Rank this offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    i can see this but the nba is not a league of parity. for everyone that goes up someone else will come down. i hope the east gets better just so we have more interesting basketball.

those teams better records aren't all coming at the expense of the raptors and our wins aren't all coming from the same teams as before. i think again last year we were one of a very few eastern teams to have winning records against the west. my point is upward trends aren't just going to stop for us if other teams begin them. if everyone improves we all stay the same to an extent.

"raptors can't get 50" was the quote i was responding too. why can't we? was the question i asked in turn. there isn't a lot of room for us to go down from where we are any step back, even to 48/47 wins should be considered a failure. if we want consistency it starts in the regular season and continues into the playoffs.
    True but my point is there are likely to be more teams in the 28-36 win bracket than the sub-25 win category with fewer wins between the best and the average. Basically there is likely to be stronger competition throughout the league - especially in the east - so you're likely to get your hope.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      True but my point is there are likely to be more teams in the 28-36 win bracket than the sub-25 win category with fewer wins between the best and the average. Basically there is likely to be stronger competition throughout the league - especially in the east - so you're likely to get your hope.
      The best, Cavs and Hawks will maintain and maybe the Bulls. There is no reason to expect the Magic, Bucks, Piston or Celtics to beat the Cavs in a season serties. They just might not be blowouts

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
        the Bulls
        really excited to see the bulls this year. want to see how they do sans thibs, pardon my french

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
          really excited to see the bulls this year. want to see how they do sans thibs, pardon my french
          I personally expect a huge drop off.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            thibs could expect a huge pay raise if that is the case, i would think

Comment

Not disagreeing, just curious as to your reasoning.
              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                Not disagreeing, just curious as to your reasoning.
                We've never seen that group without Thibs, including many of the players. He's been an elite defensive coach, and only got that group to 11th, I think. Without him orchestrating the defence I think Gasol ends up being much more of an issue. And who knows how effective Butler can be without him? Sure, maybe he'll be more effective, but we've never seen him without Thibs.

I see them being a road playoff team.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

We've never seen that group without Thibs, including many of the players. He's been an elite defensive coach, and only got that group to 11th, I think. Without him orchestrating the defence I think Gasol ends up being much more of an issue. And who knows how effective Butler can be without him? Sure, maybe he'll be more effective, but we've never seen him without Thibs.

I see them being a road playoff team.
                  Same, the bulls Front office basically scapegoated thibs. They barely even changed the roster and brought in Hoiberg. And yeah if Thibs could only get those guys to 11th in Def rtg I'd imagine there gonna be in the late teens or even 20's on D next season.
                  "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Yeah, the Bulls don't scare me nearly as much as they did last season. I could see them falling to 5-7 range.
                    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• I think you have to look at their "background"
                      who they work for in which role? what's their coaching success/d-league or college?
                      sometimes, they have mini-profiles on NBA or Espn site.
                      As an outsider, sometimes you are only kinda sure IF
                      they are REALLY REALLY GOOD or REALLY REALLY bad in a particular area.
                      Other than that, we don't have much to go on.

I'm not convinced on the Raps new assistants cause they were the 2nd,3rd or 4th options as the guys MU wanted were not available or SIMPLY DECLINED POLITELY the Raps offer. Personally, I don't think much of Stack cause he was a chucker and never displayed a hight bball acumen.

Rex was responsible for player development and offense in OKC, and the results for that doesn't scream confidence.
                      Andy Greer is an OK hire imo,but once again, he wasn't the 1st option :
                      "The Toronto Raptors recently pursued Erman to become defensive coordinator under Dwane Casey, sources said, but the chance to become associate head coach with Gentry and work with superstar Anthony Davis apparently swayed him
                      "

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                      How do they get rated? Anyone here ever assistant coach at at least a college level? I always assumed they get an assignment from the head coach and then come up with a shit ton of scenarios and head coach chooses one and goes with it.

I actually have no idea what makes a good assistant beyond following orders. Never understood the former player coach either.

For example I would guess Stackhouse is a better player coach than magloire because he is a better player but beyond that, is it longevity in the league? Education level?

Comment

• distorsun wrote: View Post
                        C+

Roster moves (in terms of talent + $$):
                        Carroll: A
                        Joseph: B-
                        Biyombo: C (B wright, Koufos)
                        Wright: B
                        Vasquez/Powell/first: A+
                        Scola: C- (O Quinn?)

Coaching:
                        Casey: F
                        Stackhouse: D
                        Greer: C+
                        Kalamian: C

Would've rated him higher, but he missed out on his TOP OPTIONS and settled for these dudes.

D-LEAGUE team : A+
                        That's a lot of poor grades for the coaching staff. Probably accurate.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                          That's a lot of poor grades for the coaching staff. Probably accurate.
                          Grading assistant coaches is like me grading you on how good you are at your job. I'll give you a B-. That's probably accurate.
                          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• I have to say, looking back that I like this offseason now more than I did a month ago. No, we didn't get a super star, but there wasnt really one available. The two big acquisitions of cojo and Carroll were important not just because hey are good two way players who fill needs but also because they come from great cultures. This is sometimes downplayed I feel like, but it is really important for talent development. It helps the young guys become professional and hopefully will lead to a star player through the draft (#KnicksPick2016) but will even ust help current young guys realize their potential. Again, no this didn't help us in the playoffs this year, but with development and acquiring more talent, we are trending upwards. I also like how we look to be filling the last 5 roster spots with young guys, (Bruno/Bebe/Powell/Wright/?) because it will strengthen the culture around the program. Think about it, our current guys for the most part haven't had that much success, they had to learn for themselves, which will help with the next group of guys to come through. The pf was a bit of a concern, but i'd rather give PP a chance to start than overpay for a guy who doesn't fit and limits future flexibility. The biggest negative I see is sticking with Casey. I don't know how good these new assistants are, or what they are going to to but maybe they can make up for Casey's shortcomings.

Comment

• Now that we're clearly done for the off season I'll say this: what Ujiri did may translate to a lateral move this season but long term it's put the Raptors ahead of where they were last season. Relentless baby steps.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

• if this results in this team playing a better style playoff basketball, maybe toddler steps

Comment

Working...
                                X