No announcement yet.

Everything Bismack Biyombo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wrote this in the other thread but I can't see anyway of Biz coming back.

1) We'd have to lock up $30M in the Centre position, which is ridiculous since the two of them can't play at the same time.
    2) You'd have to convince Biz to continue being a backup, that's a very tough sell to a player at his age.

Unless we trade JV it wouldn't make sense for either side for Biz to return at the price he's going to be demanding.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
      I wrote this in the other thread but I can't see anyway of Biz coming back.

1) We'd have to lock up $30M in the Centre position, which is ridiculous since the two of them can't play at the same time.
      2) You'd have to convince Biz to continue being a backup, that's a very tough sell to a player at his age.

Unless we trade JV it wouldn't make sense for either side for Biz to return at the price he's going to be demanding.
      That's a big one. If another team offers Biz a max contract + a starting spot, why would he turn that down to stay here?
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Another factor, Biz is clearly outplaying Thompson right now, while Thompson is clearly an overpay, Biyombo's agent would be an idiot if he isn't asking for more than the 14 million (or so) Thompson is getting.

My prediction is we re-sign Biyombo and Derozan, but it put's us at the cap or over in order to do so.
        -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
        -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

• Raptorsss wrote: View Post
          Another factor, Biz is clearly outplaying Thompson right now, while Thompson is clearly an overpay, Biyombo's agent would be an idiot if he isn't asking for more than the 14 million (or so) Thompson is getting.

My prediction is we re-sign Biyombo and Derozan, but it put's us at the cap or over in order to do so.
          The issue is Thompson was an overpay. Everyone knows it; including Cleveland and Thompson.

The real problem is, despite this, it did set a precedent.

Also we can't sign Biyombo as we don't have his bird rights without clearing a LOT of cap space. And even then, he's likely to get way overpaid by another team that does have a lot of cap space and nowhere to spend it. This offseason, there's going to be a LOT of money to spend and not a lot of places to spend it. It's going to be hard to overpay Biyombo to be JV's back up (who should be soaking up at least 30 minutes per game as is). Especially since you can't play both together.
          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
            The issue is Thompson was an overpay. Everyone knows it; including Cleveland and Thompson.

The real problem is, despite this, it did set a precedent.

Also we can't sign Biyombo as we don't have his bird rights without clearing a LOT of cap space. And even then, he's likely to get way overpaid by another team that does have a lot of cap space and nowhere to spend it. This offseason, there's going to be a LOT of money to spend and not a lot of places to spend it. It's going to be hard to overpay Biyombo to be JV's back up (who should be soaking up at least 30 minutes per game as is). Especially since you can't play both together.
            Agreed. I love Biz and what he's brought to this team, but JV is by far the better player. Giving Biz the same money as JV doesn't make sense. Biz has deserved whatever payout he gets in the offseason. I don't think the Raps should go much over 8-10 to keep him.

Comment

• I think there is something you guys are overlooking. Biyombo is 23, this doesn't have to be the biggest contract of his career. Think of Derozan, Amir Johnson at the same age, they took below market value to stay in Toronto. But, when you get closer to 30 that's when you try to maximize your value.

That's why we walked away from Amir and slightly overpayed to get Carroll. Both players, tried to maximize their value and Carroll was the easier choice.

Comment

I think there is something you guys are overlooking. Biyombo is 23, this doesn't have to be the biggest contract of his career. Think of Derozan, Amir Johnson at the same age, they took below market value to stay in Toronto. But, when you get closer to 30 that's when you try to maximize your value.

That's why we walked away from Amir and slightly overpayed to get Carroll. Both players, tried to maximize their value and Carroll was the easier choice.
                No they didn't. I can't recall Amir's but DeRozan's was widely considered an overpay by pretty much everyone. I believe Amir's was as well but I'm not as sure.
                "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
                  No they didn't. I can't recall Amir's but DeRozan's was widely considered an overpay by pretty much everyone. I believe Amir's was as well but I'm not as sure.
                  No, 10 million a year was not considered an overpay for Derozan. Amir's contract was considered an overpay at 6 million or so, but he outplayed his contract 10 fold. People, who criticized the contract weren't really paying attention to what he was doing.

Comment

No, 10 million a year was not considered an overpay for Derozan. Amir's contract was considered an overpay at 6 million or so, but he outplayed his contract 10 fold. People, who criticized the contract weren't really paying attention to what he was doing.
                    Look here.

Didn't take me long to find analysis of it.

Comment

• The contract Derozan signed is very, similar to the contract to the one JV just signed. Certainly, not an overpay, but neither is it a massive hometown discount.

Comment

• Also biyombo is not 23
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

The contract Derozan signed is very, similar to the contract to the one JV just signed. Certainly, not an overpay, but neither is it a massive hometown discount.
                          It was widely considered a bad overpay. JV's wasn't considered that (if anything, it was widely considered the opposite).
                          Last edited by Just Is; Tue May 24, 2016, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• Cause of the new NBA salary cap, Biz will get a big pay day from some team (think Lakers or Heat if Whiteside walks).

I really wish Masai wasnt so antsy on Ross and gave him a big contract for no reason. I know his reasoning was Ross may have a breakout and with the new salary cap his price could jump huge, but doing so is tying up money to a guy you dont need on the team and a guy that other teams may not want to pay $11 mil per year for...

I would wonder what team would want T Ross? And alot has to happen fast -- Demar re-signing, Biz re-signing, making cap room by trading Ross...

OR.. MLSE just say "F" it and exceed the cap...but I doubt they do that unless you want tix prices to be jacked up even that much more...

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              Also biyombo is not 23
                              He is 23 - August 28 1992 is his birthday

Unless he has a fake DOB (which is possible)

Comment

• Bandit wrote: View Post
                                Ross screams good trade target for me. If he wasn't on the raps he is exactly the type of player I could see people bringing up as a target.

Young
                                Good Contract
                                Shoots the three at 40+
                                Has the ability to lockdown the 1/2/3 positions
                                Overlooked in a strong rotation on a contender

I can't imagine that there isn't a team out there who wouldn't at least think about putting him in a more prominent position to see what happens
                                Ross would do very well on another team where he could play with another two decent 3 pt shooters. He'd get more open looks and wouldn't have to work so hard on the offensive end, and might then be more consistent on the D side of the ball.

Comment

Working...
                                X