X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer wrote: View Post
    As per the front page:
    http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2015/...ick-the-tires/

Spurs have withdrawn the qualifying offer for Cory's services. I know DanH has been pretty eager to see Cory join the Raps, if it is on a good contract. It looks like it might be possible now. Good move?

(Can't fix the spelling error in title. Mods?)
    Holly crap that is a lot of money for Cory Joseph ... Previous summers he was a " hope they pick up his option " type of person and now he jumps to a 30 million dollar contract .. Was there a bidding war on him ?

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
      Holly crap that is a lot of money for Cory Joseph ... Previous summers he was a " hope they pick up his option " type of person and now he jumps to a 30 million dollar contract .. Was there a bidding war on him ?
      If he wasn't Canadian and from T.O doubt he gets 2/10M + options. A 4 year deal for a non-starter is alot

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
        If he wasn't Canadian and from T.O doubt he gets 2/10M + options. A 4 year deal for a non-starter is alot
        I thought his value will be 5-6 per. Based on nothing, actually. But Lou got 7 and I thought there will be a team that offers him 9-10. We don't know if there were other teams that wanted CoJo (like with Caroll). So far 4/30 looks a bit too pricey, Beverley got 3/25 but he was RFA. And then I wonder if this signing was based more on that he's Canadian and from Toronto which is a smart move commercially or maybe Ujiri does indeed see a lot of potential in CoJo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        MeDar ReDozan

Comment

• Absolutely love the pickup and think we got great value too. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't been paying attention to free agency. For starters, he makes only slightly more than Vasquez, but is better than Vasquez at everything. The Joseph/Wright combo is a huge upgrade over the Vasquez/Lou combo. It's like everyone forgot our old combo guard was 6'1" and couldn't play defense for shit, and also brought the offense to a dead stop with non-stop iso fadeaway to the left 3's. Both Joseph and Wright can play the 2 spot and I expect both will see time there replacing the Lou Williams 2 guard minutes.

I've seen some say Jospeh can't play 2 guard, but according to 82games he played 9% of the Spurs SG minutes and did awesome with a 16.5 PER and opponent PER of 11.7. Then there is Wright who is 6'6" with a 6'11" wingspan, which makes him a good sized SG who happens to play PG most of the time.

Our perimeter defense just got a ton better by unloading our two worst defenders Vasquez/Lou and replacing them with plus defenders in Joseph/Wright.

I have no idea what we're going to do at PF, but I'd be cool if it ends up being PPat/JJ and we just wait a year until the cap jump to address the long term starting PF. Of course Masai probably has some trade up his sleeve so I'll probably end up even happier with this offseason.

No more excuses for Casey. Time to put up or shut up, because you are oh so fire-able with your expiring deal and a capable replacement in Nick Nurse licking his chops on the bench.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
            Absolutely love the pickup and think we got great value too. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't been paying attention to free agency. For starters, he makes only slightly more than Vasquez, but is better than Vasquez at everything. The Joseph/Wright combo is a huge upgrade over the Vasquez/Lou combo. It's like everyone forgot our old combo guard was 6'1" and couldn't play defense for shit, and also brought the offense to a dead stop with non-stop iso fadeaway to the left 3's. Both Joseph and Wright can play the 2 spot and I expect both will see time there replacing the Lou Williams 2 guard minutes.

I've seen some say Jospeh can't play 2 guard, but according to 82games he played 9% of the Spurs SG minutes and did awesome with a 16.5 PER and opponent PER of 11.7. Then there is Wright who is 6'6" with a 6'11" wingspan, which makes him a good sized SG who happens to play PG most of the time.

Our perimeter defense just got a ton better by unloading our two worst defenders Vasquez/Lou and replacing them with plus defenders in Joseph/Wright.

I have no idea what we're going to do at PF, but I'd be cool if it ends up being PPat/JJ and we just wait a year until the cap jump to address the long term starting PF. Of course Masai probably has some trade up his sleeve so I'll probably end up even happier with this offseason.

No more excuses for Casey. Time to put up or shut up, because you are oh so fire-able with your expiring deal and a capable replacement in Nick Nurse licking his chops on the bench.
            Agree whole-heatedly with everything you said but, unfortunately, Wright's wingspan is 6'7.5". Still want to see him get some back-up SG minutes though.

Comment

• Money is kind of much for a guy that hasn't done anything in the league. I like him as a player though. Probably has the most playoffs games under his built on this team. Reminds me of a young Tony Parker.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                Interesting piece from before last season about Joseph and why Mills was ahead of him, yet he deserved recognition:

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2014/...urs-assessment

By the end of the season he had improved significantly on the offensive side of the ball:

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/...-play-playoffs

At worst he's a hustle, intangible based backup PG but it looks like his offense is turning around. For this free agency season this contract looks okay to me.
                Mills was coming off an injury.

Comment

• So we've got Cojo coming from the Spurs, Carroll coming from the Spurs 2.0...here's to hoping Masai's master plan is to emulate those teams and we begin installing some similar offence.
                  "Stop eating your sushi."
                  "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                  "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                    So we've got Cojo coming from the Spurs, Carroll coming from the Spurs 2.0...here's to hoping Masai's master plan is to emulate those teams and we begin installing some similar offence.
                    Won't happen under Casey. He'll screw this all up.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                      So we've got Cojo coming from the Spurs, Carroll coming from the Spurs 2.0...here's to hoping Masai's master plan is to emulate those teams and we begin installing some similar offence.
                      I think players coming from winning environments is a positive ... Making trades with teams like Kings and or Knicks means bad
                      habits may follow that player ..

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post
                        Though I wouldn't call Rudy Gay "quality," he did attract defense, and this didn't appear to help DD.
                        Not from beyond the 3 pt line.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Won't happen under Casey. He'll screw this all up.
                          In his defence, two years ago the offence was humming along pretty nicely. Hopefully the subtraction of the Chuck Brothers gets us back there.
                          "Stop eating your sushi."
                          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• guys when looking at these deals remember when the cap jumps to 110M Cory will be making 5% of the cap which great for a guy expected to play at least 20 minutes a game
                            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• It wouldn't be Toronto if we didn't hear about good news like Joseph signing in Toronto and start worrying that Kyle is going to be traded and Delon won't get any quality minutes. We just acquired a solid back up point guard which good teams need. Masai is building capital and changing the culture of the team. We've been so bad that we think a 20th overall rookie pg should be a core part of our team next year. In Joseph's first year he touched the floor in just a third of the spurs games and played a lot of time in the D league. As fun as it would be to root for the low probability outcome that Delon can swoop in and be our back up pg, it's so much better for the team if he spends some solid time running the 905's (that name still sounds terrible).
                              As for Kyle, ask him if he would like to have a back up that may be a step up from GV or Lou (from a pg point of view). Think of the number of games that he had to play 40+ minutes, or where we couldn't take him off the floor in the fourth because that would lead to a stretch of matador defense. I don't want to be too optimistic but I think the Rap's PG situation is a lot more stable than many think (cue 'Kyle Lowry traded thread' here..)

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                                It wouldn't be Toronto if we didn't hear about good news like Joseph signing in Toronto and start worrying that Kyle is going to be traded and Delon won't get any quality minutes. We just acquired a solid back up point guard which good teams need. Masai is building capital and changing the culture of the team. We've been so bad that we think a 20th overall rookie pg should be a core part of our team next year. In Joseph's first year he touched the floor in just a third of the spurs games and played a lot of time in the D league. As fun as it would be to root for the low probability outcome that Delon can swoop in and be our back up pg, it's so much better for the team if he spends some solid time running the 905's (that name still sounds terrible).
                                As for Kyle, ask him if he would like to have a back up that may be a step up from GV or Lou (from a pg point of view). Think of the number of games that he had to play 40+ minutes, or where we couldn't take him off the floor in the fourth because that would lead to a stretch of matador defense. I don't want to be too optimistic but I think the Rap's PG situation is a lot more stable than many think (cue 'Kyle Lowry traded thread' here..)
                                Another angle is CoJo and Lowry both had problems shooting at first in the NBA and they share similar traits defensively.

Comment

Working...
                                X