Rank this offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far it's a B, maybe a B-

Front office stuff has been an A, we got the D-League team, practice facility is almost done. It would be an A+ but I want to see those jerseys first.

Coaching has been a C-, borderline D. Casey's still here, we struck out on a bunch of our targets for assistant coaches, ended up hiring guys that might've been our 6th or 7th targets.

Free Agency has been an A-. Demarre signing was quick and great, Lamarcus meeting supposedly left him impressed which is all you can ask, CoJo signed a couple hours after becoming a FA, good short deals for BB and Scola. Not a higher grade because I'm disappointed we couldn't get Wes Mathews (not even sure if he fit or if Demarre at the 4 would work but just seemed like a guy we should've been able to land had we really wanted to, and we didn't).

Other Roster moves are a B-. Draft was pretty good, we didn't manage to get a PF, Vasquez was turned into a decent asset.

Comment

Offseason gets a solid B

Positives:
      -Biyombo on a cheap contract
      - Not resigning Lou
      - Trading Vasquez for a 1st and Powell
      - DeMarre
      - Cojo

Negatives -
      - Not firing Casey
      - Firing Sterner
      - Still a hole at PF
      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Would you trade Gibson for PPat straight up if you are Chicago. The Bulls need a 4 who can score from the 3 point line.

Comment

Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
          Would you trade Gibson for PPat straight up if you are Chicago. The Bulls need a 4 who can score from the 3 point line.
          I think the Bulls would want/need wing players so Ross would have to be the starting point.

Comment

B+

I'm all in with this squad.

Comment

Thought I'd post the few grades I could find...

Fox Sports
              Offseason review: A strong offseason for the Raptors saw them add one of the most versatile wings in the NBA (Carroll) and a back-up point guard (Joseph) who fits their scheme better than Williams or Vasquez ever did (and, as a plus, is a native of Toronto). The Raptors wanted to rediscover their gritty identity, and both of those players will help.
              2015-16 season outlook: Expect the Raptors to once again contend for the Atlantic Division crown and homecourt advantage in the East.
              Grade: B+

Rant Sports
              With the dust now all but settled on NBA free agency, the Raptors are unlikely to make any more significant moves. But with the signings of both Carroll and Joseph, the Raptors have definitely made strides in improving their roster. While neither of these players were one of the absolute top players available this offseason, they will have a significant impact for the reigning Atlantic Division Champions.
              Grade: B+

CBS Offseason Winners
              Toronto improved itself by targeting specific weaknesses and avoiding overpays. The only player on big money long-term at this point is Carroll, which is a calculated risk from Masai Ujiri. Toronto's GM continues to hedge between winning with this core and looking to build a team in his vision. The Raptors' biggest culprit in the way they face-planted right out of the gate in the playoffs was their defense and guard depth.
              So Ujiri trades Greivis Vasquez, who's competent but limited, gets more-NBA-ready Wright and his athleticism in the draft, then adds scorer and shooter Joseph, who's a spark plug. He didn't pursue Lou Williams because he knows that with the way the Raptors scored, Williams was a spoiler on a race car more than an essential engine component. He lands Carroll to defend the perimeter and give Toronto an upgrade over Terrence Ross on the wing. And the Raptors brought in Biyombo on a cheap deal to provide rim protection, which they needed way more than Amir Johnson's hustle.
              These are all calculated risks. They're also ones that come with safeguards financially.

CBS Sports
              Moore: They needed defense. Letting Lou Williams walk was a great move, as was letting go of Amir Johnson. DeMarre Carroll may have been an overpay, but he also could be a younger, more flexible offensively Trevor Ariza, and he does what they need. Cory Joseph was terrific last year for San Antonio for both ends, worth the gamble for the Raptors. Grade: B+

Harper: The Raptors became major players in free agency by getting DeMarre Carroll to sign with them on a big deal. Then they replaced the loss of Vasquez in the backcourt with Cory Joseph on a really nice contract. They added Luis Scola and Bismack Biyombo in the frontcourt. This is a team that needed improvement on defense, and have built a roster with more versatility and more defensive potential. Grade: A-

Comment

Myself, I'd go A-

I really like how this team is shaping up!
                "Stop eating your sushi."
                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I'd give it an A- as well. I'm very excited with where this team is headed. Hopefully more playoffs + a top 10 pick (or better!?!), things are looking good in Raptor-land.
                  The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

I give it a solid B+. Hate the decision to retain Casey, and skeptical about Stackhouse as an AC. I like the other coaching hires.
                    Love the draft results, especially after seeing Powell in summer league.
                    Vasquez trade was great. Decisions not to keep Amir and Lou were the right decisions.
                    Carroll is a potentially solid fit, and fair value contract for 2016-onward. Joseph is a great pick-up. Overall, my biggest concern about Masai was that he might not sufficiently value basketball IQ, but everyone he picked up this summer except Biyombo is an average to high IQ guy. Player personnel-wise, this season improved both the short and long-term outlook for the team, although it didn't come close to elevating it to championship level. Acquisition of a high-level, young PF in addition to all the other moves, would have made this an A+ season, and that still may happen in-season.
                    D-league team, of course, is a great development, and I'm pleasantly surprised that they put it in Canada.

There's still some major questionmarks, particularly in terms of coaching. But I'm going to guess that Nurse is allowed more influence on the offense and Greer helps to come up with a new and improved defensive scheme. If those things are done, I think my concerns about retaining Casey can still be mitigated.

Comment

Think we did pretty well this offseason. Going to say B+ to A-. The grade is based on players added and assets acquired. We add yet another 1st round pick on the asset balance sheet to bring us to 4 ! over the next two drafts.
                      Backcourt
                      We got younger and much faster in the backcourt with the additions of Joseph, Powell and Wright. We added better defenders and finally some real speed. Speed is feared in all sports and we had nothing to speak of in that department last year. Our backcourt in a guards league is looking pretty good.
                      Frontcourt
                      We still have no bonafide starting PF. But with the addition of yet another first round pick (now we have 4 in the next two drafts) we have assets to position us to add one either through the draft or via trade. Ppat will be the starting 4 and will provide scoring. Scola if he can gear it up for one more campaign will give us better rebounding and perhaps hold classes on how to box out. I think you can slide a 5 dollar bill underneath his standing vertical but he is smart and positions himself well. A good locker room guy we do OK with him but he is a stop gap measure for sure. There will be a training camp battle for a spot and perhaps some minutes for Roberts and Kyser and Toupane. Who knows maybe one of these atheletes knows how to play basketball and we get something thats a pleasant suprise to help at the 4. Then again likely not. PF is a hole to be filled.

We really fixed the starting SF position with Carroll for the next few years that is a major upgrade to our pretty leaky perimeter defense. JJ will see some time if he does what he is asked to do. This may be the last hurrah for TRoss unless he decides that working on his game is more important than working on Instagram. Bruno is sttill not an NBA ready player this year. Will see some more minutes but nothing of substance.

Our bigs are all works in progress. Some further along than others. Leading the charge is JV who hopefully has worked on catching the ball in traffic and can hit the elbow jumper without the GD pump fake. This rubbish about getting him getting physically faster is laughable. What will make him better is a quicker decision making and then acting on it immediately. If he doesn't address that it will be more of the same as last year. OK but not the move up to a consistent 15 and 10 guy. Bizmak is a great addition at ~3M per year. He is what he is. A shot blocker inside who provides some rim protection and can grab boards on each end. THis is what we need him to do. His offensive capability is near negligible. THats OK .. we got other guys for that. Bebe looked good in summer league but needs a dose of nasty pills or some growing up. If he is going to play NBA minutes he better not look like a grinning sock puppet. Still he is 3rd on the depth chart and he is only 22 years old.
                      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                      - TGO

Comment

My A+ is just waiting on Dorrell Wright.

Comment

I say B.

Why? Were depending on these new additions staying healthy as well, plus Casey.
                          Axel wrote:
                          Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                          KeonClark wrote:
                          We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                          KeonClark wrote:
                          I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

ESPN Insider Kevin Pelton :Grade: B+

It's easy to figure out Toronto's goal this offseason. Basically every player the Raptors added is a plus defender, and they shed defensive liabilities Vazquez and Williams. The hope is Toronto can execute Dwane Casey's scheme like in 2013-14, when the team ranked ninth in defensive rating before slipping to 23rd last season. The Raptors paid handsomely to bring Joseph home to Toronto (four years, $30 million), but their decision to strike fast and offer Carroll nearly $60 million over four years looks prescient given how quickly wing talent dried up.
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

I give the offseason an A-plus for their additions.

An A for their subtractions.

And a D-minus for Casey and DeRozan having another season to disgrace the ACC with their brand of ISO ball and Efence.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                                I'm a solid b+. Want to see how the Wright pick works. But I like the additions, the not sacrificing cap flexibility, and the growth of a farm system.

Everything I want from this team is to not be hoping every year we strike it rich. I want internal growth and development. I want an identity. I think this year was a good step in that direction.

I really like no knee jerk reactions and patch fixes.
                                Very well said IMO. Calm and thoughtful. I really like what you said about internal growth, development and "an identity". Bang on.
                                Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Wed Jul 22, 2015, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X