• Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Bispat biyatterson
    Patmack Patombo
    OG is our king

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
      Not sure if it's been posted in this thread already, but this player report card from earlier this offseason sorta illustrates what the best-case scenario is... that Charlotte is giving up on him just as he's starting to turn the corner. It points to a lot of positives in his improvement this last season.

http://www.atthehive.com/2015/5/23/8...ismack-biyombo

It's not that unthinkable that as a guy who came into the league at a young age with a great body, got by on his physical skills, he's simply taken a long time to get his mental game up to speed but is now starting to turn the corner at the ripe old age of 22. Yeah, there's a decent chance that his current level is more or less his ceiling, but it's just such a low risk acquisition.
      The comments in that article are great.

4 years, 23/25m

They must be some pissed fans

Comment

• I really feel like Masai hit it out of the park on this one. He's paid like a journey-man, but he's probably 1) better now and 2) has way more potential than the majority of bigs that this size-starved franchise has rolled out over the years at the 5-spot. I was big on him for the Raps in the draft, as I presumed Jonas would be gone, but I'm happy someone else has paid for his development.

I'm really hoping that Jonas and Biz bring their A offensive-game next year, so they can play some minutes together. Maybe a fusion small-big lineup like Cory/Kyle/Carroll/Biz/Jonas? Stranger things have happened.

A lot of people are probably failing to factor in just how much longer we're going to be this year (excepting PP who has a decent span but will have to engage those sneaky-hops of his a bit more frequently). At small forward we're going from Ross/JJ/Demar/Vasquez to Carroll/JJ/Ross/Bruno. The backup 5 (an underrated part of the rotation) is going from Hans/Chuck to Biyombo/Bebe

You gotta think the African connection came into play on this one. Biyombo came aboard awfully quick for not a lot of money in a league where backup bigs still get paid. Either way, it looks like an elbows-above-the-rim slam dunk from here.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          The team was better when he was on the floor. At least that's what the numbers show.
          The team was most definitely not better with him on the floor, especially on any consistent basis. The numbers DO NOT show that. That article is basically cherry picking stats from half a season (post all star break) in a contract year.

http://www.atthehive.com/2014/9/24/6...his-final-year

Here's another article from the same site and author that basically says he sucks, has shown to be a net negative whenever hes on the floor and while he became a Charlotte fan favourite, it wasn't because of his actual skill. What's worse, the reason he came so cheap is because his CEILING is a bench playing rim protector and that's it (according to that same author and article) and he's not even consistently good at that yet either.

But hey the dude is young so why not.

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
            You gotta think the African connection came into play on this one. Biyombo came aboard awfully quick for not a lot of money in a league where backup bigs still get paid. Either way, it looks like an elbows-above-the-rim slam dunk from here.
            I don't think he was going to get a lot of attention from any team until late in free agency. Masai threw a few years and guaranteed money at him. It isn't unfathomable that this is his last NBA contract unless he is a bottom of the bench guy. If charlotte thought he was even moderately worth keeping they would have offered him the one year minimum take it or leave it deal. They let him walk. Hopefully with a change of scenery he can fit into a role here and maybe save his career.

3 million next year might be league minimum and his agent jumped at it.
            Last edited by Miekenstien; Wed Jul 22, 2015, 04:37 AM.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
              The team was most definitely not better with him on the floor, especially on any consistent basis. The numbers DO NOT show that. That article is basically cherry picking stats from half a season (post all star break) in a contract year.

http://www.atthehive.com/2014/9/24/6...his-final-year

Here's another article from the same site and author that basically says he sucks, has shown to be a net negative whenever hes on the floor and while he became a Charlotte fan favourite, it wasn't because of his actual skill. What's worse, the reason he came so cheap is because his CEILING is a bench playing rim protector and that's it (according to that same author and article) and he's not even consistently good at that yet either.

But hey the dude is young so why not.

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk
              You realize that is a preview written in September 2014 after a terrible 3rd year in which Al Jefferson came in and took over the position.

The other article was a player evaluation on the season written in May 2015.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                You realize that is a preview written in September 2014 after a terrible 3rd year in which Al Jefferson came in and took over the position.

The other article was a player evaluation on the season written in May 2015.
                I think that's exactly what I just said. hes been not very good UNTIL his contract year where he played decently for half the season and hit milestones like improving his FT% to an astonishing 68% (again, ONLY counting half the season. over the whole year he shot 58%! jesus). yeah meh.

but he does have youth on his side and who knows what a change in environment will do (except in caseys environment i dont see this going well either way)
                Last edited by iblastoff; Wed Jul 22, 2015, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
                  I think that's exactly what I just said. hes been not very good UNTIL his contract year where he played decently for half the season and hit milestones like improving his FT% to an astonishing 68% (again, ONLY counting half the season. over the whole year he shot 58%! jesus). yeah meh.

but he does have youth on his side and who knows what a change in environment will do (except in caseys environment i dont see this going well either way)
                  I'm sorry if I missed or misinterpreted something in your post...wouldn't be first time.

I fear like the contract year like few others but I am cutting him slack for a few reasons:
                  1) Hornets signed Al Jefferson after his 2nd season,
                  2) Hornets drafted bigs after his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th NBA seasons.
                  3) like you keep mentioning he is just 22 so I can't put him in same category as a john salmons or eddy curry.
                  4) $2.9m per year for a back up C who is an above average defender, rebounder, and shot blocker is just fantastic value.
                  5) he is a backup.

I wonder what would have happened had The Mavs had a shot at him after DeAndre Jordan backed out.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    I'm sorry if I missed or misinterpreted something in your post...wouldn't be first time.

I fear like the contract year like few others but I am cutting him slack for a few reasons:
                    1) Hornets signed Al Jefferson after his 2nd season,
                    2) Hornets drafted bigs after his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th NBA seasons.
                    3) like you keep mentioning he is just 22 so I can't put him in same category as a john salmons or eddy curry.
                    4) $2.9m per year for a back up C who is an above average defender, rebounder, and shot blocker is just fantastic value.
                    5) he is a backup.

I wonder what would have happened had The Mavs had a shot at him after DeAndre Jordan backed out.
                    the bold is a key point. Prior to the "summer of insanity" spending-wise, people like Zach Lowe were speculating you could get him for about $4M per season (if Charlotte didn't match). Once Demarre Carroll got $15M, i doubt anyone would have expected to get him for less than $4M. Masai must have some kind of connections through non-NBA activities.

Comment

• can I also point out that I don't really apply contract year nonsense to rookies.

1.) They are rookies...4th to 6th year is where they really start to get it. That's a natural development curve

2.) I'd be more concerned if a ten year guy suddenly "got it" in his contract year
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                        can I also point out that I don't really apply contract year nonsense to rookies.

1.) They are rookies...4th to 6th year is where they really start to get it. That's a natural development curve

2.) I'd be more concerned if a ten year guy suddenly "got it" in his contract year
                        Yeah I think the "contract year" thing is a bigger factor for UFAs not guys coming off their rookie deals. I think most rookies are trying their hardest to prove themselves in the NBA from the get-go anyway so I don't see why the contract year would be a massive factor.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                          I don't think he was going to get a lot of attention from any team until late in free agency. Masai threw a few years and guaranteed money at him. It isn't unfathomable that this is his last NBA contract unless he is a bottom of the bench guy. If charlotte thought he was even moderately worth keeping they would have offered him the one year minimum take it or leave it deal. They let him walk. Hopefully with a change of scenery he can fit into a role here and maybe save his career.

3 million next year might be league minimum and his agent jumped at it.
                          One year minimum? Charlotte had to tender the qualifying offer, but they had other free agent priorities and didn't want to tie up cash.

If Biyombo hadn't been intrigued by Masai and the Raps, you'd think his agent would have been more patient.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                            can I also point out that I don't really apply contract year nonsense to rookies.

so, lowry!

Comment

• He's the closest thing Casey has gotten to Tyson chandler. I expect him to fit well here

Comment

• Weren't the raptors very interested in Biyombo during the draft process? I remember raptors working him out like two days before draft in NYC.
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X