Casey: "We Have To Participate In The Trend Of Going Small At The End of Games"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You are outsmarting yourself.

Just focus on the NOW and let MU worry about 3-4 years down the road. That's what GMs are paid to do and failed at it most of the times.

If OKafor kills it, the game will change again.
    If the Griz win the championship, guess what, everyone will be looking for the next bruising front court.
    If the Hawks wins, guess what,...well we all gonna play motion offense without a superstar.

Coaches are supposed to make perfect teams with imperfect players ; THAT IS THE JOB.
    We can just have fun with it as fans and our projections are BARELY GOOD FOR 6months at a time, so trying to project 3-4 years down the road is an exercise in FUTILITY.

Remember when the THUNDER was supposed to be THE NEXT DYNASTY ??

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I'm not hating on JV. I'm just trying to show you guys. Its going to get harder for JV as the years go on. The game is changing and not in his favour.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
      Look, Casey knows he needs to win a playoff round this year. There will not be another mulligan given.
      Good point.
      "Stop eating your sushi."
      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        Actually JV is regaining what made him such a promising prospect when he was playing for Rytas.

Someone told him to get bigger to bang, remember?
        Well, when you're receiving a pass 15 to 20ft from the basket and you're expected to create your own ISO offense in the post against a double-team without any passing outlets, I suppose you do need to get big. That's a long way to bang.

Comment

We'll see. People say a lot of stuff in the offseason about a lot of things and most of them never come to pass.

Look, Casey knows he needs to win a playoff round this year. There will not be another mulligan given. If he is rolling out a small ball lineup that is losing games, which is what will happen if he insists on it, then he is either going to try something different for the sake of his job (i.e. go big) or he will be fired. End of story.

And, given that they haven't played a single minute of ball yet it's premature to freak out about anything.

That why I figure, when push comes to shove, he will employ the exact same formula that gave him regular season success and expect the newly added players to plug the holes of last year.

Cujo and Carrol and scola will fix the terrible defense by being on the court.

Ross will fill Lou's role

Comment

We'll see. People say a lot of stuff in the offseason about a lot of things and most of them never come to pass.

Look, Casey knows he needs to win a playoff round this year. There will not be another mulligan given. If he is rolling out a small ball lineup that is losing games, which is what will happen if he insists on it, then he is either going to try something different for the sake of his job (i.e. go big) or he will be fired. End of story.

And, given that they haven't played a single minute of ball yet it's premature to freak out about anything.
            its late july,we still have 3 more montths of premature freak outs-) :
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Casey will complain that he lost 2 of his top offensive players from last year (Lou, GV) and his defensive anchor (Amir) who knew all his systems. Bank on those excuses being rolled out at some point.

Comment

There is another outcome which is really at the heart of the matter: what if we win a bunch of meaningless regular season games going small? The east is shit. Our division is still pretty shit. We trot out small ball centres at the five to close out games, JV spends another year on the bench... And we flame out in the first round. Or even if we squeak out of the first round with Scola manning the five, where is the long term value in that?

Nobody's freaking out about anything. These issues were discussed last summer and last season too and we ended up in the exact same place.

There is a saying, when people show you who they are, believe them. Casey continues to hammer the same tired philosophy and yet people expect there to be change? It's insanity.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                  There is another outcome which is really at the heart of the matter: what if we win a bunch of meaningless regular season games going small? The east is shit. Our division is still pretty shit. We trot out small ball centres at the five to close out games, JV spends another year on the bench... And we flame out in the first round. Or even if we squeak out of the first round with Scola manning the five, where is the long term value in that?

Nobody's freaking out about anything. These issues were discussed last summer and last season too and we ended up in the exact same place.

There is a saying, when people show you who they are, believe them. Casey continues to hammer the same tired philosophy and yet people expect there to be change? It's insanity.
                  Gotta pound that rock!
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Slaw's got it right; this year, it's first round win or bust. I'd even go one step further - a good showing in the second round against anyone but Cleveland will be necessary for Casey to continue.

Masai's no fool, and regular season success won't be enough for him.
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                      Based on JV's advanced stats, everyone has a hard time guarding him. He just doesn't get the play calls; quality or volume.

He was the seventh most utilized player last season on the team. That's ridiculous.
                      In that light it is. The scouting report on DC/JV is bang on --he is largely forgotten come fourth quarter time.

Comment

I gotta believe the players tune him out.

Comment

• Casey: "We Have To Participate In The Trend Of Going Small At The End of Games"

Scraptor wrote: View Post

alot of people were saying including myself that we were going to lose first round not only did we lose we got swept!

GM's I am sure follow what the local community says about their team they just think they know better. When every conversation across the city is "we need to stop playing small ball" then the raptors need to stop playing small ball, period. We here in toronto do not want a coach that is going to follow trends. we want a coach that is going to destroy the other team for having the Audacity to think they are going to beat us this way. post up thier undersized 4 and 5 every play down the court till the get tired of having to foul, taking a dunk in thier face or 3's raining down on them cause they had to double team.
                          Last edited by grindhouse; Wed Jul 22, 2015, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                            alot of people were saying including myself that we were going to lose first round not only did we lose we got swept!

GM's I am sure follow what the local community says about their team they just think they know better. When every conversation across the city is "we need to stop playing small ball" then the raptors need to stop playing small ball, period. We here in toronto do not want a coach that is going to follow trends. we want a coach that is going to destroy the other team for having the obesity to think they are going to beat us this way. post up thier undersized 4 and 5 every play down the court till the get tired of having to foul, taking a dunk in thier face or 3's raining down on them cause they had to double team.
                            Obesity 😀

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                              Slaw's got it right; this year, it's first round win or bust. I'd even go one step further - a good showing in the second round against anyone but Cleveland will be necessary for Casey to continue.

Masai's no fool, and regular season success won't be enough for him.
                              And yet it will be another wasted season without development. This is the issue with reacting after the fact. Sometimes you have to look ahead and get ahead of the problem. Firing Casey will be zero consolation if we flame out. Wasting an entire year just to see him fired is like being forced unnecessarily to repeat a grade only for the school to fire the teacher at year-end; that's still a year you never get back.

Masai is no fool, but he set a goal for this team of getting out of the first round this year. We got swept. It isn't a matter of smart vs stupid; even smart people have giant blind spots. Maybe this is his.

Comment

• Casey: "We Have To Participate In The Trend Of Going Small At The End of Games"

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                                Obesity 😀
                                Lol auto correct from my phone fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Last edited by grindhouse; Wed Jul 22, 2015, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X