Rank this offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rank this offseason

What grade do you give the Raptors this offseason so far?

Summary:

Traded Vasquez to Bucks for 2nd this year and lotto protected pick from Clippers in 2017

Drafted Delon Wright and Norman Powell

Announced D-League team in Mississauga

Got a meeting with LMA

Signed Carroll to 4 year $60million deal

Hired Kalamian and Stackhouse as assistant coaches

Will be completing $30million training centre before all star break

I'd have to give Masai and the raps an A so far. Considering where this team was 2 years ago and even 2 weeks ago, I think it's safe to say we're at least in good hands and on the way to relevancy.
    Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
    Because its 2015

B+ to A-

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

It's not done yet.

My grade is TBD
      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Inc. too early to really tell.

Don't forget that retaining Casey should count in the grade.

I like all of the player moves so far. Casey and the assistants don't make me feel great. Stackhouse isn't really a player that seems particularly well suited for coaching and I know nothing about the other guy.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Is there a race to create threads or something? First day of free agency and we already want to grade it...

Comment

keeping casey is a huge negative for me. c+ so far. we seem to be trying to patch up player positions when its the actual structure and system thats been the issue.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
              Is there a race to create threads or something? First day of free agency and we already want to grade it...
              Honestly been wondering the same thing lately.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

"Keeping Casey" is not an offseason move. If we resigned him, sure. But not firing an employee doesn't count, even if we got swept in the 1st round.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                  "Keeping Casey" is not an offseason move. If we resigned him, sure. But not firing an employee doesn't count, even if we got swept in the 1st round.
                  It was a decision that Masai made that can be confirmed (not like a rumoured trade) that we can absolutely grade.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                    It was a decision that Masai made that can be confirmed (not like a rumoured trade) that we can absolutely grade.
                    I disagree.

Well, for those who were wondering, Ujiri is not going to fire Casey, who is under contract for next season with a team option for 2016-17. And – following his own logic – if he’s not going to fire Casey, there’s no need to make a formal announcement saying that nothing’s changed. No news was good news, if you’re Casey.
                    (http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...keeping-casey/)

A "decision" would be picking up his team option for 2016-17.

Comment

I disagree.

Well Masai said that everything and everyone was being evaluated, and that includes Casey. The mere fact that the assistants were changed shows that Masai made a decision regarding the coaching of this team.

Comment

I disagree.

Given that at his end of season presser, Masai made it clear how pissed he was about the playoffs, very conspicuously did NOT give Casey a vote of confidence, and said the was going to spend a few weeks assessing EVERYTHING...I'd say that a decision was made.
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I guess my point is that when you grade a GM, you grade him based on the transactions that he's made (which is what I'm attributing a decision to). "Not firing" a coach is not a transaction.

So perhaps using the word decision is poor nomenclature, but grading a GM on decisions can blow up quite quickly. If Masai does not trade DeMar this off-season, after everything and everyone was evaluated, do we have to grade that decision too? Do we repeat this for every player on the roster?

Comment

I guess my point is that when you grade a GM, you grade him based on the transactions that he's made (which is what I'm attributing a decision to). "Not firing" a coach is not a transaction.

So perhaps using the word decision is poor nomenclature, but grading a GM on decisions can blow up quite quickly. If Masai does not trade DeMar this off-season, after everything and everyone was evaluated, do we have to grade that decision too? Do we repeat this for every player on the roster?
                            Not firing a coach is not the same as not trading a player.

We cannot accurately judge a non-trade since we don't know the exact offers/terms of the deal or any other offers.

We can accurately judge whether a coach has performed successfully or not.

Comment

I agree that not firing a coach is not the same as not trading a player. I don't agree on whether or not we can accurately judge if a coach has performed successfully. The team won the most games in franchise history, won the Atlantic division, and made it to the playoffs for the second season in a row. But this is not considered "successful" by many fans on this website.

That we were swept in the playoffs sucks, but that it was all Casey's fault is not completely true. Different Raptor communities have different opinions, as do non-Raptor communities. RaptorsRepublic is only a small part of that, and just because the majority here believe Casey is an idiot does not make it so.

*I'd like to caveat this discussion by saying that I am in the RR majority and think Casey should have been fired

Comment

Working...
                              X