No announcement yet.

Looking Ahead: 2016 Free Agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The real thing is that team is playing with guys who move the ball around so well.

We need to stop allowing to ball to stick. But you know Demar wants the ball in his hands so he can shoot mid-rangers all day ala KOBE.
    Axel wrote:
    Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
    KeonClark wrote:
    We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
    KeonClark wrote:
    I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• None of this discussion means much if we continue to play the same style we presently do, which is IMO, more dependent upon the coaching staff than roster composition. Of course, adding a Cousins while retaining JV will require an adjustment in offensive approach, and there's no way of telling that it would be more successful until it actually happened. And I'm very weary of Cousins, he has the talent but not sure he can really elevate a team like ours to contender status. Plus, for me, it's really difficult to evaluate this team when our most important playoff contributor isn't playing, and the next three most important players are all banged up pretty good. A healthy JV would narrow the gap between us and CLE quite significantly IMO. We probably still don't beat them, but we would look much more capable than we presently do.

As far as I'm concerned, what the Raps really need to do is reduce Lowry and Demar's usage, and increase JV's, Ross's, and Carroll's. I'd like to see more high and low post work and PnR for JV, and much more off ball action for Carroll and Ross that is designed to get those guys open catch and shoot situations. The pindown work we do for Demar, or used to do, to get him decent baseline jumpers are an example. We do some of that for Ross, but I feel we should do more of that for our shooters, especially Carroll, who needs those types of plays consistently in order to be a bigger part pf the offence. We really need to reduce our dependence on the drive and kick game of Lowry, Demar, and Jospeh. It's great to have guys that can do that stuff, but it shouldn't be centerpiece of our offence.

I'd consider moving Joseph for nothing in order to retain Biz, but I hesitate to pay Biz big money for a role that should limit him to less than 20mpg.

Also, if Casey is to be retained, than I imagine the offence generally remains the same, and what the team would need more than anything in that situation would be a guy that can do Demar's job, but only much better. AKA Durant, which is a pipe dream. I also hesitate to sign Demar to max or near max, I don't think this is a great idea. $20-22M seems like plenty to me, and not that that helps us much in free agency, but is more reasonable and in line with his actual value and would be easier to deal with down the line if trading him became a priority.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
        My thing is, Letting DeMar walk doesn't give us a lot of cap space, but what if it gives us enough to net us a reasonable starting PF? Not the All-Star most people want, but someone decent to help JV out?

Is that PF upgrade + Ross starting better than DeMar at the max and having to rely on trades to add anything else?
        Im not overly excited about FA this season sjnce everyone is going to be overpaying and trying to figure out the new market.

If we draft a PF (for ex Davis)...between Patt and rookie we shoukd be decent enough at PF until the rookie develops.

I dont think we need to try and solve all of our problems this offseason. Just get rid of the major problems, and move foreward with the youth movement

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
          As far as I'm concerned, what the Raps really need to do is reduce Lowry and Demar's usage, and increase JV's, Ross's, and Carroll's. I'd like to see more high and low post work and PnR for JV, and much more off ball action for Carroll and Ross that is designed to get those guys open catch and shoot situations. The pindown work we do for Demar, or used to do, to get him decent baseline jumpers are an example. We do some of that for Ross, but I feel we should do more of that for our shooters, especially Carroll, who needs those types of plays consistently in order to be a bigger part pf the offence. We really need to reduce our dependence on the drive and kick game of Lowry, Demar, and Jospeh. It's great to have guys that can do that stuff, but it shouldn't be centerpiece of our offence.
          i agree with increasing JVs usage and lowering demars'. maybe the mailman/stockton pick and rolls would be a nice start, but it takes JV away from the basket and his offensive rebounds. A summer with a fantastic out of the post passer (cough sabonis cough) would really jump start a 1/5 lead attack. a 1/5 lead attack would be much more effective, for our team than the 1/2 attack we have again because of demars' lack of a shot. but early in games low post dominance with shooters at the 1/3/4 even opens a lot of space for demar to drive and take a pass on the move to the basket.

all depends on casey and demar though. i really wouldn't be surprised to see demar signed, at market value be that what it is, and traded ala nene when his value is back up again in december january.

Comment

• tenforthewin wrote: View Post
            We should go after the following realistic FA if DeRozan is not signed and have him walk or resign him and trade him to a team for a PF.

1) Nicholas Batum - This guy wants to play for the Raptors and is a better shooter and plays well in the playoff, I say sign him to a three year deal and mold him into our starting SG day one.

2) Allen Crabbe - He could be a decent backup SF as he has shown with the Blazers. With this move, Ross is expendable, a possibly sign and trade Ross to Portland for resigned Allen Crabbe and one of their PF

3) Mirza Teletovic - Could be a decent PF down the stretch as he has really improved over the season but he would demand a big pay day in the summer

4) Dwight Powell - A decent backup PF or a stretch 4, young and Canadian, could be our starting PF for years to come given the right coach to coach him.

5) Jordan Hill - If we can't resign Biyombo (ask for more), we take Jordan Hill, a good backup C behind Valanciunas, although he hasn't shown much in the playoff but his a still a decent player

6) Mareese Speights - Play with a championship team with the Warriors, he would ask for more in the summer, I say give him a chance and give him Biyombo's money in the summer, a decent backup C or starting PF the Raptors need.

7) Gerald Henderson - Decent backup SG, Raptors killer, career backup, give him the vet minimum and start Powell.
            I'd like to see Batum added - he'll likely receive a lot of interest tho

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
              Im not overly excited about FA this season sjnce everyone is going to be overpaying and trying to figure out the new market.

If we draft a PF (for ex Davis)...between Patt and rookie we shoukd be decent enough at PF until the rookie develops.

I dont think we need to try and solve all of our problems this offseason. Just get rid of the major problems, and move foreward with the youth movement
              I agree with a lot of this. This isn't a one-year solution. It needs to be a plan of long-term sustainability.
              twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                No, it's not that bad.

JV can shoot the 15 footer (needs to keep working on that, but it's there), Boogie was actually shooting 33% on 3 3PA per game this year and DeMar has good efficiency on corner threes. You would just need to design and run an actual offence that gets guys shots in certain places on the floor.
                Demar should not be back with this team. In what way has he demonstrated he is part of the answer to move beyond the ECF? He hasn't even demonstrated he is the answer to move beyond the first round. We have advanced despite Demar not because of him. Although I will concede that possibly a different coach and a different system could get more out of Demar. In any case I believe he and the Raptors need to move on.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                  I agree with you. I just think the natural next step is to put the offensive in JV's hands for at least one year before we sell the farm because he can't become that guy. Give him a real, legitimate chance to be the centerpiece.
                  JV will never be the centrepiece while the triangle of stupidity persists

Comment

• Anybody with cap knowledge (really it's DanH), would we get the bird rights for a player if we get him via a sign and trade?

Say for example, if KD signs a 1 + 1 here he wouldn't get bird rights from us in his next deal and we can't go over the cap to sign him. But, what if he gets signed and traded to us on 1+1 deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
                      Anybody with cap knowledge (really it's DanH), would we get the bird rights for a player if we get him via a sign and trade?

Say for example, if KD signs a 1 + 1 here he wouldn't get bird rights from us in his next deal and we can't go over the cap to sign him. But, what if he gets signed and traded to us on 1+1 deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Sign and trades must be at least three years in length - and any option has to be in a 4th year.

And since the deal must be three years, yes, after those three years we would have Bird Rights. But no sign and trade can occur in the scenario you outlined.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        Sign and trades must be at least three years in length - and any option has to be in a 4th year.

And since the deal must be three years, yes, after those three years we would have Bird Rights. But no sign and trade can occur in the scenario you outlined.
                        Damn it. Then, I don't see KD moving from OKC at all. He'll lose a ton of money. 50~ million.

Comment

Damn it. Then, I don't see KD moving from OKC at all. He'll lose a ton of money. 50~ million.
                          The cap jumps again the following summer, so he could sign for 1 year and then sign a 4 year deal with cap space, he loses the 5th year but gets the higher starting salary next summer. I agree though, cards have been stacked against him moving for a while.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            The cap jumps again the following summer, so he could sign for 1 year and then sign a 4 year deal with cap space, he loses the 5th year but gets the higher starting salary next summer. I agree though, cards have been stacked against him moving for a while.
                            Yea, see, even if he signs a 1 year deal with another team they don't get his Birds rights to go over the cap to sign him the following year so they have to have cap space to sign him again. Even though its possible, why would Durant go to a team that would have empty cap space like that. It's a real indicator they aren't winning currently.

Comment

Yea, see, even if he signs a 1 year deal with another team they don't get his Birds rights to go over the cap to sign him the following year so they have to have cap space to sign him again. Even though its possible, why would Durant go to a team that would have empty cap space like that. It's a real indicator they aren't winning currently.
                              Remember, the cap is leaping up again next year. It will be another summer where barely any teams are over the cap.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Sign Batum
                                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                                X