Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post
    Q: Good or Bad?

Cory Joseph is learning the Way of the Raptor Guard....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...asket-at-will/

“...Cory is just figuring out that he can get to the basket at will and finish the ball. He was in a system where everything was ball movement, ball movement and he drives-and-kicks, but he’s starting to understand that he can get into the paint and get his shot. We talk every game and I told him he has to be aggressive. With the type of team we have we need our guards to be aggressive. That’s the one thing he’s learning to be. …"
    well obviously the Spurs system of ball movement has not yielded any real success or even sustainability.....
    Last edited by Snooch; Tue Nov 17, 2015, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• "He was in a system, the only system in NBA history that allowed a team to win a championship without having a transcendent scorer while still having offence as their identity, but we want to make sure all of those wonderful instincts are rooted out so that me and Demar don't look too too bad when we go into hero ball mode."

This fucking team.
      "Stop eating your sushi."
      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• New Raptors mantra: "Get Mine."
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
          Overall good, but bad since Casey will be overly reliant. We do want Joseph to be more aggressive looking for his, but at the same time, Casey takes things to the extreme.
          ^^After a bit of reflection, I'm more like this. Of course, the first gut reaction is #FireCasey, which unfortunately doesn't take much nowadays, i.e., Casey's tie not matching his shirt can put me over the edge some nights. lol.

However, I think overall it's very good for CoJo's development. I noticed in pre-season and early in the regular season that he looked a bit robotic and almost over-programmed and looking for guys to pass to who weren't in spots he was used to. I think he eventually realized that Raptor player's simply don't move around - it's too cold up here in WeTheNorth. But the positive is that Cory is starting to look more fluid and instinctive out there as he gets aggressive and looking for his own shot, a bit Parker-esque. His confidence is definitely up there and knowing you can score is a good way to boost that.

But, yeah, the danger is Casey starting to drool that he's got another ISO guard who doesn't have to involve teammates to get a quality shot, and gives him what he wants on the defensive end. CoJo could possibly be the Casey wet dream come to life.

Comment

• Not every team can a certain way.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              Not every team can a certain way.
              True, but every team can look to pass the ball to get good looks.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• When I read that Lowry snippet, I infer from it that there is an idea in his head that this team is not really very good so Lowry and Derozan have to carry it. Thing is, while that may have been true 2 years ago, they now have a much improved JV, a legit starting-caliber NBA SF in Carroll and quality role players like Patterson, Joseph, Scola. Forcing stuff with Lowry and Derozan shouldn't be the default option but I get the distinct impression that Lowry and Derozan don't feel that way....

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                  Joseph is going to be Vasquezed.
                  The same thing will happen to Carroll. It's already started.

Comment

Not every team can a certain way.
                    Only the ones that actually want to contend I guess

Seriously, motion/ball movement in the offence is an obvious ingredient to playoff/championship success. We should be teaching our other players to play more like Joseph (and even Carroll you still see looking for passes to guys that aren't in the right spot sometimes), not the other way around.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      The same thing will happen to Carroll. It's already started.
                      Yup, but in preseason especially, both he and Joseph would frequently get kind of "frozen" with the ball at the top/wing, looking for movement and for guys to be in spots, and it just wouldn't happen. That's a good thing. We should be molding our offence to be like "hey look, if you were moving to this spot now you'd get an open shot!".

Comment

• The ball is moving more than last year. Were not making any shots. CoJo has to be more aggressive. Were not as deep as the Spurs or the amount of shooters.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

The ball is moving more than last year. Were not making any shots. CoJo has to be more aggressive. Were not as deep as the Spurs or the amount of shooters.
                          Not having shooters makes it more important to move the ball. If guys aren't good shooting open, you think they're better covered? Well they'll be covered more if the ball moves less. They'll get less easy buckets around the rim if the ball moves less.

This isn't a strategy relative to 3 pt shooting. It's a strategy relative to the fundamentals of basketball. That's why it makes so much sense that if you go back up Pop's coaching tree, it leads back up to Doctor James Naismith (via Larry Brown, Dean Smith and Phog Allen).

Comment

• How much longer until CoJo adds the fade away to the left 3 to his arsenal? We need that from our sixth man, it's the Raptors way.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                              How much longer until CoJo adds the fade away to the left 3 to his arsenal? We need that from our sixth man, it's the Raptors way.
                              I have seen him do that just inside the arc a couple of times. It's just a matter of time before Casey "draws up" that play for Cory from 30 ft out.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                                When I read that Lowry snippet, I infer from it that there is an idea in his head that this team is not really very good so Lowry and Derozan have to carry it. Thing is, while that may have been true 2 years ago, they now have a much improved JV, a legit starting-caliber NBA SF in Carroll and quality role players like Patterson, Joseph, Scola. Forcing stuff with Lowry and Derozan shouldn't be the default option but I get the distinct impression that Lowry and Derozan don't feel that way....
                                This exact thing has troubled me, the way Lowry and DeRozan talk about the team and their roles on it, ever since the Brooklyn series. I first noticed it in some pre-series interviews and it seemed so out of place, since that was the season the Raptors found such great unexpected success by playing unselfish team basketball.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X