What IS the core? Who make it up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What IS the core? Who make it up?

There's been a ton of talk from reporters and MU himself about not wanting to shake up the core this offseason and i've begun to wonder just who is the core? My sudden wonder comes from a *sigh* Wolstat tweet. Here it is:

With Kanter's offer sheet being hilarious high for a guy that doesn't play a lick of defense you can imagine what Val's going to command, and rightfully so. Big men don't grow on trees. But Ross? I thought he was as good as gone? Why extend him when he'd (supposedly) be worth more as an expiring young contract for a team to buy low on?

In all the talks of "the core" it's long been DD/Lowry/Val. That was pretty well universally understood, even by fans alike regardless of what you think of the various players. Add Carroll now with his team high salary.

There were also whispers earlier that the raps would try and move DD because of his potential upcoming extension and everything else. Today MU told reporters the trade winds are going to start to blow and the team was ready, with extra picks to deal since it's unrealistic for the team to take on that many rookies. Does the warlord not consider DD part of the core? Secretly?

What about Lowry? In just this very offseason they brought in two point guards, and Joseph was considered starting material by most. Wright is praised for his high IQ and being a senior, won't necessarily need to learn as much. He's more of a plug and play type rook, even at the hardest position to learn. Is Lowry still a part of the core?

Maybe my brain's going into overdrive over a single tweet by one of the biggest doofuses on twitter... but maybe not. What do you think?
    @sweatpantsjer

extending Ross!?!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Comment

Jv is part of the core. Makes sense. Tross is part of the bench core (and insurance if DD doesn't resign). Even if DeMar has an option coming up, he's still the core. Same for Lowry. But that's what Masai has done. He's built a core that won't be crippled if any one person from that core leaves or is traded.

Comment

Extend Ross 4yr/90mill
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Terrence needs to get a 5y/125 million

Comment

I thought we all agreed that wolstat is a useless tit who doesn't know shit lol
            You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

RepTdot wrote: View Post
              extending Ross!?!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
              Extend Ross? At $4-5M/year for 4 years? I sure would.

Pay him like a backup, and either (i) he improves and you've got a great deal, or (ii) you trade him to someone else who will pay for potential. Either way, that's way better than waiting for him to prove himself ...

Comment

JV, DD, DC, KL, CJ, Wright, Bruno and apparently Ross. I guess these guys are the core IMO. Maybe Bebe too, but both him and Bruno are likely to spend time with the D-league team. Of course this could all change as the season goes on. Both Lowry and DD could be expendable. I don't know...what is a good definition of "core" players? Anyone considered a part of future plans? The league is so fluid these days that just about anyone might be moved for the right package. And something to consider, Ross extended on a long term cap friendly deal might be more of an asset than as a rookie scale player...maybe. Will depend on how he plays this year, what he signs for and how the cap increases.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                  JV, DD, DC, KL, CJ, Wright, Bruno and apparently Ross. I guess these guys are the core IMO. Maybe Bebe too, but both him and Bruno are likely to spend time with the D-league team. Of course this could all change as the season goes on. Both Lowry and DD could be expendable. I don't know...what is a good definition of "core" players? Anyone considered a part of future plans? The league is so fluid these days that just about anyone might be moved for the right package. And something to consider, Ross extended on a long term cap friendly deal might be more of an asset than as a rookie scale player...maybe. Will depend on how he plays this year, what he signs for and how the cap increases.
                  8 players isnt a Core. Core is JV maybe. everyone else is tradable

Comment

The core group of players is JV, Lowry, DD and Carroll. Everyone else is simply part of the supporting cast until proven otherwise. If Ross was a core piece of the puzzle they wouldn't have had to go out and spend $60 million on Carroll.

Doesn't mean you don't extend Ross if the price is right.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                      The core group of players is JV, Lowry, DD and Carroll. Everyone else is simply part of the supporting cast until proven otherwise. If Ross was a core piece of the puzzle they wouldn't have had to go out and spend $60 million on Carroll.

Doesn't mean you don't extend Ross if the price is right.
                      JV is the only one who is going to get the Max. like KL,DC and DD but none are or were max players

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                        JV is the only one who is going to get the Max. like KL,DC and DD but none are or were max players
                        Okay. How is that relevant to determining what the core group of players is?

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                          With Kanter's offer sheet being hilarious high for a guy that doesn't play a lick of defense you can imagine what Val's going to command, and rightfully so. Big men don't grow on trees. But Ross? I thought he was as good as gone? Why extend him when he'd (supposedly) be worth more as an expiring young contract for a team to buy low on?
                          In regards to Ross. Any team looking to trade anything of value for him would be looking to keep him long term, right? And given the looming cap increase his minuscule contract isn't going to give a team much of a cap advantage to let expire, correct?

Any team looking to trade for him will need to extend or re-sign him. They're not going to get a better price for him than Ujiri can get right now. So that's your answer. Him locked up now is actually more enticing in my opinion.

ceez wrote: View Post
                          ? In all the talks of "the core" it's long been DD/Lowry/Val. That was pretty well universally understood, even by fans alike regardless of what you think of the various players. Add Carroll now with his team high salary.

There were also whispers earlier that the raps would try and move DD because of his potential upcoming extension and everything else. Today MU told reporters the trade winds are going to start to blow and the team was ready, with extra picks to deal since it's unrealistic for the team to take on that many rookies. Does the warlord not consider DD part of the core? Secretly?

What about Lowry? In just this very offseason they brought in two point guards, and Joseph was considered starting material by most. Wright is praised for his high IQ and being a senior, won't necessarily need to learn as much. He's more of a plug and play type rook, even at the hardest position to learn. Is Lowry still a part of the core?

Maybe my brain's going into overdrive over a single tweet by one of the biggest doofuses on twitter... but maybe not. What do you think?
                          I don't think "core" means off limits in trades. "Core" means that player is a keeper, someone who might be of value to the long term plans of the team; a piece used to build the system around.

Also consider that Ujiri is a smart cookie and he no doubt understands the psychology of telling the market a certain player is not for sale.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                            Okay. How is that relevant to determining what the core group of players is?
                            if you tear down a team you keep the Max player since others are replaceable. Max players are tough to replace so they are Max

Comment

Core is :

DD + Big Val

Ross, Bruno, Wright have a chance to show that they belong.

Comment

Working...
                              X