Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
      2017 Clips pick could be big too. Hopefully they don't tank by then.
      Realistically, best case scenario could be around 18-20 I guess? Western playoff teams have pretty low picks. If they make the playoffs, it's going to be around 20 or worse.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
        Nope. Not yet. Too much flexibility and too many picks incoming to be treadmilling.
        But what is the value of those picks? We have one extra pick next year that is maybe in the 10-15 spot, and another in 2017 that is top 10-protected. Our own picks are used either on moonshots (Bruno) or role players (Delon).

No one ever thinks they're on a treadmill while they're treadmilling. That's how they end up on the treadmill in the first place.

Comment

The one thing that Masai has just been otherworldly at so far is maintaining flexibility. He hasn't signed a contract that is untrateable, and even the GV signing turned directly into new assets for us. He's shown an ability to take expirings with little value and grab assets with more value. This summer he's also shown the ability to get big FAs attention. The raps have some young promising talent on good contracts that give us the money to sign bigger fish. We have 5(?) draft picks over the next two years and some all-star talent on good contracts.

I think ignoring all of the above and looking at the talent on the team this second, then yea I guess an argument could be had that we are treamilling.

However, if we are able to acquire one all-star caliber pf then we are so much better than last year it isn't funny. If Masai just saves his money or signs another GV contract then we have tons of flexibility going forward while still being better than last year. If any of our next 5 picks turns out to be a half decent player we are doing well. He's taking his time doing it, but I don't think you can argue that this team hasn't improved drastically in the present and for our future.

Comment

Both of the Knicks and Nuggets will be a lottery pick selection , so the Raptors will have an 8-13 pick at worst, in addition to their 18-22 pick for themselves.
            Raptors will have another 20 million in monies after paying for DD next year.What is TRoss worth as a bench player for his restricted year -3/20, and JV will be making his monies in 2017 onwards probably 5/90. DD will be $80 million for 4 years.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
              Not saying we are but I'm starting to see the "treadmill" sentiment building up (particularly CalgaryRapsFan and McHAPPY's comments caught my eye). Are people worried that with the DeMarre Carroll and no subsequent moves (yet), we're in danger of becoming a treadmill team once again? Is the DeMarre signing the equivalent of the Hedo signing in 2009?
              Very Nice Thread. In my opinion, if we do not add a quality PF then , yes, we are treadmilling and not going forward.
              As it stands, we are the 7th best team on east right now and really need a better PF to take us to next level.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                But what is the value of those picks? We have one extra pick next year that is maybe in the 10-15 spot, and another in 2017 that is top 10-protected. Our own picks are used either on moonshots (Bruno) or role players (Delon).

No one ever thinks they're on a treadmill while they're treadmilling. That's how they end up on the treadmill in the first place.
                Nicely Said. I think the Clippers pick is top 14 protected in 2017.

Comment

Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
                  Both of the Knicks and Nuggets will be a lottery pick selection , so the Raptors will have an 8-13 pick at worst, in addition to their 18-22 pick for themselves.
                  Raptors will have another 20 million in monies after paying for DD next year.What is TRoss worth as a bench player for his restricted year -3/20, and JV will be making his monies in 2017 onwards probably 5/90. DD will be $80 million for 4 years.
                  I love when people state opinions as facts. We have no idea what the pick from NY will be yet. Could be lotto but nothing is guaranteed.
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

For the record I wasn't saying we're treadmilling, was just presenting some of the arguments for it.

I'm kinda undecided atm need to see what else happens this offseason, but imo either way we have so many options. I think a treadmill is more of like the Joe, JSmoove Hawks where you're capped out with big contracts and don't have a ton of flexibility or room for improvement.

Comment

To me, when I think treadmill, I think of the Joe Johnson Hawks and the Kohl-era Bucks; teams that really didn't make much an effort to break the status quo. It's easy to mistake results for intention in the NBA.

As many others have said, there's nothing wrong with spending a few years on the treadmill if you stay one trade away from landing the superstar you can build around, or if you continue to make small moves that put you in that position. The NBA is an incredibly fluid league in terms of player movement and the Raps are positioned well to pounce on a disgruntled superstar and catapult themselves into long-term success.

I mean, we're now just one summer away from Blake Griffin forcing his way out of LA....

Comment

It's as if some of you have forgotten about the brazilian Durant...

But seriously, there is no way that we're treadmilling. Stop it.
                        Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                        Because its 2015

Comment

To me Treadmill is not going past what you achieved last year. We won 48 games and got swept in play offs. It was the 2nd time that we got destroyed in the play offs. So if we want to get better, we got to set our goals and try to make.

The goals this season should be 50+ win and at least getting past the first round of play offs. Now, with the way East has improved, I don't think we can get past the first round and we need more moves to make.

Comment

As is, this team right now doesn't look a hell of alot better than the previous two incarnations, and that's where the treadmilling concerns come from, and rightfully so. But, we just have too much flexibility going forward for me to think we are on the treadmill. Alot will depend on how the rest of the offseason goes, and I suspect before it's all said and done the team will have improved even more if we grab a good to great PF. In any event, building a great team takes time, and only happens quickly when a LBJ caliber player is acquired, or a destination as attractive as Miami is able to lure multiple all-star caliber players. We are getting better, that's the important thing to remember. Right now, I would say NOP is more of a threat to treadmill, even though they have a top 5 talent. Unfortunately for some, if you don't have a superstar, or a clear path to acquiring one, you are treadmilling.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                              The concern is definitely valid that this team is starting to cross off its draft picks/cap space options as time goes by and still doesn't have a franchise player talent.

The Pelicans, for example, haven't accomplished anything more than the Raptors recently, but they've got a work-in-progress situation centred around Anthony Davis, who's already getting MVP votes. Figuring out how to add role players to your superstar is a much more comfortable situation to be in than one where you're still figuring out how to get a superstar.
                              But AD is like the next Kevin Garnett

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                                As is, this team right now doesn't look a hell of alot better than the previous two incarnations, and that's where the treadmilling concerns come from, and rightfully so. But, we just have too much flexibility going forward for me to think we are on the treadmill. Alot will depend on how the rest of the offseason goes, and I suspect before it's all said and done the team will have improved even more if we grab a good to great PF. In any event, building a great team takes time, and only happens quickly when a LBJ caliber player is acquired, or a destination as attractive as Miami is able to lure multiple all-star caliber players. We are getting better, that's the important thing to remember. Right now, I would say NOP is more of a threat to treadmill, even though they have a top 5 talent. Unfortunately for some, if you don't have a superstar, or a clear path to acquiring one, you are treadmilling.
                                lets say we don't do a heck of a lot more this off season. So what we treadmill for a season we have max room next season to go at a power forward and or sign and trade Demar

Comment

Working...
                                X