The Transformation of the Raptors under Ujiri's Direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Transformation of the Raptors under Ujiri's Direction

This was the Raptors line up at the end of the 2012-13 season (34-48) when Masai was brought in and BryCo was reassigned/demoted and subsequently quit:

PG: Lowry, Telfair, JL3
    SG: DeRozan, Anderson, Fields
    SF: Gay, Ross, Kleiza, Pietrus
    PF: Amir, Acy, Bargnani*
    C: Valanciunas, Gray

*Injured

Draft pick situation: none in 2013, all first rounders moving forward
    Prospects: Zubcic

This was the Raptors line up at the end of the 2013-14 season (48-34):

PG: Lowry, Vasquez, Stone, Buycks
    SG: DeRozan, Salmons, De Colo
    SF: Ross, Fields, Novak
    PF: Amir, Patterson, Hansbrough
    C: Valanciunas, Hayes

Draft pick situation: all first rounders moving forward, plus lower of DEN/NYK 2016
    Prospects: Zubcic

This is how 2014-15 wrapped up (49-33):

PG: Lowry, Vasquez
    SG: DeRozan, Williams, Fields
    SF: Ross, Johnson, Bruno
    PF: Amir, Patterson, Hansbrough
    C: Valanciunas, Hayes, Stiemsma, Bebe

Draft pick situation: all first rounders moving forward, plus lower of DEN/NYK 2016
    Prospects: Daniels, Zubcic
    Restricted free agents: Patterson, Vasquez, De Colo

Heading in to 2015-16, which may still be unfinished, Raptors have:

PG: Lowry, Joseph, Wright
    SG: DeRozan, Ross, Powell
    SF: Carroll, Johnson, Bruno
    PF: Scola, Patterson, Bennett
    C: JV, Biyombo, Bebe

Draft pick situation: all own first rounders, worse of DEN/NYK 2016, Clippers 2017 (lottery protected)
    Prospects: Daniels
    Restricted free agents: De Colo

Interesting to see the evolution and the types of players that Masai uses to fill out the roster versus Colangelo. Also first time in a loooong time there is no dead weight on the roster. There is not a single 'bad' contract. There are lots of tradeable pieces and assets such as picks with four in the next 2 years alone.

Looking forward ahead, 2016-17 has the following:

PG: Lowry, Joseph, Wright
    SG: DeRozan, Ross, Powell
    SF: Carroll, Bruno
    PF: Patterson
    C: JV, Biyombo, Bebe

Prospects: Daniels
    Restricted free agents: JV, TR
    Unrestricted free agents: DeRozan

Raptors have about $83M in salary and cap holds (including 2 first round picks) which will leave them with about $6M in cap space. At this point in time, unless a trade happens before trade deadline or a sign and trade occurs next summer, the Raptors are not going to be players in the much hyped free agency spending frenzy (and that might not be a bad thing).
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Sep 27, 2015, 07:18 PM.

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    At this point in time, unless a trade happens before trade deadline or a sign and trade occurs next summer, the Raptors are not going to be players in the much hyped free agency spending frenzy (and that might not be a bad thing).
    It will be a terrible thing if Demar is still part of this team at that point in time.

Comment

Snooch wrote: View Post
      It will be a terrible thing if Demar is still part of this team at that point in time.
      Not if he can be re-signed to a reasonable deal it won't.

Comment

WOW that Colangelo team make up sucked. I guess you really don't know what shit is until you get something better.

Comment

What happened to "If Masai brings back this same core his job should be questioned"? It's interesting how often narratives change around here, I sometimes think people are a bit too reactionary.

Prior to the beginning of the offseason, people were saying they'd lose faith in Masai if the core wasn't changed (at least one of Lowry/DD/JV traded) and Casey wasn't fired. None of those things have happened, but people have changed their tune. Always best to take a stepback and evaluate things logically.
          Last edited by JWash; Thu Jul 16, 2015, 08:35 AM.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
            Not if he can be re-signed to a reasonable deal it won't.
            Unless he signs for 7 million a year and either comes off bench or becomes the 5th optiom amongst my starters i dont want him on my team.

Having the demar we have had for the last 6 years is am acceptance of mediocrity

Comment

What happened to "If Masai brings back this same core his job should be questioned"? It's interesting how often narratives change around here, I sometimes think people are a bit too reactionary.

Prior to the beginning of the offseason, people were saying they'd lose faith in Masai if the core wasn't changed (at least one of Lowry/DD/JV traded) and Casey wasn't fired. None of those things have happened, but people have changed their tune. Always best to take a stepback and evaluate things logically.
              Sounds like it is always better to stand quietly in the shadows and wait to criticize those who offer up an opinion.

Comment

Snooch wrote: View Post
                At 20 million plus.

Comment

Sounds like it is always better to stand quietly in the shadows and wait to criticize those who offer up an opinion.
                  Or just be patient with the process as a fan?

I trust that Masai is a good GM, so while I too wanted Casey fired I didn't put an ultimatum on it.

Comment

Demar at 15 million is very fair but anything more is just hurting yourself. Hopefully this team is in a playoff position at the trade deadline and Demar is traded

Comment

Or just be patient with the process as a fan?

I trust that Masai is a good GM, so while I too wanted Casey fired I didn't put an ultimatum on it.

Good for you.

You are such an inspiration for the reactionary fans among us.

Comment

Good for you.

You are such an inspiration for the reactionary fans among us.
                        Thanks!

Comment

I think there is a greater discussion to be had here about how long term plans take place, how to properly use assets. I think by reducing it to trade DeRozan and Fire Casey (discussions which are already taking place in EVERYTHING DEROZAN and FIRE CASEY) you do a disservice to the topic. I mean I can't tell you guys what to talk about as threads go where they go sometimes but there is better discussion opportunity here
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I considered the core to be the starting 5, Lou, GV, and PPat (e.g. the guys who got the bulk of the minutes). So the core has changed quite a bit. People were going to flip out if we brought back Lou and Amir and had the same starting lineup and bench. Instead we got Carroll, replaced GV with Joseph (and got 2 extra picks), let Amir and Lou walk, brought in Scola and Biyombo, and made some great draft picks. People just wanted the future to look brighter and it does.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                              I considered the core to be the starting 5, Lou, GV, and PPat (e.g. the guys who got the bulk of the minutes). So the core has changed quite a bit. People were going to flip out if we brought back Lou and Amir and had the same starting lineup and bench. Instead we got Carroll, replaced GV with Joseph (and got 2 extra picks), let Amir and Lou walk, brought in Scola and Biyombo, and made some great draft picks. People just wanted the future to look brighter and it does.
                              We shining so bright, they gonna need sunglasses to see us!

Comment

Working...
                              X