No announcement yet.

The Transformation of the Raptors under Ujiri's Direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It speaks volumes as to what Masai was able to do with what Bryan gave him.

But, it could have been much worse if Bryan was able to get Nash. He probably wouldn't have traded for Gay, but Nash's contract would have been hard to erase off the books unless Masai waived/stretched him (which would probably have pissed off Nash).

Comment

I'm impressed by MU's gradual transformation (here's to hoping it leads somewhere good). Remember how much BC loved to overhaul half the roster every offseason? The benefits of MU keeping his prospects and picks, signing role players to very short deals, and not overpaying guys to stay in TO are really starting to show up. Gradually improving the roster, filling the cupboard with picks and prospects, keeping flexibility for future transactions all while continuing to win games.

Four huge variables still on the table:
      - Casey is in the final year of his contract
      - DeMar' is in the final year of his contract
      - the NYK/DEN pick
      - potential of trading a core player (Lowry/DeMar/JV) if the team plateaus, or if DD is asking for too much, or if a great opportunity comes up
      Last edited by S.R.; Thu Jul 16, 2015, 10:19 AM.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
        It speaks volumes as to what Masai was able to do with what Bryan gave him.

But, it could have been much worse if Bryan was able to get Nash. He probably wouldn't have traded for Gay, but Nash's contract would have been hard to erase off the books unless Masai waived/stretched him (which would probably have pissed off Nash).
        And possibly sour the relationship between Nash and Canada Basketball.

Although, if Nash came to TO he might have stayed health. Wasn't the Laker's staff notorious at ruining older star player's health?

Comment

Atothe wrote: View Post
          Demar at 15 million is very fair but anything more is just hurting yourself. Hopefully this team is in a playoff position at the trade deadline and Demar is traded
          Carroll is getting $16M/yr...anyone that think that DeMar is signing for $15M or even thinks $15M is a fair offer needs a serious reality check on the new NBA.

thead wrote: View Post
          I think there is a greater discussion to be had here about how long term plans take place, how to properly use assets. I think by reducing it to trade DeRozan and Fire Casey (discussions which are already taking place in EVERYTHING DEROZAN and FIRE CASEY) you do a disservice to the topic. I mean I can't tell you guys what to talk about as threads go where they go sometimes but there is better discussion opportunity here
          Mchappy had such a great post and it took all of 2mins to turn into yet another "trade Demar" thread....we get it Snooch...you don't like DeRozan.

Comment

Biggest difference between BC & MU so far is Masai doesn't overpay for poor quality players. BC played into the "noone comes to Toronto so lets overpay flawed players". Masai has been very disciplined with that, and actually put some value to 2nd round picks. BC was convinced and all in about making the Euro style of play work in the NBA, whereas MU style seems to be all about length & athleticism, finding players that just needed a change of scenery and long-term player development.

Comment

Things have clearly improved with MU as the GM. the roster is better and more well rounded, picks have been retained, contracts awarded have been reasonable, and flexibility has been maintained, all while acquiring a potential top 10 pick in next years draft. And what appears to be some decent drafting and getting a d-league team. The future looks bright, how all this could have been achieved without tanking is beyond comprehension.

Comment

Damn. Looking at the 2012/13 year. The roster had ALOT of talent and a good mix of young guys and veterans. On paper they look like a 50+ win team
                I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

None of this should really come as a surprise, since MU is doing exactly what he said he would. For me, the biggest change I was looking forward to was the 3rd string players. BC tended to sign washed-up vets and swing-for the-fences type players, while MU's stated approach is to stack every position 3 players deep, with young prospects filling the 3rd string. He did it with Denver (ie: Fournier, Hamilton, Stone, etc...) and it was one of the first strategies he specifically mentioned upon signing with Toronto.

It's so refreshing to look at the roster and see it filled with cheap, young prospects (either to develop or use as trade bait), rather than dead-weight contracts that only have value when they're expiring or expire. It speaks to the longer-term view that MU is clearly taking and, when combined with the D-league team coming to fruition, speaks volumes about his commitment to having a pipeline for developing young talent; that's the recipe for sustainable success.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    None of this should really come as a surprise, since MU is doing exactly what he said he would. For me, the biggest change I was looking forward to was the 3rd string players. BC tended to sign washed-up vets and swing-for the-fences type players, while MU's stated approach is to stack every position 3 players deep, with young prospects filling the 3rd string. He did it with Denver (ie: Fournier, Hamilton, Stone, etc...) and it was one of the first strategies he specifically mentioned upon signing with Toronto.

It's so refreshing to look at the roster and see it filled with cheap, young prospects (either to develop or use as trade bait), rather than dead-weight contracts that only have value when they're expiring or expire. It speaks to the longer-term view that MU is clearly taking and, when combined with the D-league team coming to fruition, speaks volumes about his commitment to having a pipeline for developing young talent; that's the recipe for sustainable success.
                    Do you think this could be the year the Raptors have a 2012-13 Denver-esque 57 win type season?

That Denver team was really good, no true stars but just constructed extremely well. If Gallinari doesn't get injured I think they beat GSW and advance further in the playoffs.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
                      Do you think this could be the year the Raptors have a 2012-13 Denver-esque 57 win type season?

That Denver team was really good, no true stars but just constructed extremely well. If Gallinari doesn't get injured I think they beat GSW and advance further in the playoffs.
                      I think the Raps could really surprise this year, at least regular season, if they have a defence first mentality and an offence that is less ISO and more spread out with better ball movement. But only if those things happen. We play like we did last season, and I doubt we see much improvement.

Comment

RepTdot wrote: View Post
                        Carroll is getting $16M/yr...anyone that think that DeMar is signing for $15M or even thinks $15M is a fair offer needs a serious reality check on the new NBA.

Mchappy had such a great post and it took all of 2mins to turn into yet another "trade Demar" thread....we get it Snooch...you don't like DeRozan.
                        Average of $14.5...but your point is still very much valid.

Comment

to me I'm interested to see what Masai does with the 4 first round picks over the next two years. They have their most value before the season starts (when they can turn into anybody) and on draft day (when they are someone very specific)
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                            to me I'm interested to see what Masai does with the 4 first round picks over the next two years. They have their most value before the season starts (when they can turn into anybody) and on draft day (when they are someone very specific)
                            i'll tell you this, MU ain't drafting 4 players.

i predict they'll actually only draft 2 players with the other two picks will be used as sweeteners to facilitate trades or move up in the draft.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Please Knicks/Nuggets just suck!

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I think it all comes down to how this team plays. Regardless of the personnel changes made this offseason, if the primary approach still consists of DeRozan/Lowry ISO plays on offense and a scrambling defense, I doubt the team will even match their success from last season. The Raptors won't surprise anybody, they don't get the same divisional benefits, and the EC is stronger/healthier.

If the entire philosophical approach changes on both ends of the court, 'good' DeRozan and Lowry show up for full seasons, JV takes a step forward, and the role players all play to their full potential, then 47-52 wins seems like the ceiling to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X