that has a legit Center to play next to him, and we also have 2 all star level players in addition to that center. If he wants a max deal + best chance to win then we are the leaders.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
      C.B?

The problem with signing with SA is they have to gut their roster, including their only center, in order to sign Aldridge, who absolutely does not want to play center. They'd need to waive Ginobili and straight salary dump Splitter and Diaw, while asking Leonard and Green to sit on their thumbs until LA is signed. We're the only team that has a legit Center to play next to him, and we also have 2 all star level players in addition to that center. If he wants a max deal + best chance to win then we are the leaders.
      Are you sure about the SA situation ? Based on what I am reading, it is only the Splitter Salary that they need to dump to creat enough room for LA.

I am really hoping you are right because that would make the SA signing very difficult.

Comment

McRealistic wrote: View Post
        Are you sure about the SA situation ? Based on what I am reading, it is only the Splitter Salary that they need to dump to creat enough room for LA.

I am really hoping you are right because that would make the SA signing very difficult.
        I'm positive, I did the breakdown in the free agency thread.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
          Don't get too excited. Aldridge will sign in LA. He's the Lakers #1 target. There's a reason why they took Russell in the draft instead of Okafor.
          The problem with him signing with all of the other teams including LA is that either they don't have a true 5 or they all have a true 4 in their current rosters. He pretty much has a sweet parking spot in TO alongside a true centre in JV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
            The problem with him signing with all of the other teams including LA is that either they don't have a true 5 or they all have a true 4 in their current rosters. He pretty much has a sweet parking spot in TO alongside a true centre in JV.

There are a million reasons to not sign with LA and almost no reasons to do so. TREX is under the impression LA is still a super desirable landing spot, when it's been turned down by free agent after free agent for a few years now. No one wants to play with the re-animated corpse of Kobe Bryant and some rookies who haven't played an NBA minute. Maybe next year if Russell turns out to be amazing, but I suspect LA will be building for a few years before they're relevant again.

Comment

"LMA: "You could've drafted me in 2006. That would be all, thanks for coming by.""

LMAO...THAT WAS FKIN AWESOME!! LMAO

Henry_Chinaski wrote: View Post
              Has any of you considered that the interview might end up in a couple of sentences and it would go something like this:
              LMA: "You could've drafted me in 2006. That would be all, thanks for coming by."

Jokes aside, Spurs have one thing to offer other teams can't: a legitimate shot at championship and that is why it's the best option for him. There are some question marks though: will they be able to bring back other important pieces and what happens if Spurs don't win the title in 2016? Manu and Tim might (very likely) retire after the next season and although they'd still be a great team, it would be much more difficult to go after a title without them. LMA has 4-5 year window.

If Rockets want to sign him, they would have to get rid of few players and would end up with glaring holes in SF and PG. Then they won't be able to pay up D-Mo or T. Jones next year (whoever stays with Rockets). Close but no cigar.

He would have to play as C in Dallas and they'd still have to get a starting SG and PG after signing him. Not happening.

Suns - no stars, no chance.

LA, NY - huge markets, great places to be, but NY is still a lost cause, LA is building a young team - no place for a 30 year old who wants to win now.

He can go back to Portland, but there're reports, that he doesn't wanna play there anymore. There're so many reports, that nobody really knows what is true and what is not.

Finally - Raptors. As many of you, I see Raps as a 2nd or 3rd best option (2nd if he doesn't want to return to Portland). But even with LMA Raptors are short to legitimate title contention. And there's more taxes in Canada vs. no taxes in the state of Texas.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post

But according to Casey, the "true center" is extinct so having JV wouldn't be any advantage. LMA would be the center. And does LMA know how to scramble? This has the makings of a disaster. Basically, we'd be getting a really expensive offensive rebounder.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                  But according to Casey, the "true center" is extinct so having JV wouldn't be any advantage. LMA would be the center. And does LMA know how to scramble? This has the makings of a disaster. Basically, we'd be getting a really expensive offensive rebounder.
                  LMA wouldn't come here if we wanted him to play center. He doesn't want to play the 5.

Comment

Three Strikes

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                    I don't want to get too excited about potentially signing Aldridge but as we have a sit down with him this week I really hope DD and KL attend this meeting and give Aldridge the full court press. This is a new area for the Raptors. A lineup of KL/DD/TR/LA/JV could be pretty good with JJ/LW coming off the bench.
                    Well, Aldridge is good friends with Bosh, is he not? I know they used to train together in the off-season (don't know if they still do). He would have a pretty good handle on what to expect in Toronto based on Bosh's experiences and that probably doesn't paint the team in the best light considering Bosh bailed.

Here are my thoughts:
                    • He wouldn't come to Toronto if he's focused on location because Toronto is not exactly high on the list for Americans based on everything I've learned over the years.
                    • He wouldn't come to Toronto if he's focused on finding the right coach to help take his game to the next level for obvious reasons.
                    • He wouldn't come to Toronto if he's focused on winning because we all know that Toronto's track record stinks and is not to be trusted.

The only reason I can envision him coming to Toronto would be for money but there is competition in that category and so my answer to you is: no way, not happening.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      : no way, not happening.
                      Yup. Move along.... nothing to see here....

Comment

Well, Aldridge is good friends with Bosh, is he not? I know they used to train together in the off-season (don't know if they still do). He would have a pretty good handle on what to expect in Toronto based on Bosh's experiences and that probably doesn't paint the team in the best light considering Bosh bailed.

Here are my thoughts:
                        • He wouldn't come to Toronto if he's focused on location because Toronto is not exactly high on the list for Americans based on everything I've learned over the years.
                        • He wouldn't come to Toronto if he's focused on finding the right coach to help take his game to the next level for obvious reasons.
                        • He wouldn't come to Toronto if he's focused on winning because we all know that Toronto's track record stinks and is not to be trusted.

The only reason I can envision him coming to Toronto would be for money but there is competition in that category and so my answer to you is: no way, not happening.
                        I'll adress your points in order.

1.) Toronto is a more desirable location than San Antonio.

2.) Casey is bad coach, this is true

3.) Toronto is set up better to win now than his other options with our roster and being in the East

Bosh's experience were under the old regime, no Leiweke, no Masai. I don't think Bosh's opinion on Toronto is really relevant anymore. Not to mention it seemed like Bosh liked it here, he just wanted to win titles with the big 3 instead of the mess BC built around him.

Comment

Here are my thoughts:

One can easily come up with 3 negative points describing any of Aldridge's other options.

I'm not saying he's likely to sign in Toronto, but to outright dismiss it isn't painting a fair/balanced picture.

Comment

I'll adress your points in order.

2.) Casey is bad coach, this is true

3.) Toronto is set up better to win now than his other options with our roster and being in the East

Bosh's experience were under the old regime, no Leiweke, no Masai. I don't think Bosh's opinion on Toronto is really relevant anymore. Not to mention it seemed like Bosh liked it here, he just wanted to win titles with the big 3 instead of the mess BC built around him.
                            Bosh hates Toronto so much, he chose to sign a 2nd contract here, lol. And then he wrote a book about how Toronto sucks and sent copies to all his NBA friends.

Guys, we're not signing Aldridge because he's friends with a former player.

Comment

Says who? The Spurs are arguably the greatest franchise of the current era.

That doesn't change what's happened in the past; it doesn't change the perception of the franchise. What you're saying is also a matter of opinion, that of which Aldridge and his agent may or may not agree. They(the Raptors) did just get their asses handed to them in embarrassing fashion.

Couple points. 1.) Yet another dude in the bosses chair does not dispel a poor franchise reputation built upon a foundation of embarrassing history. 2.) Bosh has his ring and yet I don't see or hear about him clamoring to come back.

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              One can easily come up with 3 negative points describing any of Aldridge's other options.

I'm not saying he's likely to sign in Toronto, but to outright dismiss it isn't painting a fair/balanced picture.
                              Oh, I'm being fair. There are better options even if I give those options a good kick to the midsection three times as well. If we're talking about him picking the "lesser evil" then Toronto ain't it.

Comment

Here are my thoughts:

This is such a ridiculous break down.

Point 1) "location is important so he wouldn't come to toronto" - really? That's why he's considering the shirty ass city that is San Antonio. The city or Toronto is world class, stars love coming here. The reason free agents never came to toronto is that we were always a disorganized mess with no competent leadership or direction. That's changed now, so your first point is BUSTED (myth busters)

Point 2) "the coach sucks ass" - yeah, maybe. Or it could be that he had a flawed roster to work with (no defense and chuckers, which Masai admitted is on him), had a freak injury to DeMar which led to Kyle getting worn down. Sure the offense wasn't the greatest, but it did match the type of players on the team. How is that the coaches fault? Listen, I think Casey is flawed and makes dumb mistakes, but not to the point that he is a deterrent to stars wanting to come here. Hell, he might even be a plus because he'll let the star do what they want to maximize their skill set. That's a good thing when you have a TRUE star. So point 2 is BUSTED.

Point 3) "he won't come to toronto because they were shitty in the past" - I'm not sure what this has to do with the direction of the team now. It's a bad arguement and is BUSTED on it's own.

Now how about some reasons he would come here

1) He instantly becomes the face of the all star game (like Melo was in New York)
                                2) Raps can sign him to a max offer without dismantling their team (like San Antonio and Houston would have to)
                                3) the raptors (as is) have real talent he could step into and play with. He fills a legitimate hole in the team and will not have to sacrifice anything. He comes in and he's automatically the #1 option (unlike LA and the Knicks)
                                4) the new training facility and toronto having the potential to become an offseason destination for players to come and train. He could be THE host for other stars that want to train in toronto in the offseason. The $30million dollar training facility is something most NBA teams will never have.

Etc etc
                                Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                                Because its 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X