The Space Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    i just can't see any way we actually create sentient machines.
    Depends how you define "sentient." They don't need to be fully capable of what we are to wipe us out. Just have to be able to decide we should die, and decision making (ie logical if-then's) is essentially all computers do.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Depends how you define "sentient." They don't need to be fully capable of what we are to wipe us out. Just have to be able to decide we should die, and decision making (ie logical if-then's) is essentially all computers do.
      but the ability to even think humans deserve to die has to be programed into a machine. easy code to write

Comment

but the ability to even think humans deserve to die has to be programed into a machine. easy code to write
        Indeed, and how many nutjobs with a computer are out there? Just takes one. And fits with the theme of our destruction coming directly from our own hands.

That said, if we are going to be open to the possibility that we can open wormholes and use antimatter as a weapon (or fuel), I don't see why we would ignore the possibility that we discover a way to program sentience.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

That said, if we are going to be open to the possibility that we can open wormholes and use antimatter as a weapon (or fuel), I don't see why we would ignore the possibility that we discover a way to program sentience.
          haha.

Comment

• New (possibly) habitable planet discovered right next door! Just 4.2 light years away

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/08/24...r-solar-system

Pretty damn cool.

Comment

• http://www.space.com/33921-dwarf-pla...ns-photos.html

new dwarf planet. 4 snap shots made into a gif charting its orbit. past pluto.

Comment

• Uh oh

Comment

• I presume everyone saw this a while ago when it happened...

But in case anyone was interested I worked on the AMOS-6 (Facebook) satellite that was the payload for this launch. So, that's always fun to see months of design work go up in smoke (or, more accurately, a giant fire ball).
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I presume everyone saw this a while ago when it happened...

But in case anyone was interested I worked on the AMOS-6 (Facebook) satellite that was the payload for this launch. So, that's always fun to see months of design work go up in smoke (or, more accurately, a giant fire ball).
                    Really?! That's wild!.. Sorry to hear that though man!
                    Did you contribute stats and top-notch analysis? Haha .. but seriously, what is it you do??

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                      Really?! That's wild!.. Sorry to hear that though man!
                      Did you contribute stats and top-notch analysis? Haha .. but seriously, what is it you do??
                      Mechanical engineering (structural and thermal analysis and design).
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Mechanical engineering (structural and thermal analysis and design).
                        that's incredible dan. i think it might need some thermal analysis tweaking though. must be a giant kick in the dick when you work on something and watch that happen though.

Comment

that's incredible dan. i think it might need some thermal analysis tweaking though. must be a giant kick in the dick when you work on something and watch that happen though.
                          Yeah, whenever I tell the story I'm careful to be clear I did not work on the rocket, just on the satellite. Not a great idea to go bragging about being involved with a rocket that exploded... It's no fun to see it, but it's actually technically a good thing for the company as we'll probably get a high priced re-order and we'll save on the design costs. Not that I see a penny of that anyway but still.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• https://www.yahoo.com/tech/soon-brig...144334618.html

This is amazing. I really hope I am able to see this. Binary stars colliding within the next three years.

Comment

• The incredible lunar TEMPLE: European space bosses reveal plan for 50m high 'dome of contemplation'
                              • Perpetually sunlit peak close to the Moon's south pole
                              • Would be built on the sunlit rim of Shackleton Crater, near proposed lunar base
                              • 50 m-high domed structure Temple will be 'symbol of unity for humankind'

EUROPE'S MOON BASE PLANS
                              The European Space Agency's plans to build a village on the moon are part of a much wider scheme to explore the far-flung regions of our solar system.
                              Speaking at a recent conference, Esa boss Jan Woerner said: 'I think we should go first to the moon and then further on.'
                              He added that Mars should not be our ultimate goal and said he is 'quite sure humans will go further.'
                              http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ar-TEMPLE.html

Comment

• Some pretty cool stuff! I'd go! Lol
                                I'm not sure we can even fully imagine the things we will actually see in our lifetime. What a time to be alive.

Comment

Working...
                                X